VAC Benefits

Back to top Go down

Re: Second World War stories of Red Deer-area veterans to be filmed

Post by Alpha on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 5:13 pm

Interviews with Second World War veterans sought

Battlefords News-Optimist
JUNE 8, 2018

Dear Editor

My name is Eric Brunt and I’m a graduate of the film production program at the University of British Columbia. I have been working on a documentary about Canada in the Second World War, inspired by my Grandfather, Clifford Brunt, who served in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the war. He passed away just after his 95th birthday. Having never recorded the stories he told me growing up, I decided to make a film about his generation and what they experienced. Since graduating, I have interviewed 61 veterans across British Columbia and Alberta.

Right now I am in the process of tracking down more Second World War veterans who are willing to share their memories. This summer I am driving my car across Canada, with the final destination being St. John’s, Nfld. In the fall I will be putting together a documentary about the last Canadian Second World War veterans from the footage I have captured.

I am going to be in North Battleford in two weeks and am looking for veterans in the area to interview. I can be contacted at 1-778-714-0071 or ericbruntmedia@gmail.com.

Recently I had an article in the Red Deer Advocate, which gives you a little bit more information about the project. https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/second-world-war-stories-of-red-deer-area-veterans-to-be-filmed/

Let me know if you have any questions. My apologies if I sent this to the wrong email, but I thought these two addresses fit my request the best based on what I found on your website. I can be reached at this email or by telephone (1-778-714-0071).

Thank you for your time,

Eric Brunt

Alpha
Forum Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Highlander on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 12:45 pm

Interviews with WW II veterans sought

Staff / Battlefords News-Optimist
JUNE 14, 2018

Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by Quatorze on Wed 20 Jun 2018, 2:34 pm

Documentary filmmaker searches for veterans

Devin Wilger / Yorkton This Week
JUNE 20, 2018

Quatorze

Back to top Go down

Post by Keshery on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 12:30 pm

'Now or never': B.C. filmmaker traveling across Canada to meet veterans for WWII documentary

MATT OLSON - - - July 5, 2018

Keshery

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer on Tue 31 Jul 2018, 3:44 pm

Documentary project message: war is hell

Winnipegger recalls Second World War horror for documentary

By: Ben Waldman | Posted: 07/30/2018

Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rutherford on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 8:41 am

Filmmaker looking for Sudbury's Second World War veterans

Julia Lloyd For the Sudbury Star
Published on: August 8, 2018

Rutherford

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazzer on Sat 18 Aug 2018, 9:03 am

Documentary to feature North Bay WWII vet

Published Friday, August 17, 2018 7:58PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, August 17, 2018 8:02PM EDT
A Vancouver film-maker is travelling across Canada speaking with World War II veterans about their experience serving overseas.

He stopped in North Bay on Friday to interview a local veteran who served as an air gunner in a Lancaster.

93-year old William Parfitt is reminiscing on his time serving in Europe during World War two. He said the reason he joined the military was because it was the thing to do.

"We were just on the other side of the allied lines towards the end of the war and he said we're getting out of here and of course we're about 18-20,000 feet and he just put the nose down." said Parfitt.

He joined the war when he was 18-years-old and was a tail gunner for planes called Wimpies and Lancasters that bombed over Nazi-controlled Germany.

"When your name was up on the board, you were gone. You never questioned it, whether it was daylight. Daylight raids you could see the fighters there, at night there was nobody there." said Parfitt.

William is telling his story to documentary filmmaker Eric Brunt from Vancouver who has interviewed nearly 140 veterans from across Canada so far.

"I was inspired by my grandfather who was in the Royal Canadian Air Force during the war and when he passed away, a little bit of history passed with him." said Brunt.

That is what made him decide to get in contact with hundreds of veterans, to tell their story.

"Try to find and meet as many as I can and make sure their story is preserved and get it out to as many Canadians as possible." said Brunt.

By coincidence, his great uncle severed in the same squadron as Parfitt.

"Each veteran has their own different experiences, different characters, as you saw today. And I'm just so honoured to be able to sit down with them and listen to them for the first time." said Brunt.

On his way across the country, the documentarian talked to several vets in Sudbury as well.

Tazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Armour+ on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 8:47 am

Gathering the stories of Canada's remaining WWII vets

CBC News · Posted: Aug 19, 2018

Armour+

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down