He never served, but Veterans Affairs pays for convicted murderer's PTSD treatment

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: He never served, but Veterans Affairs pays for convicted murderer's PTSD treatment

Post by Oliver on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 8:19 am

Benefits should be revoked from convicted killers: Veterans' advocate

Mairin Prentiss · CBC News · Posted: Aug 31, 2018

Governor General stripped murderer
Russell Williams
of benefits in 2010

Oliver
VAC Benefits

Back to top Go down

Re: He never served, but Veterans Affairs pays for convicted murderer's PTSD treatment

Post by Tazzer on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 1:04 pm

JESSICA LAWS: An infuriating revelation

Published on: August 31, 2018

Tazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 6:38 pm

Convicted murderer’s PTSD treatment covered by Veterans Affairs

Trooper

Administrator

http://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 6:40 pm

Veterans Affairs pays for cop killer's PTSD care | Sheila Gunn Reid

Trooper

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Matrix on Sat 01 Sep 2018, 2:13 pm

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE — Sept. 1, 2018

Horrifying stories

Re: “PTSD treatment funded by Veterans Affairs” (Aug. 29 story). I truly do not want to open my newspaper again to see the face of Christopher Garnier. I, too, am horrified that he was able to play the system to get his counselling paid for by Veterans Affairs. I do, however, thank the journalist who exposed this affront to real veterans in need of PTSD counselling.

This story, followed by the shameful account of the young rape victim in Truro who was told by an ER staff member to read a pamphet on sexual assault and go home and handle it herself, was too much for one morning. I hope I can be forgiven for allowing my lesser angels a moment or two to wish that ER staffer be put on suspension without pay and sent for retraining.

One part of training for all medical and justice system students and personnel should include viewing Mariska Hargitay’s important and powerful new documentary, I Am Evidence. It may be about the U.S. justice system’s woeful failures in dealing with rape cases, but situations like the one described in your Aug. 30 edition show that we still have a long way to go in Canada.

Elinor Benjamin, Dartmouth

Inexplicable decisions

What is going on? Last week, convicted spy Jeffrey Delisle, sentenced to 20 years for selling communications secrets to the Russians, was granted parole after serving just six. The real damage done from his actions is unknown. Judge Patrick Curran stated at the trial that Delisle “coldly and rationally” offered secret information for money to the Russians. Six years for selling out your country. Shame on the parole board personnel who saw fit to make this decision.

Then this week, I read that Veterans Affairs is funding PTSD treatment for convicted murderer Christopher Garnier. With so many vets seeing their applications for benefits and help turned down, I find it hard to understand how this murderer, who never served in the Canadian military, could possibly qualify for VA benefits.

Wayne F. Blenkhorn, Port Williams, retired from Canadian Forces

PTSD claim an outrage

A man convicted of murder is now claiming committing his crime has caused him to have PTSD? And not only his lawyer but the legal system is buying this? And taxpayers are footing the bill for this? Have we now lost all touch with common sense?

With that logic, anyone now in prison could claim the same and also ask for treatment. This is an insult to all vets, as well as any others who legitimately have PTSD. Furthermore, how many in prison have mental illnesses, even undiagnosed mental illnesses? Are they getting the treatment they need? Even worse, how many vets have their PTSD claims denied? Or having been accepted, still can’t access treatment?

This is an outrage. Someone in authority needs to get their head out of the sand, look around at the reality, then reject this prisoner’s claim and begin providing for all those in desperate need of treatment.

Beverley Burlock, Port Mouton

Guilty conscience

Veterans Affairs is way out of line for giving treatment to convicted killer Christopher Garnier at the expense of deserving veterans. This is not a case of PTSD! This is an attack of conscience over the murder he committed. I hope a guilty conscience haunts him for the rest of his days.

Roy Davis, Lantz

Matrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Highlander on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 7:38 pm

OPINION
A misuse of money meant for veterans

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2018

I'm amazed at the recent news that Veterans Affairs Canada is paying the shot for the post-traumatic stress disorder treatment of a convicted murderer who happens to be the son of a veteran.

I volunteered for many years with Hespeler Branch 272 of the Royal Canadian Legion in various positions, including veterans affairs.

I can assure you, this was never what I and other branch officers worked at to get mainly Second World War veterans some much needed help.

It was always an uphill battle to get them minimum support, such as work around the house, which they could not do anymore.

When we fought that battle, it was for veterans, and their wives and children.

Never, did it cross our mind that it would include adult children.

Roy McGuinness

Cambridge

Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by Highlander on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 7:47 pm

Veteran frustrated feds won’t pay for costs related to wife’s dementia

By Alicia Draus
Reporter Global News
September 4, 2018

Highlander

Back to top Go down

Post by Seawolf on Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:50 pm

Michael Blais was Interviewed - Aug 30, 2018

Seawolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Forwardy on Sun 09 Sep 2018, 9:28 pm

N.S. veteran lost wife to ALS, says Veterans Affairs was no help

Sept 09, 2018

Forwardy

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 6:34 am

Have you noticed how this has just faded away?

This is why the government gets away with the irresponsible acts they do.
Trooper

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Reggie on Thu 20 Sep 2018, 9:29 pm

Conservatives demand end to Veterans Affairs' support for convicted murderer

The Canadian Press
September 20, 2018

Reggie

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 8:31 am

Reggie wrote:
Conservatives demand end to Veterans Affairs' support for convicted murderer

The Canadian Press
September 20, 2018

Thank you Seamus O’Regan, you have just proved to the whole Country that as Minister of Veterans Affairs you allow those beneath you to call the shots for you!

This is why the Veterans file is in chaos, and does not hold merit against the pension act!

Come clean, and tell us all exactly why it is you do not have what it takes to lead the Veterans file!
Trooper

Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Matrix on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 9:28 am

Tories call for ending Garnier's PTSD treatment coverage

Sept 20, 2018

Matrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Beefer on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 10:11 am

Matrix wrote:
Tories call for ending Garnier's PTSD treatment coverage

Sept 20, 2018

The Prime Minister is not answering the question. What's the use of question period if our own Prime Minister does not answer the questions?
Beefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 10:37 am

Trudeau's logic doesn't wash.

"When someone serves in the Armed Forces, their whole family serves".

Okay fair enough. I get this. A soldier is deployed to the Stan for example and suffers catastrophic wounds inflicted by the enemy, both mental and physical.

Soldier goes home and life is rough for the veteran and his family due to the vets disabilities. In this case family should qualify for the appropriate benefits.

However, Garnier's apparent PTSD was caused by him murdering an off duty police officer. In other words, his illness has nothing to do with his father's service in the Armed Forces.

Garnier is ineligible for treatment provided by VAC in my opinion.
Bruce72
Forum Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next