Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letter to the Editor

Go down

Letter to the Editor Empty Letter to the Editor

Post by Starman Sat 15 Sep 2018, 8:40 am

Our veterans

CONTRIBUTED TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL - Sept 15, 2018

Letter to the Editor GAMB4AF7Q5BX7LB2KUGY4UBQ6A

OUR VETERANS. OURS. ACT

I’ve conducted the burial service for many veterans (Our Veterans Deserve Better – editorial, Sept. 13). Some of the worst experiences of my life as a clergyman are wrapped up in Canada’s war veterans. Nobody gives a damn is my lasting memory. There is nothing more shameful than a nation which has abandoned its own troops in their hour of death. It actually gets worse. Beautiful men and women who are now offered $2,000, and this is considered a good result?

From the graveside of babies, to children, to adults and seniors, I’ve lost count. From PTSD, to murder, to suicide. Forty years of service has left me broken. Hardest of all was the standing at an empty grave. One vet in a casket, one old widow wondering how to pay the padre and a stranger.

I myself live with PTSD. I have heard over and over from politicians, “We can and must do better for our ailing veterans.” History won’t treat these leaders well. It’s far too late to keep promising. Act.

Rev. Peter Grogan, Sarnia, Ont.

Starman
Starman
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down