Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letters / Opinions

+55
Replica
SniperGod
Silversun
Riverway
Trooper
kodiak
Jumper
Maxstar
Charlie
Lucifer
Jackal
Viper
Leopard
Ironman
Stanleyz
Colter
Sandman
Zoneforce
Gridlock
Alpha
Cooper
Firestrike
Vizzer
Diesel
Ranger
RevForce
Rockarm
Marshall
Silveray
Proctor
Dragonforce
Powergunner
Terrarium
Thunder
Mojave
Jeremiah
Forcell
Delta
Garrison
Rifleman
Phantom
Victor
Hammercore
Ravenson
Lionfield
Zapper
Rekert
Falcon
Warrior
Xrayxservice
Lonestar
Phrampton
Wolverine
Magnum
Spider
59 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Letters / Opinions - Page 5 Empty Re: Letters / Opinions

Post by Lucifer Mon 19 Aug 2019, 10:28 am

Opinion

SNC-Lavalin scandal just part in Canada’s history of problematic corporate power

Samuel Helguero / Aug 19, 2019

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/snc-lavalins-corporate-power-is-a-stark-reminder-of-harpers-bombing-of-libya/

Lucifer
Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlie Mon 19 Aug 2019, 5:07 pm

Letters / Opinions - Page 5 18159476_web1_190820-NBU-letter-snowbirds_1

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Snowbirds’ militarism shouldn’t be celebrated

Aug. 19, 2019

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor-snowbirds-militarism-shouldnt-be-celebrated/

Charlie
Charlie

Back to top Go down

Post by Phrampton Thu 22 Aug 2019, 2:08 pm

Letters to The Province, Aug. 22, 2019: Funny that Trudeau apologizes for other leaders' mistakes but not his own

Published:
August 21, 2019

Letters / Opinions - Page 5 Cpt108-the-canadian-press-2

Phrampton
Phrampton

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxstar Sat 24 Aug 2019, 9:23 am

Letters: August 24, 2019

Letters / Opinions - Page 5 Jack2-e1566344020150

Got your back, Jihadi Jack

So Jihadi Jack is looking for a country to go to? How about Canada? The current government welcomes ISIS fighter regardless of their past actions. Justin Trudeau, will no doubt see this as an overall political gain and use his influence to make this happen. This will be made very public as everyone knows there is an election coming. The compensation package Jack will receive from the Liberals will be kept under wraps unless this multi-million dollar figure “leaks out” as in the Khadr payout. Trudeau himself told a disabled Canadian military veteran in Edmonton, (injured while serving), “there are no funds available at this time to help people like yourself”. Trudeau somehow found a lot of taxpayer money for Khadr, complete with and apology (surprise?) The veteran received lip service and an excuse. It is a given Jihadi Jack will come to Canada, thanks to Trudeau, so why doesn’t Jack move in to Rideau Cottage. Here he can live comfortably, socialize and slowly integrate into Canadian society with the Trudeau family. Jack can also be rehabilitated on the taxpayers dime. The Trudeau government has worked long and hard to make Canada the world renowned “country of acceptance” of ex ISIS fighter regardless of their past, their actions or past “responsible for’s”. Sad as this all is, this is the Liberal government and their actions. This can and must be stopped in October.

Rolly Klaepatz

Canadians will have their say in October.

Maxstar
Maxstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolverine Sat 24 Aug 2019, 5:06 pm

Letter: Medals available for Canadian veterans

Aug. 24, 2019

Letters / Opinions - Page 5 18140833_web1_National-Order-of-the-Legion-of-Honour---France

Wolverine
Wolverine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jumper Mon 26 Aug 2019, 9:17 am

Letters / Opinions - Page 5 18249831_web1_190827-NBU-letters-snowbirds_1

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Snowbirds put on a show, not a military exercise

Aug. 25, 2019

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor-snowbirds-put-on-a-show-not-a-military-exercise/

Jumper
Jumper

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrarium Mon 26 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm

Warriors' Day in Cambridge hits milestone

Aug 26, 2019

Letters / Opinions - Page 5 Pat%20Baker_Super_Portrait
Preston legion member Pat Baker, general chairman of Cambridge’s Warriors’ Day. - Walter Gowing photo

Warriors’ Day is upon us again. It is a time to remember and celebrate the brave lives of Canadian men and women for their service during wartime years.

Pat Baker, co-ordinator of the event in this city, announced, “That Sept. 6 and 7 will be recognized in Cambridge as Warriors’ Day.”

This is the 25th annual Warriors’ Day celebration in Cambridge.

The first Warriors’ Day in Canada was held in 1921 at the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto. It has continued every year with a parade and celebration.

The first Warriors’ Day event in Cambridge was organized by the late David Mulholland and Pat Baker 25 years ago. Mulholland had served in the Second World War with the British Royal Marines and lived in Cambridge. Baker is a distinguished member of the Royal Canadian Legion, Preston Branch 126, and recipient of many service awards.

Activities will get underway on the Friday evening with some great choral music. The Cambridge Seniors’ Choir will entertain in Preston’s Royal Canadian Legion Hall, branch 126, on Westminster Drive North.

“There will be wine and cheese,” said Baker, “and entertainment, with the public invited. There will be a donation box for those who wish to contribute.”

On Saturday, Sept. 7, beginning at noon at the Preston Legion, a military band tattoo and memorial service will take place. It will open with wreath laying and the playing of The Last Post. It will be the 75th remembrance of D-Day.

Joseph Gowing will be the MC for the event, with participants including Preston Legion president Wayne Hyde, Pat Baker, Mayor Kathryn McGarry, MP Bryan May and MPP Belinda Karahalios, along with legion padre David Boyer.

Bring your chairs for the afternoon tattoo performance, as seating may be limited. There is a fantastic selection of bands that will perform for the audience.

The outstanding Toronto Signal Regiment Band with play, as will the Waterloo Regional Police Band. The famous junior and senior Preston Scout House Bands will perform.

And there is more with the Cambridge Pipe Band and the Royal Canadian Air Force Tudor Squadron 822 Pipe Band playing as part of the tattoo.

As always, a great musical sound will come from the Toronto All-Star Accordion Band. Organizers predict a fabulous afternoon of band music on the parade square of the Preston Legion.

The tattoo is free to the general public, who is encouraged to attend and honour our Canadian veterans.

Walter Gowing is a lifelong Cambridge resident, author and journalist who has been to 131 countries worldwide. His latest book is Vanishing Gold.

Terrarium
Terrarium

Back to top Go down

Post by Leopard Sat 31 Aug 2019, 10:05 am

Letters, Aug. 31: 'Use 24 Sussex Drive reno money for our vets'

Published:
August 31, 2019

Letters / Opinions - Page 5 1017_attic_residences_64431566-e1566755127184
24 Sussex Drive is seen on May 30, 2018.

SAVE FOR VETS
So the PM has earmarked $3 million to help out veterans that are homeless, and they are also asking for $35 million to upgrade 24 Sussex Drive. I would rather give $35 million to veterans, and have politicians live more modestly. Really, why is a $35-million home needed for a PM anyway. To show off. The veterans deserve much more respect than the ones pushing paper behind the desks.
DARCY LEWIS

(We agree that veterans have earned the world, but our PM needs a nice place, too. Historic housing is not cheap.)

Leopard
Leopard

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Tue 01 Oct 2019, 6:44 pm

Letters / Opinions - Page 5 Writing

Oct 1. 2019

Don’t trust Tory promise to veterans

Andrew Scheer has recently made promises to improve veterans’ benefits and services. But can we believe him? When he was part of Stephen Harper’s team in power, the Conservative government closed nine Veterans Affairs offices, cut 900 Veterans Affairs jobs, and clawed back benefits, leaving many veterans out in the cold.

The Conservative government betrayed Canada’s veterans.

Their record:

-In January 2014, the federal government shut down nine District Veterans Affairs offices in Corner Brook, Charlottetown, Sydney, Windsor, Thunder Bay, Brandon, Saskatoon, Kelowna and Prince George.
-Veterans Affairs lost more than 900 full-time-equivalent jobs out of 4,000 between 2012 and 2015 (that’s nearly a quarter of the workforce). Veterans Affairs offices were so short-staffed that there was a backlog of six to eight months -in providing requested services to veterans.
-In 2014, according to a report by Auditor General Michael Ferguson, one in five Canadian veterans suffering from a mental illness and injury was being forced to wait more than eight months before their requests for help were answered.
-The government was found by the courts to be illegally clawing back benefits from disabled veterans in 2012. The Harper government’s lawyers fought the veterans in court for years.
PSAC fought alongside veterans’ groups to get the nine offices reopened, which only happened after the Conservatives lost the election. We also campaigned to restore funding to Veterans Affairs and against the privatization of veterans’ services.

We need a government that will support Canada’s veterans and the people who provide services to them. We don’t want to go back.

Chris Aylward, national president,

Public Service Alliance of Canada, Ottawa

Lucifer
Lucifer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lonestar Wed 09 Oct 2019, 9:40 am

Lonestar
Lonestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnum Wed 09 Oct 2019, 5:36 pm

EDITOR:

When I was 18, I decided to join the Canadian Armed Forces. I was born in a small village in Quebec named Bienville. I tried to join (the Armed Forces) in Ottawa, as I was living there at my brother’s place to learn English and work.

When I went to the recruiting depot, they told me my English was not sufficient, so I went to Hull on the Quebec side and joined with no problems. I did my basic training in French in Quebec, and then transferred to Kingston for my training to be a mechanic. That is the first time I experienced problems trying to express myself and understand what my teachers were telling me. In other words, I struggled a lot but passed my courses.

Then I was stationed in southern Ontario. I had problems but I worked at it. I became fluent in English and French, and could get around in Italian and Spanish. I served in many countries with minimum problems because people were judging me not because of my language barrier but my willingness to learn.

The reason I am writing this letter is I watched the French debate on CBC, and turned it off soon when I saw our prime minister, having been raised in a French Canadian background and having been fortunate to also been taught English, try to take advantage of other leaders — especially Mr. Scheer — knowing that Scheer has trouble expressing his view in French and understanding the eccentricities of the French language (let alone the French Canadian (Joual) that he was using.

Shame on Mr. Trudeau. You cannot judge a person that is learning a different language — believe me, all the ribbing I took, including the word “frog.” I lost respect for Mr. Trudeau Wednesday night, and I will show ... when I will be voting. Like they say, language could be a barrier, but if you are a good person and have a strong accent, who really cares in this beautiful country.

Simon Lemay,

North Rustico

Magnum
Magnum

Back to top Go down

Post by kodiak Sat 12 Oct 2019, 6:25 pm

Letters to the Editor, Oct. 12, 2019: Shallow federal election campaign saddening

https://leaderpost.com/opinion/letters/letters-to-the-editor-oct-12-2019-govt-execs-salary-illustrates-flexibility

kodiak
kodiak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman Sun 13 Oct 2019, 4:53 pm

Sandman
Sandman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Wed 16 Oct 2019, 8:26 pm

Jeremiah
Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post by Proctor Thu 17 Oct 2019, 4:50 pm

Military posers insult real veterans: writer

Fake medals and bogus insignia insulting to service members

Oct. 17, 2019

Dear editor,

Wetaskiwin, Alberta, saw a military poser found guilty of wearing fake medals under Section 419 (b) of the Criminal Code of Canada (Unlawful use of military uniforms or certificates). Robert Cooper received a $1,500 fine, 1 year of probation and 10 hours of community service.

I was in Wetaskiwin court that day with other veterans and watched Cooper plead guilty and get sentenced.

A lot of these posers, like Robert Cooper, have served in the military. It seems that just being a veteran having, or not having, awarded medals isn’t good enough for some. Some wear fake badges or other fake accoutrements. Serving just one day in uniform should be honour enough.

At Remembrance Day in Ottawa 2014, another military poser was exposed. Frank Gervais was found guilty of wearing a fake military uniform and medals and was sentenced to 12 months probation and 50 hours of community service. He had never served in the military.

Red Deer, Alberta saw its own fake veteran when Peter Toth, a civilian, showed up at three local schools during their Remembrance Day Ceremonies wearing a fake uniform with fake medals. He was found guilty of the fake medals and holding a false military certificate. He received 18 months probation and 200 hours of community service.

However, one only has to attend services at a local cenotaph to find members of so-called veteran’s service organizations wearing self-awarded medals, unearned badges and bogus insignia. Their selfish actions do nothing but insult the gallantry, dedication to duty, integrity, honesty and sacrifices made by members of Canadian military.

Some of these posers know how to toe the line with regards to Section 419 and not wear any uniforms, medals or badges but still tell their fake poser stories of military service to anyone that will listen. Unfortunately, this is not a criminal offence but, morally and ethically, it is so wrong.

We remember the blood, sweat and tears that it took to earn a piece of metal attached to coloured ribbon, a strip of cloth or an embroidered badge, and that is why we get somewhat emotional about them.

Fakery is not flattery, it’s cold, calculated deception with the goal of having one’s self-esteem issues assuaged by basking in the reflected glory of honourable men and women who have selflessly served this great country.

One must ask how many receptions honouring veterans have these fakers been invited to due to their “special status and position of honour “within their respective groups?

How many of these fakers, embellishers and out-right fraud artists have received thanks for their service by an unsuspecting public?

If the answer is one, then even that is one too many. Please stop this and any form of Stolen Valour.

MCpl Michael Barclay, CD (Retired), Innisfail

Proctor
Proctor
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum