Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uber driver who allegedly refused ride to woman with service dog charged

Go down

Uber driver who allegedly refused ride to woman with service dog charged Empty Uber driver who allegedly refused ride to woman with service dog charged

Post by Powergunner Sun 10 Feb 2019, 5:50 pm

CTVNews.ca Staff, with files from CTV Ottawa
Published Sunday, February 10, 2019

An Uber driver was charged with a bylaw offence after he allegedly refused to pick up a passenger with a service dog.

Last weekend, CTV News covered the plight of Shelby Travers -- who requires the use of a guide dog -- who said when her Uber driver pulled up, rolled down his window and he told her he doesn’t take dogs.

“As I was saying ‘I’m blind, she’s my guide dog,’ he drove away with me still holding onto the car,” Travers told CTV Ottawa. “Then I just broke down like in the streets … my arm felt like it was yanked out.”

But more recently, she said the city notified her that the Uber driver was issued a summons to appear in court in March.

The city said there was a violation of a bylaw which states "all licensees must comply with all applicable federal and provincial laws and regulations and municipal by laws."

When the story broke last weekend, Uber had issued a written statement saying it was upset about what happened and added drivers must agree to accommodate riders with service animals because it’s the law.

All 13 provinces and territories have legislation to punish service providers who discriminate against people with disabilities. In Ontario, the maximum fine under the Blind Persons' Rights Act is $5,000.

Travers said she’s experienced similar incidents in Calgary and Toronto and added, “I just want this to stop happening.”

Powergunner
Powergunner
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum