How does the government view the Pension Act?

Go down

How does the government view the Pension Act?

Post by Trooper on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 6:37 pm

The government views the old Pension Act as a blank cheque given to disabled Veterans and that's it, thanks you very much. The government views the New Veterans Charter as a much more detailed system that is much better than the old pension act in terms of everything from security, to a much larger group of benefits that is much more suitable for today's disabled Veterans.

In fact this is coming from the bureaucrats, the Minister of Veterans Affairs just happens to agree with the bureaucrats.

What does this tell you about Seamus O’Regan? It tells you two things, the Minister like his predecessors will run the Veterans file from what comes from the bureaucrats, they will be no difference between Kent Hehr, and Seamus O’Regan.

On Nov 10, 2017 from his hospital bed during an interview with Paddy Daly Seamus said just that, the pension act of 1919 we wrote you a blank cheque and said thank you very much.

Go to 34:48 of the interview to hear Seamus state those words: http://vocm.com/shows/daily-on-vocm/open-line-with-paddy-daly/

Well the bureaucrats, the Minister and those that surround him, the OVO all got it wrong!
In fact this tone or opinion has been used by the government since the enacting of the New Veterans Charter.
It is a diversion tactic used by the government to divert from the truth of the merits from the old pension act.
They, the government say that the New Veterans Charter offers more benefits than the old pension act, therefore it is more suitable for today's Veterans. It is better than the old pension act. They use quantity to justify quality, this is not legit, and it makes no sense at all. The only thing this proves is the governments failure to step up and truly look after it's disabled Veterans. They, the government have allowed the bureaucrats of this Country to write up a system that is inferior from the system they took away from Veterans. It is the governments responsibility to look after the well being of it's Veterans, it is the Minister of Veterans Affairs duty to ensure things like inferior systems do not continue to be active. They have let us all down, they are weak and uneducated in terms of understanding where the real problem lies. They all look after themselves not wanting to cause waves in their inner circles resulting in Veterans getting the raw deal.

This blank cheque theory they talk about gave disabled Veterans tax free security for life with no strings attached. Tax free security for life, the top benefit needed to stay in place but was taken away because of the blank cheque theory, what a joke to think Veterans are that stupid to believe in such bullshyte. They took our lifeline away, and now they are selling something that is far more inferior, and far less beneficial to the disabled Veteran. It's pretty hard to trust the government when these things are happening right in front of our eyes.

The blank cheque theory is missing other things besides the tax free security for life.

It also had various benefits that were also tax free;

Clothing Allowance

Veterans Independence Program & Grounds maintenance & Housekeeping

Attendance Allowance

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance

So what is the difference between the old pension act and the new veterans charter?

The old pension act had Quality.

The new veterans charter has quantity

One cannot compare to the other no matter how hard the government tries to sell it. The old pension act was, and will always be far superior than the new veterans charter.
Don't fall for the governments trap with this new veterans charter, remember, neither the PM nor the Minister of Veterans Affairs understand the real difference between the both systems, they will go by what the bureaucrats are telling them, and the bureaucrats are looking after their own well being.

Seamus O’Regan may mean well like his predecessor Kent Hehr, but at the end of the day, they are both useless.
Hehr could not deliver, Seamus won't deliver either.
Trooper

Administrator

http://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: How does the government view the Pension Act?

Post by Dameon on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 10:29 pm

That poses an interesting question Trooper, why is the old pension act better? I know very little about it. I know it was a lot harder to get accepted by VAC for an injury. The old stories of being denied the first time, guaranteed, then having to appeal once, or several times before getting approved. It makes me wonder if I would have ever gotten approved under the old system. Plus, mostly what I remember from the old guys on it, was that they were cut a cheque, had to submit receipts every month for VIP services, and were basically hands off from VAC. The new charter does seem to give a more hands on approach, but since I am not familiar with the old system, I can't make that comparison.

What I would like to see, is a pension, plus help with recovery, maintenance, etc... My biggest problem with the new charter is that it seems to keep veterans' from getting real help because they are afraid if they get better, that they will lose benefits. Which makes sense from a bean counter perspective, but it hardly gives us incentive to better ourselves.

Anyway, I would love to hear why the old pension is better than the new charter, and why we would want that back. And please don't think I am on the attack, I am just ignorant of the old system.

Dameon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 8:20 am

Example.

My roommate (same incident) cleared xxxx of dollars a month, since 1999 under the PA.
He's on the old, I am on the new.
12 months x $5,000(rough amount) x 18 years= $ 1,080,00
Myself, I never complained or acknowledged that I had an injury.
Applied in 2008, accepted in 2011.  
They dragged their feet (GoC).  
Now myself, I got a chump-sum payment, (ELB) that can be cut off and CIA (which is peanuts in dollar amount).
Why am I Bitter?  
I know the difference.  
I've been shortchanged, where as my other fellow brother in arms hasn't.
He's gainfully employed, graduated from university and has no fear of losing a cent from his benefits.
Is he able to recover/retire at  his/her choosing in peace? I'm not.

Pension Act as a blank cheque, just like our lives is valued, when we swear an oath to protect our country.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1089

This full of bologna talking head has the power to do this?
14.On cancelling the EL benefit, the Minister must notify the client in writing of the reasons and effective date of the cancellation, and of their rights of review.

But yet again, they can't "the minister" (or now concrete in my mind ,The Monster of Veterans Affairs) reverse decisions to benefit Veterans.

Last edited by Dannypaj on Wed 22 Nov 2017, 5:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Dannypaj
Forum Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 8:33 am

Dameon,

Why is the pension act better? It's a fair question, and it's a question that the bureaucrats don't like to hear.

They are many factors that puts the old pension act far more superior than the new veterans charter.

The first fact is the tax free system that is in place with the old pension act. If anyone thinks this factor is not significant, they have not received the full 100% of benefits from the old pension act. Every benefit within the old pension act is tax free. This tax free element reduces stress among those suffering from medical conditions, it gives financial security which allows those suffering from medical conditions related to service to concentrate more on those conditions, and less on financial hardship. It is the financial security that must be addressed first, not the other way around. A simple way of comparing taxed to non taxed would be to look at two Identical new vehicles, same exact price, one is being sold taxed, the other is being sold non taxed, which one is the better deal, of course it would be the non taxed. Same goes with the new veterans fully taxed charter, the old tax free pension act is a better deal. The new veterans charter may have quantity, but the old pension act has quality given the tax free system. I need not have to prove this as a simple calculator and some common sense will prove it on it's own.

Benefits from the old pension act are for life, the only lifetime benefits from the new charter are the CIA, and the CIA Supplement.

With the old pension act you were not pressured by VAC to validate your situation in terms of health, yes it is true with the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance you were required to fill out a form once a year. The form was simple to fill, it took less than five minutes, and it was set up to find out if you would qualify for an increase in the level of the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance, not to disqualify you from receiving further allowance, in fact I have not heard of anyone getting cut off of their Exceptional Incapacity Allowance. It even came with a pre paid self address envelope.

As far as being hard to obtain benefits from the old pension act, no harder than those benefits from the new veterans charter, in fact I would argue easier than the new veterans charter.

Here's how the old pension act worked, you had a disability pension which was tax free for life. The max was set out at 100% for funds allotted within the pension itself, you could go beyond the 100% mark but no further funds. This was referred as the pension portion of the old pension act, tax free for life.
Then you had the benefits over and above the pension portion such as;

Clothing Allowance

Veterans Independence Program & Grounds maintenance & Housekeeping

Attendance Allowance

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance

All tax free, and for life.

Here's the best part of these benefits from the old pension act, all of the above benefits could be approved by one simple visit from your case manager. That's right, one visit, that's the way it was set up.

As far as getting, or asking for help over and above what is all written above, no problem. VAC was always perfectly willing and able to answer or provide assistance on the request of the disabled Veteran.

In today's world the government would say otherwise, they would use terms such as blank cheques, and Veterans were left on their own. Veterans were not getting the help they need in today's environment, and the new veterans charter was designed to do just that, provide more help. That is not true, the old pension act provided the help when needed, yes it is true the Veterans would be left alone while on the old pension act, but this was a good thing because those Veterans had access to help at anytime with a simple phone call to VAC. No one is saying that there should not be improvements in any of the both systems, but to use improvements to discredit the old pension act is not realistic, it is a tactic used to influence people to buy into the new veterans charter, a tactic that has worked since the enacting of the new veterans charter. But now people are starting to catch on to these tactics, they look at Veterans pre 2006 and post 2006 both from the same war, the Veteran pre 2006 is far better off than the Veteran post 2006. This is not a story, this is fact.

So there you have it, the old pension act being far superior than the new veterans charter.

So why the new veterans charter?
Why was this created?
Was it to save money?

Here's what I think,

I don't think it was so much to save money, what I think is that it was created to create future work for bureaucrats, future security for the bureaucrats. The bureaucrats were looking after themselves in creating this new charter, with the old pension act Veterans were secured, Veterans had no need to flood the channels with applications or complaints because once they got to the top of the ladder, the bureaucrats were no longer needed. This left the bureaucrats in a bad way in terms of their future, they needed to create something that would cause constant chaos within the Veterans file, they succeeded with the creation of the new veterans charter. Just look around today at our file, take a hard look at the constant chaos and the stupidity of legislation coming forward on the Veterans file, it is a mess, it is in no way better than the old pension act. Forget about the Minister of Veterans Affairs doing anything major to fix this problem, because in order to fix it, he needs to go against the bureaucrats, something he will never do.

This is the way I see it, it is only my opinion, it is not meant to persuade or influence others to see it my way, those who embrace the new charter, I respect your view, we all have our own opinion on the subject, we should respect all the opinions whether we agree with it, or not.
Trooper

Administrator

http://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 9:22 am

Thanks and well put.
BZ.
If anyone deserve praise, it's is you Shocked !
When you read the difference and live the difference, you're basically at the mercy of the NVC .
"I'm always having to check myVAC account to make sure I am not cut-off from the NVC". Apparently I am not alone.
And being locked into both Pension Act and New Veteran's Charter, I know the difference between the taste of the shytty end of the stick and the sugary end of the stick .
Dannypaj
Forum Advocate

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxstar on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 10:36 am

I don't receive anything from the old system, I wish I did. I hope they go back to the old system this tax thing is not fair.
Maxstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dameon on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 1:05 pm

Thanks Trooper. I think I get it now. In some ways I still think I owe VAC something for their help, and before anyone freaks, I understand, my therapist is working on me. The longer I am playing the VAC game, the more I realize how broken the system currently is. And I agree, some security would give some piece of mind, and I could use a little of that right now.

I can't thank you enough for the work you do on here.

Dameon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down