Service dog handlers face bitter pushback, kicked out of public places

Go down

Service dog handlers face bitter pushback, kicked out of public places

Post by Accer on Wed 22 Nov 2017, 10:46 am

Canadian Forces vet booted from mall, child with diabetes rejected from public places

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/service-dogs-corner-brook-goose-bay-1.4412841
Accer

CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Re: Service dog handlers face bitter pushback, kicked out of public places

Post by bosn181 on Wed 22 Nov 2017, 2:55 pm

i have mixed emotions on service dogs, for anyone that has a properly certified trained animal then i am all for bringing them anywhere you want to go. on the other hand i know about a half dozen or more vets in my area that have animals and they ordered there service vests off the internet and put them on there personal pets letting others think that they are a properly trained service dog. this has caused a small problem in our area with the vets that have had there animals properly trained and for the ones that only ordered a vest put it on there pet and take them out wanting the same rights as certified ones. i know i get backlash from people when i talk about this but if you spend a ton of money in training and you get certified and then a person buying a vest for a pet takes animal to a group environment and then lets them run around the group doing what they want like sniffing you or other dogs then this can cause a problem like i have seen where the people certified decide to no longer show to support groups because there animal is meant to be sitting by there side and not running around in some cases out of control. i have heard some places are now ? if your animal is a certified service dog so like i said i have mixed emotions on this and i feel if the pet helps you great keep it up but remember not all dogs out in public are actual certified service dogs and this will cause ?'s hopefully for the ones with no certification they will not get upset and understand how this causes stress for the ones that went through the process of certification like i said if having a pet with a vest off the internet and it works for you thats great

bosn181

Back to top Go down

Post by JAFO on Wed 22 Nov 2017, 3:58 pm

You are not going to get any grief with me Bosn. I too have seen to many fraud "service dogs" vests.

IMO if you get a properly trained service dog for PTSD, diabetes etc then the owner should have a gov't certified card to show people who question them.

Also the police have to be ready to lay charges of fraud if a person is trying to pass a pet as a service dog. These posers make it hard for legit people.
JAFO

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 on Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:51 pm

i would love to see vac cover the cost or help with the cost of a ptsd animal but i know the cost will be more than they are willing to help with knowing that it can and will help but i also know they don't think we are worth that much per trained service animal so thats why i have mixed emotions at the end of the day you need to do what you need to do to make it through each day and maybe just maybe you won't have a maximum price tag put on your head by the people that send you into harms way and take credit with the public and forget about what it cost on a soliders body and mind to get there.

bosn181

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 3:01 pm

I have a certified service dog. The organization that trained me and my dog is Vancouver island compassion dogs.(https://vicompassiondogs.ca/) This is a non profit program that trains dogs only for veterans with PTSD. As far as I know this is the only program where the veteran is paired with a dog and they are trained together for one year. This bi-weekly training is a huge commitment but it is very rewarding. Normally after one year of training the veterans and their dogs are tested by the Justice Institute of BC. Upon passing they are issued a government ID card (looks like a drivers licence) which gives authority to enter any public place. Establishments that do not comply can be charged under the Guide dog and service dog Act of BC. I personally have never been challenged but I know people that have. Many times they are told that previous bad experiences with "service or therapy dogs" has caused these refusals. You veterans out there that are using fake service dogs are not helping the cause of legit service dogs and their handlers. We do our best to educate the public about service dogs and if there is any doubt about the legitimacy of a service dog, ask to see credentials. We are only too happy to proudly show our ID card which we worked so hard for. If you know of fake service dog owners please encourage them to refer to their animals as their pets or companions.

prawnstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down