Pension Act Reassessments

Go down

Pension Act Reassessments

Post by Nemo on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:09 pm

For those that have a lifetime pension under the pension act prior to the NVC, what has been your experience in increasing your assessment of you disability percentage? Is it fairly hard to get an increase on a reassessment?

Nemo

Back to top Go down

Re: Pension Act Reassessments

Post by Trooper on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:34 am

Nemo wrote:For those that have a lifetime pension under the pension act prior to the NVC, what has been your experience in increasing your assessment of you disability percentage?  Is it fairly hard to get an increase on a reassessment?

Nemo,

I have not applied for a reassessment from the pension act. However, I know the process, and know of some who have applied and said that it was a long and stressful process, some saying it wasn't worth it. That is not to discourage you to apply, it is just what I read.

The process is based on two principals, clinical examination findings from either an applicant’s personalphysician/practitioner or a Departmental Medical Officer and the assessment of the disability in accordance with the Table of Disabilities.

Note: Assessments for pensioned individuals or bracketed disabilities which were established using the 1995 edition of the Table of Disabilities are grandfathered and protected from any decrease in assessment related to the introduction of the 2006 edition of the Table of Disabilities.

So putting aside the snail pace that comes with VAC, it looks like it boils down to what your doctor writes on the medical questionnaire, and the Table of Disabilities.

One thing you can consider if you have My VAC Account is to send a message through My VAC Account telling them that your pension condition from the pension act has worsen, you would like to apply for a Reassessment of that condition. VAC will then send you all the necessary applications/forms for you to submit for your Reassessment. This does not commit you to apply, it simply gives you the necessary info, and forms to apply. If when you receive all the necessary info from VAC and decide it's not worth it, you can hold off on applying for the reassessment. The decision is left with you. If your case manager pushes you to apply, the decision to apply is again left up to you.

Assessment and Reassessment of a Disability:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1454
Trooper

Administrator

http://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:53 am

My old case manager once told me if you are going to ask for re-assessment for your back go to your Doc, complain about your back have him/her refer you for X-rays, catscan/MRI and see an orthopedic surgeon. Do all of this without mentioning VAC. Then request a re-assessment. The medical records they get from doctors will show what your condition is and then jump through all the VAC hoops. I have a PA pension for my back but due to my effed up head space I don't have the energy to do it.

prawnstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down