How to Applying for VAC Benefits

Go down

How to Applying for VAC Benefits

Post by Trooper on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 10:19 am

Step 1 - Get an Application Form

The first step to apply for disability benefits through Veterans Affairs Canada, is to fill out the proper application form. You can get one through any of the following:

  • Using My VAC Account
    If you are registered for My VAC Account, you can submit your application for disability benefits online. My VAC Account offers a guided web form that makes applying for disability benefits easier. If you aren't registered, you can register now.

  • By visiting one of our Area Offices or Service Canada Centres
    To find the office nearest you, view our map. Staff can work with you to help you prepare your application and to identify where you can get the information you need to support your application.

  • Calling Us
    If you prefer to speak with someone over the phone, call us at 1-866-522-2122 and we will mail you an application package.

  • Contacting a Service Officer
    Service Officers with The Royal Canadian Legion or War Amps of Canada can also assist you with every aspect of your application, including helping you get all of the information you need to support your application such as service records and medical documents. Their assistance is free of charge.  The Royal Canadian Legion:  War Amps of Canada:

Step 2 - What You Need to Apply

To receive a disability benefit you must:
1. have a diagnosed medical condition or disability; and
2. be able to show that the condition or disability is related to your service.

Your application must contain information that provides details of your disability and your service. Please make sure you have all the information listed below before submitting your application. This will help us review your application and get a decision to you as soon as possible. If we don't have all of this information, then the decision-making process will take longer.

Service relationship

To be eligible for a disability benefit, your service health records should contain sufficient evidence to show that your disability is related to your service.

Your completed application for disability benefits must contain the following:

  • Medical information to support your application (including a current diagnosis of your condition):

    If you are still serving, we will get this information from your service health records. If the information we need is not in your records, we will contact you.

    If you are released, you must have your doctor or health care professional complete and sign the relevant medical questionnaire(s).

    Please do not have a medical questionnaire completed until you have been provided with specific instructions regarding the questionnaire(s) required.

    Service Information – If you are currently serving with the Canadian Armed Forces, include a copy of your Member Personnel Record Resume (MPRR).

    If this is your first application to Veterans Affairs Canada, we will also need a "Proof of Identity" such as a copy of your driver's license.

Step 3 - Submit Your Application

If you use My VAC Account your application will be submitted electronically.

If not, once you have completed your application package, you can mail it to:

  • Veterans Affairs Canada
    PO Box 6000
    Matane QC G4W 0E4

    or hand deliver your application package to one of our area offices or at any Service Canada office. To find the office nearest you, view our map.

Service Canada:

view our map:



Posts : 1130
Join date : 2017-10-07

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum