CIA eligibility

Go down

CIA eligibility

Post by iceman on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 7:30 pm

I have a question regarding CIA eligibility

I released myself over 25 years ago, as soon as i could after the gulf war, due to what i believe now was at that time PTSD related.
naturally, at that time ,there were no checks or balances, you want to get released, fine, 6 months later i was out

I have in the last few years been diagnosed with PTSD from the war and have a DA award of 35%
I was in for the long haul, but after the war, i put in my release with 9 years service. I firmly believe that i did have PTSD back then, but blocked everything

After release, i received SISIP for a different injury, and took retraining in a different field

i had filed for a pension for that injury back then, but it was rejected, as was the norm then. with my mental state i never pursued it
since then, i recently filed another claim for that injury and now receive 5% PA (as the first claim for it was in the early 90's

I also have another small DA for a different issue

I am, in total between PA and DA at 48%

now... with this in mind, i feel that my military career was ended (by myself) due to the PSTD, and that i could have progressed a lot further if i had stayed in
the CIA Is the career impact allowance. my career was impaced

even though i do have other employment due to the SISIP retraining, should i still qualify for CIA (permanent)
if so, should that retraining count as a rehab program, or do i have to go through that BS?

thoughts, feedback anyone?

iceman

Back to top Go down

Re: CIA eligibility

Post by Trooper on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 8:18 pm

iceman wrote:I have a question regarding CIA eligibility

I released myself over 25 years ago, as soon as i could after the gulf war, due to what i believe now was at that time PTSD related.
naturally, at that time ,there were no checks or balances, you want to get released, fine, 6 months later i was out

I have in the last few years been diagnosed with PTSD from the war and have a DA award of 35%
I was in for the long haul, but after the war, i put in my release with 9 years service. I firmly believe that i did have PTSD back then, but blocked everything

After release, i received SISIP for a different injury, and took retraining in a different field

i had filed for a pension for that injury back then, but it was rejected, as was the norm then. with my mental state i never pursued it
since then, i recently filed another claim for that injury and now receive 5% PA  (as the first claim for it was in the early 90's

I also have another small DA for a different issue

I am, in total between PA and DA at 48%

now... with this in mind, i feel that my military career was ended (by myself) due to the PSTD, and that i could have progressed a lot further if i had stayed in
the CIA Is the career impact allowance. my career was impaced

even though i do have other employment due to the SISIP retraining, should i still qualify for CIA (permanent)
if so, should that retraining count as a rehab program, or do i have to go through that BS?

thoughts, feedback anyone?

Iceman,

The short answer is you have to go through the VAC process.

Here's what you need to have for the CIA

The allowance is provided when your career options have been limited because of a service-related illness or injury.

You may qualify if you have:

• a severe and permanent impairment for which you have received a disability benefit,

and
  • a VAC-approved application for rehabilitation services.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/rehabilitation/career-impact-allowance
Trooper

Administrator

http://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dameon on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 10:39 pm

Also note, when they are talking about a shortened career, they have capped that at 25 years. Under the new system coming out April 2019, that will be capped at 20 years. Just something I noticed while combing through the literature, as I voluntary released just shy of 21 years. The real butt kicker is that I now know that I released because of my PTSD, but its too late for me to do anything about it. SISIP doesn't wait for us to find out we have a mental health issue, several years down the road.

Dameon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down