Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Veterans Ombudsman to meet with Veterans

+21
Ravenson
Diesel
Logan
Mountaineer
Cypher
Lonestar
Spartan
Vmaxocalz
RunningLight
Mercury
Covert
Seawolf
Terrarium
Garrison
Colter
Falcon
Stanleyz
Scout
Geoman
Leopard
Scorpion
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Veterans Ombudsman to meet with Veterans Empty Veterans Ombudsman to meet with Veterans

Post by Scorpion Mon 19 Mar 2018, 9:54 am

Veterans Ombudsman to meet with Winnipeg Veterans' Community
NEWS PROVIDED BY

Veterans Ombudsman
Mar 19, 2018

OTTAWA, March 19, 2018 /CNW/ - Canada's Veterans Ombudsman Guy Parent will be in Winnipeg, Manitoba, on March 20-2st to meet with Veterans and their families, Veterans' organizations, members of the Canadian Armed Forces, RCMP, and municipal leaders.

"I am looking forward to visiting Winnipeg," said the Ombudsman. "It is a vibrant community with many serving members and Veterans and their families. Their concerns are my concerns as Veterans Ombudsman, and I intend to reach out to and meet as many members as I can."

Mr. Parent hosts public Town Halls and Stakeholder Meetings in communities across the country. On the afternoon of March 20th, he will be hosting a Stakeholder Meeting in Winnipeg at the Clarion Hotel including representatives of local Veterans' groups, health care and service providers, researchers, and members of the Defence community. In the evening of March 21st, from 7 pm to 8 pm, he will host a public Town Hall, also at the Clarion Hotel. At the meetings, he will provide an update on the work of his office and the support it provides, his priorities going forward, and recommendations for improvements. An Ombudsman Intervention Officer will also be in for private consultations with Veterans.

Chief Warrant Officer Guy Parent (retired) joined the Canadian Forces in 1964, and served as a Search and Rescue Technician for over 30 years. He now has been serving Canadians in various military and civil functions for over 50 years. He was first appointed Veterans Ombudsman in November 2010 for a five-year term, which was renewed in 2015 for three additional years.

The Veterans Ombudsman works to ensure the fair treatment of Veterans and their families by reviewing and addressing complaints, and systemic and emerging issues in relation to the programs, services and benefits provided by Veterans Affairs Canada. The Office of the Veterans Ombudsman is evidence-informed with dedicated front-line staff who help individual Veterans and their representatives navigate the complexity of VAC's benefits and programs. The office also identifies gaps in programs, benefits and services for Veterans and their families, informs debate on systemic issues and makes recommendations to the Government for improvements.

SOURCE Veterans Ombudsman

For further information: Media inquiries: Isabelle Moses, Communications Director, Office of the Veterans Ombudsman, 613-294-7152, isabelle.moses@ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca

Scorpion
Scorpion

Back to top Go down

Veterans Ombudsman to meet with Veterans Empty Re: Veterans Ombudsman to meet with Veterans

Post by Leopard Tue 31 Jan 2023, 11:36 am

VETERANS' OMBUD TO VISIT

Two Okanagan stops for independent veterans' ombudsman

Tracey Prediger - Jan 31, 2023

As a female in the Service Battalion in the 1980s, Andrea Newton knew she would struggle to earn her Sgt. stripes.

What she wasn’t prepared for was to leave the military with a lifelong disability. “Veterans Affairs is all about support and service and helping, helping those of us that live with disabilities to find the best quality of life that we can, right to the end.”

Now Newton and the newly formed Vernon Veteran's Society want to help other veterans like Ward Brunsdon.

After being with artillery for 12 years, shooting everything from pistols, to howitzers to shoulder launch anti-aircraft missiles, he’s having hearing problems. “Well, for me, I was fortunate. I didn’t end up with some of those scars that don’t show,” says Brunsdon.

Both Newton and Brunsdon know what it’s like to leave the camaraderie of the Canadian Forces.

“All of a sudden, you release from the military, you stand on the steps and you go 'what do I do now?'”

For some veterans, answers from Veterans Affairs Canada can be quick – for others it’s a painstaking struggle.

Knowing this, is one reason Newton initiated an in-person visit from the Office of Veterans ombudsman. That was before a COVID-caused delay.

The dates are set and Col. (ret’d) Nishika Jardine is coming to the Okanagan.

Newton is excited, "On behalf of the veterans’ community, it’s a greatly significant, because our concern is that where are all the veterans? And they might not know that they are eligible for support through Veteran’s Affairs, and through the Office of the Ombudsman.”

The job of the ombudsman is to investigate complaints, and challenge policies and decisions of Veterans Affairs Canada. Jardine will be coming to listen to listen to those concerns.

“If we can make life better for just one veteran at a time, then that’s what it’s about.”

The two closest town hall meetings will take place at the Armstrong Legion Feb. 10 at 2 p.m.and Saturday Feb. 11, at the Army, Navy, Air Force Unit #5 in Vernon, starting at 10 a.m.

Leopard
Leopard

Back to top Go down

Veterans Ombudsman to meet with Veterans Empty Re: Veterans Ombudsman to meet with Veterans

Post by Geoman Thu 02 Feb 2023, 4:00 pm

Veterans Ombudsman to meet with Veterans 2741858880 Canada's Veterans Ombudsman Feb 02. 2023

The Veterans Ombud will be in British Columbia next week. We invite all members of the Veterans community to attend our town halls.

February 1, 2023, OTTAWA, ON – Veterans Ombud Colonel (Ret’d) Nishika Jardine will be in British Columbia the week of February 6 to meet with the Veterans community. This visit will include town halls, meetings with stakeholders, and attending the grand opening of the Veterans Village in Surrey.

The town halls will provide an opportunity for the Veterans Ombud to hear the concerns of the Veterans community, and to share information on the work being done by the Office of the Veterans Ombud, as well as priorities for the future. Members of the Canadian Armed Forces, RCMP, Veterans and their families, are all invited to attend the town halls.

“I am very much looking forward to connecting with the Veterans community in British Columbia. Listening to the concerns of Veterans and their families enables us to better serve them. We want to hear directly from them about their experiences with Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) as they seek to access the programs and benefits available to them.”

Townhalls

367 Cliffe Ave, Courtenay, BC
Date: February 6th, 2023
Time: 1500 – 1600 (PST)

1586 Esquimalt Rd, Victoria, BC
Date: February 7th, 2023
Time: 1300 - 1400 (PST)

1407 Laburnum St, Vancouver, BC
Date: February 9th, 2023
Time: 1700 - 1800 (PST)

2526 Pleasant Valley Blvd, Armstrong, BC
Date: February 10th, 2023
Time: 1400 – 1500 (PST)

2500 46 Ave, Vernon, BC
Date: February 11th, 2023
Time: 1000 – 1200 (PST)

The Office of the Veterans Ombud investigates complaints and challenges the policies and decisions of VAC where they find individual or systemic unfairness. They strive to be an independent and respected voice for fairness and a champion for the well-being of Veterans and their families.

If you are a serving CAF member, RCMP member, Veteran, family member or representative and you feel you have been treated unfairly by VAC, or you would like information about programs and services that may help, the Office of the Veterans Ombud is here to help.

For media inquiries, please contact:
Lucille Hodgins
Email: lucille.hodgins@ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca
Tel: 613-617-7205

Geoman
Geoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scout Mon 13 Feb 2023, 6:57 am

Military ombudsman Col. (ret’d) Nishika Jardine met with Vernon veterans Saturday

VETERANS SHARE FRUSTRATIONS

Darren Handschuh - Feb 11, 2023

More needs to be done to make it easier for veterans to interact with the government online and on paper.

That was the message from military ombudsperson Col. (ret’d) Nishika Jardine who was in Vernon Saturday to meet with veterans from all branches of service.

The veterans had a chance to share their concerns and frustrations with Jardine when she met with them at the ANAF Vets hall.

Jardine heard from one veteran and his years-long battle with the federal government over a variety of issues including help dealing with his PTSD.

“I understand, I hear your pain,” Jardine responded. “This is exactly the thing that I am concerned with. The department needs to do a better job.”

Jardine invited the man to meet with her team after the meeting.

Earlier in the meeting, Jardine asked those in attendance how many were frustrated by trying to navigate the Veterans Affairs Canada website. Many hands were raised.

“I go on there and I can't find what I am looking for,” Jardine said, to the agreement of many in the crowd.

One veteran pointed out letters they receive from VAC need to be reviewed.

Jardine agreed, saying she is pushing to have the letters written in a manner that is easier to understand by veterans. She is also seeking changes to the VAC website to make it easier to navigate.

The good news was Jardine said the backlog of veterans' files has been reduced, but the bad news is it still takes too long to process a disability claim.

She said the standard is 16 weeks, but it takes “three times as long” to process a claim through VAC, and she understands how difficult it is for a veteran to have to wait that long.

“That can impact their health and well being and for me that is a concern I have,” she said, adding she will continue to push for changes to the process.

Vernon was the last stop in B.C. for Jardine who was heading back to Ottawa this afternoon.

Scout
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Stanleyz Wed 15 Feb 2023, 11:32 am

Frustrations vented as veterans Ombudsperson visits North Okanagan

BRENDAN SHYKORA / Feb. 15, 2023

The frustration among veterans was palpable at the Armstrong Legion Friday, when military ombudsperson Col. (Ret’d) Nishika Jardine stopped by for a town hall to discuss the shortcomings of Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) and what can be done to make life easier for those who have served.

Jardine welcomed that frustration, saying it’s her job to hear from veterans about how the system may be failing them.

“We want to hear from you. What are your frustrations, what are the things that concern you, what’s been your experience dealing with Veterans Affairs Canada, and what can we learn?” she asked at the opening of the town hall.

Jardine kicked off the discussion with a few things she’s concerned about. The first was the backlog that exists among people waiting for an answer on their disability claim.

“The department has in fact brought that down significantly over the past while, which is fantastic … but the time it takes to adjudicate the decision is still at least three times longer on average than their service standard of 16 weeks,” she said. “It’s all very well and good to say we’ve brought that backlog down, but the time it takes to adjudicate the claim is the thing that I’m very concerned about.”

Jardine then said VAC’s communications with veterans need to be in plainer language, so that letters to veterans are easier to understand.

Making the claims process easier to navigate was a theme of the town hall. Jardine asked the packed crowd how many have had issues navigating the VAC website. Many raised their hands.

“Whatever the design is, it doesn’t work,” she said. “I’m asking for (the website) to be changed, so that it’s straightforward.”

Jardine also said the VAC online portal needs to be simplified to make it easier to understand.

She added there are problems with the internal review and appeal process.

“What struck me early on was 75 to 80 per cent of these appeals are denied. Well what’s the point of that? There’s no real right of appeal here if the vast majority of them they’re just going to say no,” Jardine said.

One veteran spoke up to say he has the impression that VAC feels veterans are asking too much, and he feels ignored as a result.

“We are put on the back burner, everything we do,” he said.

“We talk about frustration, I can hear it in your voice,” Jardine responded. “And I’ve heard it countless times over in the time that I’ve been in this position.”

Jardine said the disability claim form that veterans have to fill out needs “a complete revamping,” with instructions that tell veterans to write out their full story to have the best chance of having their claim approved on the first go-around.

“That means making it so that we understand what it is they’re looking for from us.”

One veteran said they receive very little support through the B.C. medical system to get some of the testing done that’s required for a disability claim. Jardine said the problem of not getting a diagnosis in a timely manner is an issue that goes beyond the scope of Veterans Affairs and includes everyone in Canada.

Another veteran expressed dismay at the fact that some veterans end up giving up on the disability claim process entirely because there are too many barriers.

“I understand, and I get it, and I’m worried about the people who give up, who do need help and aren’t getting it,” Jardine responded.

Another person said she has worked on behalf of retired veterans trying to get benefits for them. She said she called the VAC Kelowna office and the person who answered the phone immediately told her the veteran doesn’t have a claim, without a proper review.

“I’m gobsmacked. I don’t even know what to say,” Jardine said before asking the lady to have the veteran call her office.

Spallumcheen mayor Christine Fraser was at the town hall and said having an advocate to help with a veteran’s case is a good way to ensure a positive outcome, as she did for her uncle who served with the air force.

“You need a navigator to help you work your way through the bureaucracy,” Jardine agreed. “Your family members are fortunate to have you.”

After the town hall, Jardine said if veterans were made to understand why it’s taken so long for their claims to get through, or why their claims were denied, that would help with the frustration.

She said the issue she heard repeatedly at the meeting had to do with the link between the VAC disability claims and benefits and the need for medical information from the healthcare system.

“There’s medical questionnaires that veterans might need to get a physician to fill out, (but) it’s a challenge because as every Canadian is experiencing, it’s so hard to get primary health care.”

Jardine also visited the Army Navy Air Force hall in Vernon Saturday before heading back to Ottawa.

Stanleyz
Stanleyz

Back to top Go down

Post by Falcon Fri 24 Feb 2023, 11:26 am

Falcon
Falcon
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Colter Mon 27 Feb 2023, 4:54 pm

Colter
Colter
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Covert Tue 28 Feb 2023, 11:28 am

Covert
Covert

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrison Thu 02 Mar 2023, 11:32 am

Garrison
Garrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Terrarium Sat 04 Mar 2023, 4:30 pm

Edmonton veterans get guidance on disability claims with Ombud visit

Hamdi Issawi

Published Mar 03, 2023

It can be challenging, but not hopeless, for veterans seeking disability benefits due to injury or illness connected to service, Canada’s veterans ombudsperson says.

About 30 people gathered at the Royal Canadian Legion’s Kingsway branch in northeast Edmonton on Wednesday, many of them to meet the ombudsperson, retired Col. Nishika Jardine, and air grievances in dealing with Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC). The Office of the Veterans Ombud reviews veterans’ complaints and, when it finds unfairness, challenges the policies and decisions of VAC, the federal department responsible for supporting the well-being of veterans and their families.

Several veterans in attendance spoke about the hurdles they’ve encountered in seeking approval for disability claims related to their service, such as long wait times, rejection, red tape and difficulty communicating with VAC staff. Speaking to the room, Jardine repeatedly highlighted the importance of persistence and assistance in filing effective claims.

“I can’t urge you more strongly,” she told those in attendance, “if you’ve already been through the system — and you’ve been denied — resubmit, but get help.”

One of the problems with the claim form is that it doesn’t tell veterans about the type of detail required to connect their injury or illness to their service, Jardine told Postmedia after the meeting.

“There isn’t that guidance; it’s just not inherent in the form,” she said. “Getting those treatment benefits is a big deal, because it has a direct impact on their well-being.”

The importance of submitting claims with the right wording wasn’t lost on John Kennedy, a veteran who said it took four years and multiple appeals to get the aid he needed — namely, $37,000 worth of dental crowns.

After his 1994 Rawanda tour following the genocide, Kennedy said he developed bruxism, an involuntary and habitual grinding of the teeth.

“I had been grinding my teeth right down to the pulp, where I was into the nerves, and it was painful,” he said in an interview. “The biggest thing that changed for me was in the second appeal. We had to put the right wording in and, like the ombud said, ‘Get help.’ ”

He pointed to a couple of organizations that offer veterans assistance with the preparation and submission of disability claims, such as the Royal Canadian Legion’s veteran support network, and the beyond food program offered through the Veterans Association Food Bank.

“If you want to get your claim approved, it has to be worded pretty specifically,” Kennedy added. “If a veteran tries to do it on their own, a lot of times it’s — good luck.”

Steven Harris, VAC’s assistant deputy minister of service delivery, told Postmedia about 80 per cent of the claims the department receives are approved the first time around, but there’s a variety of reasons for the difficulties encountered by the remaining 20 per cent, who might have claims approved on appeal, or after providing more details.

“Sometimes the disability or the diagnosis doesn’t relate to somebody’s military service, or there’s a lack of information that would support that,” he said in an interview.

Otherwise, the department has created “entitlement eligibility guidelines,” which recognize distinct patterns of injuries or illnesses associated with military service and aims to help staff administer claims quickly and easily, Harris said.

VAC has set a service standard that aims to processes 80 per cent of disability benefit application within 16 weeks, and currently has about 7,000 that have passed the threshold. Harris said VAC has made progress in addressing the backlog, which saw about 23,000 files beyond that limit 2 1/2 years ago.

“We’ve not been meeting that for a number of years, because of a very significant increase in the amount of applications that we saw coming in,” he said.

He also said veterans seeking help with their applications can contact VAC to book an appointment in person or virtually.

hissawi@postmedia.com

@hamdiissawi

Terrarium
Terrarium

Back to top Go down

Post by Seawolf Wed 15 Mar 2023, 6:58 pm

Seawolf
Seawolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Covert Tue 23 May 2023, 11:26 am

Covert
Covert

Back to top Go down

Post by Seawolf Tue 12 Sep 2023, 4:32 pm

Seawolf
Seawolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Mon 18 Sep 2023, 4:39 pm

Mercury
Mercury

Back to top Go down

Post by RunningLight Wed 20 Sep 2023, 4:32 pm

RunningLight
RunningLight
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next