Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letters / Opinions

+55
Replica
SniperGod
Silversun
Riverway
Trooper
kodiak
Jumper
Maxstar
Charlie
Lucifer
Jackal
Viper
Leopard
Ironman
Stanleyz
Colter
Sandman
Zoneforce
Gridlock
Alpha
Cooper
Firestrike
Vizzer
Diesel
Ranger
RevForce
Rockarm
Marshall
Silveray
Proctor
Dragonforce
Powergunner
Terrarium
Thunder
Mojave
Jeremiah
Forcell
Delta
Garrison
Rifleman
Phantom
Victor
Hammercore
Ravenson
Lionfield
Zapper
Rekert
Falcon
Warrior
Xrayxservice
Lonestar
Phrampton
Wolverine
Magnum
Spider
59 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Letters / Opinions - Page 4 Empty Re: Letters / Opinions

Post by Cooper Thu 20 Jun 2019, 5:06 pm

LETTER: Respect to veterans and their spouses

Published: June 20, 2019

To the editor,
With the 75th Anniversary of D-Day earlier this month, I know many of us reflected on the brave sacrifice of veterans and members of the Canadian Forces.
When our country needed them, they - and their families - answered the call. Now, when the tables have turned and some of these same veterans have a simple ask: can I please live out my days beside my spouse. The Liberal response is shocking. The federal Liberals and the provincial Liberals play hot potato.
Meanwhile, some of those same veterans walk the halls of their home, Camp Hill Hospital, staring in disbelief at empty beds and wonder why their loved one can’t join them.
Surely somebody on the Liberal benches can put two and two together, demonstrate some compassion to our veterans and their families and fix this injustice.
For me, it’s a matter of respect for veterans and for their families.
Think of the sacrifice that our veterans have made. Particularly our active duty veterans but every single military family makes some level of sacrifice.
If your spouse has moved around with you from base to base, meaning every member of the family starting all over again - that’s sacrifice.
If you become a single parent as your enlisted spouse is shipped out for months on end - that’s sacrifice.
Imagine kissing your spouse goodbye when they have been called into a conflict zone and knowing there is a possibility that this may the last goodbye - there isn’t a person who can say that isn’t sacrifice.
I’m proud of my father’s service in the Royal Canadian Navy. I remember those moves to Ontario, PEI, BC and back to Nova Scotia. I also remember the times when he couldn’t be around - when he was gone for months on end.
I tip my hat to my mom. She kept life normal for her kids. Sure, there were definitely hard moments, but I never feel anything but pride in my father’s willingness to serve his country and my mother’s unwavering strength in supporting that sacrifice.
There are over 10,000 Canadian Forces members living in Nova Scotia. They have made it their life’s work to serve this province and their country. I say with only gratitude in my heart, thank you for your courage and immeasurable sacrifice.
And Minister Delorey, we have a simple message regarding Camp Hill: do the right thing.

Sincerely,
Tim Houston
Leader, Nova Scotia Progressive Conservative Party

Cooper
Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:48 am

Cooper wrote:
Letters / Opinions - Page 4 17337129_web1_190618-NBU-letter-bike-hike-elsewhere_1

A map supplied by the Department of National Defence shows the boundaries of the Nanaimo Military Range. (Image submitted)

LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bike and hike elsewhere

Jun. 18, 2019

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor-bike-and-hike-elsewhere/

Military issues new warning to trespassers at Nanaimo rifle range

Andy Garland, CTV Vancouver Island
Published Thursday, June 20, 2019

Alpha
Alpha
Advocate Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gridlock Wed 26 Jun 2019, 8:22 am

Gridlock
Gridlock

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman Wed 26 Jun 2019, 9:27 am

I sure hope this is possible but when it comes to the government there promises are as useless as the paper they are written on as we have all seen definitely not holding my breath on this one not trying to be demoralizing just don’t trust the government when it comes to platform promises to me it’s all verbal diarrhoea looking for votes

Rifleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoneforce Fri 12 Jul 2019, 1:16 pm

Letters / Opinions - Page 4 17339684_web1_Letters-editor-180116-ACC-M

LETTER: Veterans deserve more respect from our leaders

Jul. 12, 2019

I commemorated the D-Day invasion of Europe, and watching film footage and interviews taken from survivors of this horrific event in history.

The present day leaders were there, honouring these brave warriors, and that was great to see.

Then on the news it showed these brave warriors living on the street, treated like vermin.

I was outraged. These people who we owe our very existence to being treated like this. Our government spends millions of dollars on all sorts of programs, some essential and some utter rubbish.

Our prime minister spends a lot of time apologizing to everyone around the world, but not a word to our mistreated veterans. Well, for one, I personally apologize for the way you have been treated and give grateful thanks for your service in protecting Canada. Every veteran should be treated with the highest honour and given the best.

When they return home from overseas conflict, their welcome should be at least the same as a successful hockey player, not totally ignored.

These veterans suffer from post-traumatic syndrome and lack of support from the government, some with the loss of limbs or even worse, and should not have to argue with the Veterans Affairs office to obtain any respect.

Wake up Ottawa and start treating these brave warriors with the respect they deserve.

Paul Collins

Langford

Zoneforce
Zoneforce
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman Sat 13 Jul 2019, 8:43 am

Kris Sims: Insulting veterans not about saving Victoria taxpayers’ money

Opinion: Politicians’ catered lunches cost taxpayers $10,000 per year. What’s more important: tuna wraps or Remembrance Day?

KRIS SIMS July 12, 2019

Letters / Opinions - Page 4 Mutiny
Before he goes after public events like Remembrance Day ceremonies or the Invictus Games for wounded veterans with budgeting in mind, perhaps Victoria Coun. Ben Isitt (left) should take a look at the personal expenses on the public dime that he’s wrung up, says Kris Sims.

Victoria city council’s recent talk of saving taxpayers’ money was missing something: sincerity.

Inexplicably, council recently fixated on cutting funding for events such as Remembrance Day. Council recanted that folly but, if there is any sincere concern for taxpayers, there’s a long list for councillors to look at.

Here’s what happened. Council voted to ask Ottawa to pay for “military events” such as Remembrance Day, rather than using the city budget. After a national backlash, boycotts from veterans groups, criticism from Mayor Lisa Helps and an offer from the store chain London Drugs to cover the cost of Remembrance Day, most councillors apologized and reversed their votes.

The councillor who first put forward the motion, Ben Isitt, claimed to oppose spending on Remembrance Day events out of concern for taxpayers. Is just it a coincidence that he also complained about offering to host the Invictus Games, an athletic event for wounded and amputee veterans? Perhaps Isitt could take a closer look at the city’s budget.

The politicians’ catered lunches cost taxpayers $10,000 per year. What’s more important: tuna wraps or Remembrance Day?

If we look at expense accounts, Isitt has been one of the top three highest-spending councillors since 2012.

In 2018, he racked up $5,187 in expenses, mostly for a $2,904 trip to Halifax for the Federation of Canadian Municipalities meeting that included a $81 charge to rent a bicycle, a $235 bill for a train ticket and $150 for a ferry trip. Did the councillor fly into the Halifax airport, which is a 33-minute drive from the convention centre? What’s up with the planes, trains, automobiles, ferries and bicycles? In 2017, Isitt tallied $5,506 in expenses, again mostly in attending conventions, travel and meals. In 2016, he tallied up $4,695 in expenses.

If Isitt is trying to stand up for taxpayers, perhaps he could use Skype and FaceTime and bring bagged lunches with reusable cutlery instead of racking up $15,388 in travel and meals in just three years?

Let’s see what else Victoria City Hall spends money on.

To provide a police presence for Remembrance Day, it costs the City of Victoria about $15,000, or about 0.006 per cent of its annual budget.

For cost comparison, Victoria taxpayers hand out $72,000 every year to keep an artist in residence. The city also has a poet laureate. The city spent $596,335 of taxpayers’ money on art in public places in 2017. Those amounts would pay for Victoria’s Remembrance Day for 44 years.

In 2018, city hall spent nearly $1.8 million on arts and culture events. Isn’t Remembrance Day a big part of our culture? Especially in a provincial capital that is home to Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt? One year of that funding would pay for Victoria’s Remembrance Day for 119 years.

Victoria is spending close to $2.6 million on its urban forest master plan after boosting funding to the program. One of the feared goals of the plan was to replace Victoria’s iconic cherry blossom trees with native trees. Council backpedalled and clarified after it was reminded that the cherry blossom trees were a gift from the city’s Japanese community in 1937. The money spent on the awkward arboreal agenda could instead pay for Victoria’s Remembrance Day services for the next 171 years.

Victoria is spending more than $30 million on expanding bike lanes, including tearing up roads, installing bike traffic lights and chopping down popular trees. The money spent on that program could pay for our capital’s Remembrance Day services for the next 2,000 years.

There are lots of ways for Victoria to save taxpayers money by trimming spending for taxpayer-funded art, bike lanes, catered lunches and trips to conferences while continuing to honour Canadian veterans’ trips to Juno Beach and Kandahar.

Kris Sims is B.C. director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

Sandman
Sandman

Back to top Go down

Post by Colter Wed 17 Jul 2019, 8:50 am

Letters / Opinions - Page 4 Ottawa-desktop

Letters to the Editor

Published:
July 17, 2019

BUYING VOTES

Sock-boy has had more than three years to help veterans, and only now is his government coughing up money to help with a new 40-unit building to house homeless vets. He has done nothing over the last three-plus years except legalize pot, and that’s hardly something to brag about.

He’s been responsible for some of the worst scandals this country has seen, claimed to be a feminist, but tossed two female MPs because they refused to bend to his demands. He’s said Canada doesn’t negotiate with terrorists, only to hand over millions to convicted terrorists, along with sending tens of millions of our tax dollars to terrorist countries. He’s welcomed thousands of illegals without bothering to screen them for criminal or health issues. A lot of what we’ve paid in taxes since he came to power has been sent out of country. He demands we pay a carbon tax to deal with climate change and then spends most of his time jetting around the world. So, after all this, it would seem he’s Jekyll and Hyde. He says one thing and does the opposite.

I hope voters have seen enough to realize that he doesn’t care about Canadians or Canada. Anything he does from now until the election will be a desperate attempt to buy votes.

SANDY JOHNSTON

GREELY

(Helping house homeless veterans isn’t something we see as scandalous. Even in an election year.)

Colter
Colter
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stanleyz Thu 18 Jul 2019, 9:48 am

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE: July 18, 2019

Letters / Opinions - Page 4 Webpnet-resizeimage-2019-07-14t161548035jpg_large
Canadian Forces CC-188 Hornet completes one of several flypasts at CFB Trenton before landing. - Kevin W. Moore

Used jets a disgrace

Re: “First used Australian fighter jets now flying in Canadian colours” (July 16 story). I find it offensive and embarrassing that we think it’s OK to buy used equipment for our Armed Forces. Think about these points:

Australia sold them because they’ve outlived their usefulness for them. Australia is smaller than Canada, both geographically and population-wise, yet it can afford new military equipment and a more modern and robust armed forces. Third World countries buy used military equipment, not NATO countries. We can no longer rely on the U.S. to protect us, so we need a modern, strong military.

We are not buying used cars here. You go to war today with what you have, with no time to upgrade during the conflict. The team with the old, outdated equipment dies first.

Is this what you want for our servicemen and women? If you served, or have children who do, you might think it’s a very bad idea.

Brent Cutter, Bedford

Stanleyz
Stanleyz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironman Tue 23 Jul 2019, 4:56 pm

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE: July 23, 2019

Officer saved us money

The headline on Scott Taylor’s July 8 column, “Top officer used housing-allowance benefit for own gain,” is extremely misleading — and disappointing, as it gives the impression that one of Canada’s most honourable officers has abused the taxpayers by having his apartment fees paid for for the last seven years.

Just from a financial perspective, what he omits to say is that by not having moved his family in 2012, and not having to move his family again now as he is retiring and returning back to Edmonton, he has actually saved the taxpayers two costly moves.

As a former Canadian Armed Forces member who was involved with moving people, I know that the cost of two moves, for an officer of his rank (accounting for the monthly pay taxable benefit on posting), would have been more expensive than the benefits he has received while on Imposed Restriction.

Now that Lt.-Gen. Paul Wynnyk had his change of appointment on July 18, Mr. Taylor may consider writing another column thanking this outstanding officer for his contribution and his service to the country for a consecutive 38 years. After all, he’s one of Canada’s most decorated officer in recent decades.

Carl Doyon, Gatineau, Que.

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post by Leopard Thu 25 Jul 2019, 5:26 pm

LETTER: Wearing the medals of loved ones

Published: July 25, 2019

EDITOR:

I recently received a newspaper from Australia featuring the celebration of Anzac Day (April 25) with several coloured photos. I noted a stark difference to our Remembrance Day here in Canada. Many of the attendees wore medals on their right breasts, war medals belonging to late loved ones, even a few children were wearing their grandfather’s medals. If they had been in Canada, they would have been subject to arrest, see section 419 of the Criminal Code of Canada. This law is supported by the Royal Canadian Legion, no one is allowed to wear the medals of late blood relatives, not even on their right breast. Yet the legion produces and issues a variety of their own medals (not authorized by the monarch). These medals are worn in large numbers by associate legion members (right breast) who are not veterans. I find this an insult to veterans, and a deception to the general public. A citizen seeing these medals on a legion uniform would be forgiven for thinking they are seeing a decorated veteran. Section 419 of the criminal code should be amended. Wearing of pretend medals should be against the law!

F. Ben Rodgers,

Abram Village

Leopard
Leopard

Back to top Go down

Post by Viper Fri 09 Aug 2019, 9:28 am

Your letters for Aug. 9

CALGARY HERALD August 9, 2019

Veterans ask for fairness on pensions

Recently politicians have asked veterans what they want. Our reply is simple. Prime Minister and leaders of Canada, keep your promises. Veterans want the government to honour our CFSA pension enrolment contract.

Military/RCMP veterans want the government to treat Canada’s veterans with honour and dignity. Take action to terminate the CPP pension clawback to our Forces pension at age 65 or sooner when receiving a disability pension. Veterans want the government to stop depleting the surplus in our pension account and pay their fair contribution. Take action to reinstate the SISIP coverage after release term insurance that is now being terminated at age 75. Forces widows’ pension must be the same as politicians’ widows. The Supplementary Death Benefits must be the same as civil servants receive.

Today, less than 30 per cent of our recruits do not re-engage in the Canadian Forces. The poor treatment of our veterans is very much in their minds. Veterans, their families and friends are not prepared to cast their ballets towards politicians who lie and do not keep their promises all year long.

John Labelle, Veterans Annuity, Campaign Co-ordinator

Viper
Viper

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnum Sun 11 Aug 2019, 1:46 pm

LETTER: College CEO thanks CFB Borden for swift action in wake of campus fire

Aug 11, 2019

Letters / Opinions - Page 4 Georgian_borden_kiyomi2

Magnum
Magnum

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackal Thu 15 Aug 2019, 9:39 am

Letters / Opinions - Page 4 Opinion_letters

August 15, 2019 NEWS + OPINION » LETTERS

Asking a veteran

Recently politicians have asked veterans the question: What do veterans want? Our reply is so simple. We just want the prime minister and other leaders to keep your promises.
Military/RCMP veterans want the government of Canada to treat veterans with the honour and dignity they have earned. Veterans want the government to honour our CFSA pension enrolment contract and take action to terminate the CPP pension claw-back.

Veterans want the government to stop depleting the surplus in our pension account and pay their fair share. We want action to reinstate the SISIP coverage after-release term insurance that is now being terminated at age 75. We want Forces widows' pension to be the same as politicians' widows receive, and the $10,000 supplementary death benefits must be the same as civil servants receive.

Today fewer than 30 percent of our recruits do not re-engage in the Canadian Forces. The poor treatment of our veterans is very much in their minds. Politicians needs to enforce the benefits that military/RCMP veterans have fully contributed to. Veterans, and their families and friends, are not prepared to cast their ballots towards politicians who lie and do not keep their promises all year long.
—John Labelle, Lower Sackville

Jackal
Jackal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lonestar Fri 16 Aug 2019, 9:16 am

Lonestar
Lonestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Firestrike Sun 18 Aug 2019, 10:26 am

Letters / Opinions - Page 4 1297286170305_original-e1514681248827

Published:
August 18, 2019

WARPED PRIORITIES
So our prime minister decides to pump $25 million into Ontario Legal Aid to assist refugee and immigration claimants (“PM finally ponies up,” Brian Lilley, Aug. 13). Seriously? This of course being the same person who in 2018 said of our veterans asking for improved programmes and benefits that “the government could not afford to fund them as they’re asking for more than we are able to give right now.” Miraculously, millions have been found and are now being pumped into the legal system to ensure that people who have as yet given nothing to this country are given legal representation, protection and priority to access all of the benefits Canada has to offer whilst out veterans stand on corners and in malls with their cap-in-hand asking to be recognized by their government. What has gone wrong? I am not a veteran, but I am ashamed. Ashamed that we as a nation stand idly by and allow this type of political malfeasance to occur. We, of course, know that it’s wrong but like sheep we follow along soaking up the rhetoric of Justin Trudeau and his band of merry men that all is well on Canadian soil. The time, people, comes this October and hopefully for once the penny drops for the majority of us and Trudeau and his Liberal cronies will finally be gone and with it, a fresh start for Canada where Canadians, our culture and our way of life come first. We, our veterans and the future of our nation deserve nothing less.

Jim Armstrong
Barrie

Firestrike
Firestrike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next