Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

78% 0r 88% ? - Disability rating

Go down

78% 0r 88% ? -  Disability rating Empty 78% 0r 88% ? - Disability rating

Post by Guest Tue 05 Mar 2019, 7:02 pm

Can anyone explain if you're designated severely disabled what is the difference in receiving a benefit? At what percentage does it matter and for what program benefit or service? When are we actually a severely disabled vet?

Back to top Go down

78% 0r 88% ? -  Disability rating Empty Re: 78% 0r 88% ? - Disability rating

Post by Silversun Tue 05 Mar 2019, 8:22 pm

I can only give you my opinion in your questions, vac does not spell this out in plain English.

If your designated severely disabled of course this would increase your disability award. It also would help in being successful in being deemed DEC which would help you in your application with other benefits. This is basically my take on how being severely disabled could affect different benefits.

With regards to percentage in general I would say it would affect your level with the disability award & also the new PFL  Pain and Suffering Compensation.

I believe and this just my own memory here but the 78% number came from advocates who were advocating against the PFL claiming that 78% of veterans do not fall into the severely disabled, the remainder falls under severely disabled. I also remember reading somewhere where 78% or over was the mark for falling in the severely injured category. Can't find that now but will look some more for it.

Here is a link/info from vac using the term serious disabled;

Appendices E and F contain detailed explanations of the Methodology and calculation results for each case scenario. Case Scenario 1a depicts a serious disabled client (98%+ disability) who is unable to return to work. Several scenarios with differing parameters were conducted, each showing that married CF clients would receive more benefits over their lifetime pre-NVC (including the NVC’s Financial Benefits and Rehabilitation programs). For single clients, NVC benefits can be higher, depending upon the age and years of service. A younger client was chosen to demonstrate that even with nearly the maximum NVC benefits, the majority of clients would receive more financial benefits pre-NVC. However, most severely disabled clients have only received a disability award and have not participated in the Rehabilitation and Financial Benefits programs, resulting in an even greater discrepancy between the amount of benefits received pre NVC and NVC.

The first case scenario (Case Scenario 1a Appendix F) examined a 28 year old Corporal with one year of service, no offsets from Earnings Loss (a component of the Financial Benefits Program) and a disability award at 100%.

The second case scenario (1b, Appendix F) for seriously disabled clients describes a 40 year old Corporal with 19 years of service and offsets from Earnings Loss with a disability assessment of 80%. A 40 year old client is representative of the average age of a medically released CF member.

Good questions will look further into it.
Silversun
Silversun
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Silversun Tue 05 Mar 2019, 8:31 pm

Cal07 wrote:I can only give you my opinion in your questions, vac does not spell this out in plain English.

If your designated severely disabled of course this would increase your disability award. It also would help in being successful in being deemed DEC which would help you in your application with other benefits. This is basically my take on how being severely disabled could affect different benefits.

With regards to percentage in general I would say it would affect your level with the disability award & also the new PFL  Pain and Suffering Compensation.

I believe and this just my own memory here but the 78% number came from advocates who were advocating against the PFL claiming that 78% of veterans do not fall into the severely disabled, the remainder falls under severely disabled. I also remember reading somewhere where 78% or over was the mark for falling in the severely injured category. Can't find that now but will look some more for it.

Here is a link/info from vac using the term serious disabled;

Appendices E and F contain detailed explanations of the Methodology and calculation results for each case scenario. Case Scenario 1a depicts a serious disabled client (98%+ disability) who is unable to return to work. Several scenarios with differing parameters were conducted, each showing that married CF clients would receive more benefits over their lifetime pre-NVC (including the NVC’s Financial Benefits and Rehabilitation programs). For single clients, NVC benefits can be higher, depending upon the age and years of service. A younger client was chosen to demonstrate that even with nearly the maximum NVC benefits, the majority of clients would receive more financial benefits pre-NVC. However, most severely disabled clients have only received a disability award and have not participated in the Rehabilitation and Financial Benefits programs, resulting in an even greater discrepancy between the amount of benefits received pre NVC and NVC.

The first case scenario (Case Scenario 1a Appendix F) examined a 28 year old Corporal with one year of service, no offsets from Earnings Loss (a component of the Financial Benefits Program) and a disability award at 100%.

The second case scenario (1b, Appendix F) for seriously disabled clients describes a 40 year old Corporal with 19 years of service and offsets from Earnings Loss with a disability assessment of 80%. A 40 year old client is representative of the average age of a medically released CF member.

Good questions will look further into it.

Medium disabled

Medium disabled is the term used to describe those Veteran pensioners or civilian pensioners whose extent of disability, in respect of the aggregate of all of their disability assessments under the Pension Act and the Veterans Well-being Act is equal to or greater than 48%, but less than 78%.

Sverely Disabled

78% or greater

Silversun
Silversun
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Mar 2019, 9:36 pm

I saw something long ago the 78% and above was severely disabled but a minimum of 1 % of the pensioned condition had to occur during ww2. Minister O Regan once mentioned that 78% was needed for something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Mar 2019, 9:55 pm

With regards to being deemed DEC, your percentage does not necessarily guarantee DEC. Your disability or disabilities must be creating a barrier to reestablishing yourself in the work force.

For example a veteran may not see his disability as a barrier, even though his percentage is 75%. Or another vet may be more affected at 75%.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum