Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Invictus Games

+27
Stargunner
Maverick
Lux4795
Sandman
Riverway
Scorpion
Looper
Replica
Lonestar
Powergunner
Starman
Hunter
OutlawSoldier
Zodiac
Garrison
Silversun
Spider
Tazzer
Ravenson
Falcon
Edgefore
Proctor
Caliber
SniperGod
Victor
Ringo
Vexmax
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Invictus Games - Page 3 Empty Re: Invictus Games

Post by Scorpion Thu 19 Mar 2020, 8:56 pm

Prince Harry announces Invictus Games cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic

Published Thursday, March 19, 2020

Invictus Games - Page 3 439216585 https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/prince-harry-announces-invictus-games-cancelled-due-to-covid-19-pandemic-1.4860233

Scorpion
Scorpion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravenson Tue 28 Jul 2020, 1:07 pm

THE INVICTUS GAMES THE HAGUE WILL BE HELD FROM MAY 29 TO JUNE 5, 2021

27 JUL 2020

Invictus Games - Page 3 916227195 INVICTUS GAMES

Ravenson
Ravenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Riverway Thu 10 Jun 2021, 4:28 pm

Prince Harry spreads news about Invictus Games in Germany

Published Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Invictus Games - Page 3 Image

Riverway
Riverway
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman Tue 05 Apr 2022, 5:47 am

Local retired military veteran competing for country in Invictus Games

April 05. 2022

Mike Bourgeois will be heading to The Hague, Netherlands from Saturday, April 16-22 to compete in the fifth annual Invictus Games.

The Games are a sporting competition for ill, sick and disabled war veterans. It was founded in 2014 from Prince Harry, who wanted to showcase the achievements of war veterans, after he himself was in a helicopter with injured military personnel during the war in Afghanistan.

For Bourgeois, the games presented a life changing opportunity after retiring from the military years ago.

“I spent most of my career as an infantry officer, with employments in Bosnia, Croatia and Kosovo.” Bourgeois told KelownaNow. “(Once I retired), I was very unhealthy. I have spine damage, and I was in a pretty dark place with a lot of pain. I gained a lot of weight and I suffered from an electrical malfunction of my heart, where I wound up in the hospital with a heart attack. That was the ‘aha’ moment, and I came out of the hospital telling myself that I wanted to do something I didn’t know how to do. I needed to take my mind off my life and start something fresh.”

As part of his recovery from the heart attack, Bourgeois was prescribed archery as an outlet to take his mind off of things. Soon enough, after practicing every day for a year, he was asked to compete for the Canadian national team for the Invictus Games. Then, the manager (of the team) asked him to compete in the cycling event as the country was looking for more cyclists.

“I have a type ‘A’ personality, being an army guy,” he said. “I don’t like to do anything and not be great at it… but the cycling was a very steep learning curve, so its been three years of very hard work. I don't think I am going to podium, as I will be going up against high level European athletes, and I am 52!”

Originally from Belleville, Que, Bourgeois spent the majority of his career as a captain in the infantry. He was a competitive track athlete in his teenage years but had to pause his sporting pursuits due to the demands of the military.

Now, along with cycling and archery, he will also be competing in sitting volleyball. Every member of the national team must compete in a team sport. The total Canadian contingent heading over to The Hague will be 30 and there will be 21 nations at the games, with a total of 10 unique sports.

This year's event was a long time coming, as it was originally supposed to be hosted in 2020 before COVID had it postponed. Prior, there have been games in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

“It is the honour of a lifetime (to be selected), but like everything else that has been affected by the pandemic, it's just been such a long and hard journey,” said Bourgeois. “I think it will be such a relief for us to have it finished, regardless of how everybody does.”

The Invictus Games national team is under the umbrella of the Canadian Olympic Committee, but does not get the same funding of both the Olympic and Paralympic team.

“We get the benefit of staffing, coaching and training plans, but we are on our own for a lot of the costs of competing at the national level. We have some really amazing sponsors," Bourgeois explained.

There are also two main Canadian organizations that help with the funding. The first is SoldierOn, which is a non-profit for helping veterans re-engage in a happy and healthy lifestyle.

The other is TruePatriotLove, which is the leading organization in Canada that supports military, veterans, and their families.

The games will be broadcast on TSN, with opening ceremonies set for Saturday, April 16.

More information Invictus Games - Page 3 2010343111 Invictus Games - Page 3 2010343111 Invictus Games - Page 3 2010343111 Invictus Games -2022

Sandman
Sandman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux4795 Sat 16 Apr 2022, 4:22 pm

Invictus Games opens with Prince Harry tribute to Ukrainians

Published Saturday, April 16, 2022

Lux4795
Lux4795

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri 22 Apr 2022, 9:18 pm

Invictus Games to feature winter sports for 1st time when Vancouver, Whistler host in 2025

Published April 22, 2022

Maverick
Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargunner Tue 24 May 2022, 7:32 pm

Invictus Games return to Canada with first-ever winter hybrid edition

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Veterans Affairs Canada
May 24, 2022

Stargunner
Stargunner
Advocate Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lux4795 Tue 06 Sep 2022, 4:22 pm

Prince Harry, Meghan in Germany to promote Invictus Games

Published Sept. 6, 2022

Lux4795
Lux4795

Back to top Go down

Post by Covert Wed 16 Aug 2023, 6:57 am

P.E.I. man ready to compete and cheer on teammates at Invictus Games in Germany

CBC News ยท Posted: Aug 16, 2023

Invictus Games - Page 3 Kenton-dill-on-rowing-machine

Covert
Covert

Back to top Go down

Post by Accer Mon 04 Sep 2023, 2:09 pm

Afghanistan vet back in fighting shape for Invictus Games

Rothesay's Patrick Gordon has battled physical injuries and mental health issues

Shane Fowler - CBC News . Sept 04, 2023
Invictus Games - Page 3 Patrick-gordon

A broken neck, a traumatic brain injury, and multiple herniated discs in his back: those are the physical injuries that Patrick Gordon sustained after he was injured by an improvised explosive device while serving with the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan.

The tank he was in backed over a bomb. Gordon suffered injuries that have never healed.

The army sergeant was given a medical release in 2016. Since then, he's had to work through mental health issues such as post-traumatic stress disorder, severe anxiety and depression.

But he's battled back and now he's gearing up to compete in the 2023 Invictus Games this month.

"When I left the Canadian Armed forces, I was about 300 pounds. I was an alcoholic, and I was struggling," said Gordon at his home in Rothesay.

"My contingency plan was to take my life.

"It was essentially like a compass was inside of me spinning, and I had no direction or anywhere to put my energy," said Gordon.

But Gordon didn't give up. Instead, he started working on a charity and on himself.

First he got sober. It's been six years without a drink now, although he admits there were multiple times he failed, starting out.

He said the initial months of the COVID-19 lockdowns were especially difficult when, it seemed like every one around him was drinking much more. But it was during that time he noticed kids, who relied on lunch programs, were going hungry while attending school remotely.

Over the last two years he says his charity, Operation: Feed, has provided close to 100,000 meals to Saint John-area children.

Gordon matched his charity goals with his workout goal. After shedding more than 100 pounds, he's now in fantastic shape.

He's ready to compete in multiple events, including running several track distances, wheelchair basketball, rowing and table tennis, when the games kick off on Sept. 9 in Dusseldorf, Germany.

He's excited to represent Canada again on the world stage.

"And show my brothers and sisters in uniform that it's possible," said Gordon. "Not only is it possible to push yourself out of your depression and your anxiety, but also any type of adversity that you face in your life. It is possible to come back and be that individual that you need to be."

It's not Gordon's first go at a sporting competition since leaving the Canadian Forces.

In 2019, he competed in the Warrior Games, a multi-sport event hosted by the U.S. Department of Defence for injured or wounded personnel and veterans. He was selected as an ultimate champion, a contender for Canada who competed in eight different events, including archery, shooting, shot put and swimming.

But he said the weight-lifting competition left him injured once again.

"I tore my left pectoral in half during a bench press," said Gordon.

He didn't let that keep him down for long. He's fuelled by the desire to demonstrate that things can get better.

He said being able to return to the international stage is important, "and being able to wear the Canadian flag on my shoulder again and show so many people who are struggling right now that it's possible," said Gordon. "You can do it."

Accer
Accer
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercury Mon 18 Sep 2023, 4:48 pm

'Heart of Invictus': Halifax man featured in new Netflix series

Natalie Lombard . Published Sept 18, 2023

Invictus Games - Page 3 Darrell-ling-1-6566178-1695046517634

Mercury
Mercury

Back to top Go down