Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nijmegen March

+4
Stanleyz
Sandman
Lonestar
kodiak
8 posters

Go down

Nijmegen March  Empty Nijmegen March

Post by kodiak Wed 08 Aug 2018, 7:32 pm

By Lookout on Aug 08, 2018

Nijmegen march a success despite hurdles

Nijmegen March  Nijmegen-900x676

kodiak
kodiak

Back to top Go down

Nijmegen March  Empty Re: Nijmegen March

Post by Lonestar Tue 09 Jul 2019, 3:55 pm

July 9, 2019

Peterborough firefighter to represent Royal Canadian Legion at Dutch Nijmegen marches

Nijmegen March  Lee-harrison-3
Peterborough firefighter Lee Harrison will be partcipating in the Nijmegen March.

A Peterborough firefighter and former soldier has been selected to represent the Royal Canadian Legion at the 103rd annual International Four Days Marches Nijmegen in the Netherlands later this month.

Lee Harrison, a Canadian Armed Forces veteran of Bosnia and Afghanistan and a current firefighter, will join up to 50,000 civilian and military participants from 60 countries as they walk more than 40 kilometres a day while carrying a backpack of gear weighing 19 kilograms.

The International Four Days Marches Nijmegen features four days of marching throughout the area surrounding the city of Nijmegen. Participants make a loop, returning to a temporary camp base camp named Heumensoord.

The walk was originally a Dutch infantry exercise to increase long-distance marching and has grown to be the world’s largest walking event.

Harrison, 49, was selected among dozens of applications across the country, according to the Royal Canadian Legion. Harrison served 16 years in the Canadian Armed Forces, from 1994 to 2000, and is in his 18th year as a firefighter with Peterborough Fire Services.

“I’ve known about the Nijmegen March the entire time I was in the Canadian Forces,” said Harrison, who is also a member of Peterborough Legion Branch 52.

“It is something that I have always wanted to do. I trained for it every year, even though I wasn’t able to attend. It’s on my bucket list and I am so excited and honoured to be able to represent Canada, the Legion and veterans this year.”

Dominion president Tom Irvine says the Royal Canadian Legion looks for someone who is physically active and will “proudly represent” the organization.

“Lee is an exemplary Legion member and community member. We are proud that he will represent us,” Irvine said. “We wish him well on this adventure of a lifetime.”

Harrison has been regularly training for the event, beginning with low-mileage training and increasing his sessions daily. He also participates in the annual Canada Army Run.

“Right now, I did two 40K marches two days in a row and I am feeling great,” he said.

Harrison says he’s looking forward to the experience and to honour relatives, including his great uncle, who served in Holland during the Second World War.

“The opportunity to potentially walk in his footsteps would be exceptional,” he said.

Harrison heads to Ottawa on Wednesday to join the Canadian Armed Forces contingent to Europe for the July 16-19 event.

Lonestar
Lonestar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman Sat 13 Jul 2019, 9:14 am

Nijmegen March  5d2942ac91cb2.image

Air force officer from Vernon set to begin 4-day march in Netherlands

Special to The Daily Courier Jul 13, 2019

Sandman
Sandman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stanleyz Thu 18 Jul 2019, 9:09 am

Peterborough firefighter and veteran Lee Harrison representing Legion in Netherlands

March sees civilians and military members walk 40 kilometres over four days

July 17, 2019

Nijmegen March  B88792955Z.1_20190717214414_000_GO9LK9G8.3-0_Super_Portrait
Peterborough firefighter Lee Harrison, a Canadian Forces veteran, is representing the Royal Canadian Legion at the four-day Nijmegen March in the Netherlands. The march began Tuesday and wraps up Friday, and involves tens of thousands of people. - SPECIAL TO THE EXAMINER

Peterborough firefighter Lee Harrison, a Canadian Forces veteran, is representing the Royal Canadian Legion at this year's four-day Nijmegen March in the Netherlands.

Harrison, a veteran of the Bosnian and Afghan campaigns and a member of Peterborough Legion Branch 52, joins tens of thousands of participants from around the world, marching more than 40 kilometres a day.

The annual march, which began Tuesday and continues until Friday, is held in Nijmegen, Netherlands, is an annual fitness and community event that includes a military category. Participants walk 30, 40 or 50 kilometres. Members of the military and veterans do 40 kilometres in four days while wearing 10 kilograms of gear, water and supplies.

The Canadian Forces invites a legion member to join its team each year, in recognition of the legion's sponsorship of the team's visit to Vimy Ridge.

"We look for someone who is physically active and who will proudly represent the legion," stated Tom Irvine, president of the Royal Canadian Legion Dominion Command, in a release.

"Lee is an exemplary legion member and community member, we are proud that he will represent us. We wish him well on this adventure of a lifetime."

Legion staff provided this interview with Harrison to The Examiner:

How did you feel when you learned you had been accepted?

"I felt extremely honoured and proud to have the opportunity to represent the Legion and Veterans of Canada on this International March.

"I've known about the Nijmegen March the entire time I was in the Canadian Forces. It is something that I have always wanted to do. I trained for it every year even though I wasn't able to attend. It's on my bucket list and I am so excited and honoured to be able to represent Canada, the legion and veterans this year!"

How are you training for the four day March?

"I keep an active lifestyle and participate in races every year like Canada Army Run. For the Nijmegen March, we start training with a low millage and we increase it every day. Right now I did two 40K marches two days in a row and I am feeling great!"

What are you looking forward to the most?

"I'm looking forward to the entire experience. I loved my time in the Canadian Forces and am looking forward to representing veterans, Canada and The Royal Canadian Legion.

"My motivation to complete the Nijmegen March goes back to honouring Canadians like my great uncle who served in the Second World War. He served in Holland so the opportunity to potentially walk in his footsteps would be exceptional."

Why did you become a legion member?

"My great-uncle was a legion member and a Second World War and Korean veteran who took me to the legion for visits as a kid. I was also in the army cadets, so I had a lot of exposure to the legion as a young person. I saw what they did for veterans and military members as a firefighter in Peterborough as well, and I wanted to be part of it. I wanted to do my part in this organization that does a great job."

How has your experience as a legion member been so far? And what do you like best?

"It's been excellent! I've had a lot of exposure to Branch 52 in Peterborough over the years and I've seen how they are helping Veterans and the community."

To learn more, visit 4daagse.nl/en/.

Stanleyz
Stanleyz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazzer Fri 19 Jul 2019, 5:40 pm

Canadian Armed Forces teams complete 2019 International Four Days Marches Nijmegen

JULY 20, 2019

Today marks the end of the 103rd annual International Four Days Marches Nijmegen, in the Netherlands. Members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) from across Canada participated in the marching event, and were awarded the coveted Four Days Marches medal.

Today marks the end of the 103rd annual International Four Days Marches Nijmegen, in the Netherlands. Members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) from across Canada participated in the marching event, and were awarded the coveted Four Days Marches medal.

The CAF contingent, led by Lieutenant-Colonel Éric Quirion, marched 40 km per day for four days, an effort concluding in a five-kilometre victory parade. The parade was attended by thousands of spectators who cheered the CAF contingent in commemoration of the Canadian soldiers who liberated the Netherlands during the Second World War.

Originally a means by which the Dutch infantry aimed to increase their long-distance marching and weight-carrying ability, the marches have evolved into an international four-day event that draws nearly 50,000 military and civilian participants from 84 countries to challenge their physical and mental endurance.

The CAF has participated in the marches every year since 1952. The marches are an important event in that they promote CAF values, enhance our relationship with the Netherlands and other allies, and reiterate our ongoing engagement in Europe. Every year, while the contingent marches through the towns and countryside around the city of Nijmegen and visits the important Canadian war memorials of the region, members take the time to reflect on Canada’s legacy, to commemorate its past victories, and to remember Canada’s fallen.

Nijmegen March  1563562917580
Members of the Régiment de la Chaudière Nijmegen Team cross a pontoon bridge that was erected by the Dutch military on the Maas River in Cuijk, Netherlands, during the fourth and last day of marching of the Nijmegen Marches on July 19, 2019. Photo: Avr(T) Jerome Lessard, OPTIC

Nijmegen March  1563563269535
Members of the Royal Westminster Regiment Nijmegen Team celebrate the completion of the Nijmegen Marches during the traditional “Via Gladiola” – a victory lap where military marchers parade in downtown Nijmegen, Netherlands, on July 19, 2019. Photo: Avr(T) Jerome Lessard – OPTIC

“It is with great pride that the Canadian Armed Forces participates in the International four Days Marches Nijmegen on an annual basis. This international event enables us to reaffirm our continued support to peace and security in Europe as well as to celebrate our proud Canadian military history. It is also an opportunity to remember and honour the great contributions and sacrifices of the Canadians who served with bravery during the First and Second World War”. – Vice-Admiral Haydn Edmundson, Acting Commander Military Personnel Command

“I am immensely proud today of each and every one of the members of this year’s contingent. Over the past few days, I have had the chance to see first-hand how dedicated, strong, perseverant and resilient these women and men are. They have overcome every physical and mental challenge associated with the marches and have not only demonstrated immense professionalism, but have also proudly represented Canada.” – Lieutenant-Colonel Éric Quirion, Commander Joint Task Force Nijmegen

“I am thrilled to see the Canadian Armed Forces contingent walk down the streets of Nijmegen today. The Canada-Netherlands relationship is like no other, rooted in the liberation of the country by the Canadian Forces in World War 2. It’s been a deeply moving experience this week to see Canadians march again through the cities and towns of the Netherlands, and to watch them stop at Canadian war cemeteries to honour the sacrifice of our fallen. I am proud to be here to see this dedicated contingent march across the finish line. Congratulations!” – Sabine Nölke, Ambassador of Canada to the Kingdom of the Netherlands

Tazzer
Tazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackson Thu 21 May 2020, 5:44 pm

Nijmegen Virtual Marches 2020 - CAF May 21, 2020

Jackson
Jackson

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargunner Sun 18 Apr 2021, 6:22 pm

Nijmegen March  2741858880 Veterans Affairs Canada Apr 18. 2021

Victory March / La marche de la Victoire

Did you know The Canadian Armed Forces has participated every year in the Nijmegen since 1952! Fun fact brought to you by our partner Veterans Affairs Canada . Register now! #VictoryMarch2021

Nijmegen March  2010343111 Victory March

Stargunner
Stargunner
Advocate Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Tue 27 Apr 2021, 1:08 pm

Jeremiah
Jeremiah

Back to top Go down

Post by Stargunner Wed 05 May 2021, 2:48 pm

Nijmegen March  2741858880 Veterans Affairs Canada May 05. 2021

Join Veterans Affairs Canada today to virtually march alongside members of the Canadian Armed Forces. #VictoryMarch2021

Stargunner
Stargunner
Advocate Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down