Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remembrance Day

+73
Callvery
Falcon
Firefox
Silveray
Whiskey
Lockey
Mojave
Leopard
Kizzer
Hammercore
Oliver
Marshall
Spider
Jeremiah
Ringo
Lincoln
Glideon
Starman
Cooper
Firestrike
Thunder
Colter
Jackal
Saulman
Maxstar
Maverick
Magnum
Jackson
Stealth
Ironman
Apollo
Wolfman
Ravenson
Vizzer
Masefield
Charlie
Wolverine
Zoneforce
Tazzer
Xrayxservice
Lucifer
Armoured
Caliber
RunningLight
Navigator
Edgefore
Seawolf
Slider
Dragonforce
Riverway
Phrampton
Stanleyz
Sandman
Rockarm
Scorpion
Phantom
Garrison
Forcell
Trooper
Powergunner
pinger
Warrior
Replica
Vexmax
RevForce
SniperGod
Cypher
Stayner
OutlawSoldier
Matrix
Looper
Ranger
Zodiac
77 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

Remembrance Day  - Page 15 Empty Re: Remembrance Day

Post by RevForce Fri 11 Nov 2022, 12:38 pm

Remembrance Day 2022 | CBC News Special

RevForce
RevForce

Back to top Go down

Post by Powergunner Wed 11 Oct 2023, 8:29 am

Alternate location considered for Halifax Remembrance Day ceremony due to homeless encampment

Bruce Frisko . Published Oct. 10, 2023

Powergunner
Powergunner
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum Thu 26 Oct 2023, 11:30 am

Sask. will require employers to let staff wear poppies

David Prisciak . Published Oct. 25, 2023

Decision to move Halifax Remembrance Day ceremony gets mixed reaction

Paul Hollingsworth . Published Oct. 24, 2023

Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantom Wed 01 Nov 2023, 11:19 am

Manitoba woman whose son died in Bosnia named National Silver Cross Mother

'I think of him every day — like, every single day,' Gloria Hooper says about Chris, who died in 1996

Darren Bernhardt · CBC News · Posted: Nov 01, 2023

Remembrance Day  - Page 15 Gloria-hooper-national-silver-cross-mother

Phantom
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by Luxray Fri 10 Nov 2023, 11:38 am

Canadian military veterans keen to keep history alive as their numbers drop

By Bill Graveland . The Canadian Press . Posted November 10, 2023

The time around Remembrance Day is tough for Second World War veterans like Hank Jackson, who turns 103 in January.

“It’s the only time you really stop and think about all the poor buggers that didn’t make it,” said Jackson, a former tail gunner on a Halifax bomber.

Jackson flew 32 combat missions from the United Kingdom. All members of his crew received Distinguished Flying Crosses from the United States Armed Forces.

“They’ve all disappeared. My father and my brother were both in the army overseas – my father in the First World War – and all three of us made it back. So we did above average. We gotta remember a lot of those guys that didn’t.”

Bill Cook, who is 98 and was also a tail gunner in the Second World War, flew a dozen missions over Europe.

“My crew have all passed away. It still haunts me.”

More than one million Canadians served in the Second World War. More than 45,000 died and another 55,000 were wounded. Another 33,000 fought in the Korean War.

Veterans Affairs Canada says there are 9,267 veterans of the Second World War and Korean War who are still alive in Canada.

But as veterans die, military historians worry about keeping their history alive in the minds of Canadians.

Staff with The Military Museums in Calgary, home to eight separate museums, have interviewed many of the dwindling number of Second World War veterans.

“It’s always a huge loss when we lose our veterans’ voices,” said senior curator Rory Cory.

“That’s why it’s important for us as a museum and as educators and historians in general to try and keep the public interest alive in those kind of things. It’s up to the next generations to carry the torch forward.”

Cory said the organization has come up with ways to get more war history into Calgary classrooms. There’s a program called Explosive Threats related to mining and demining and peacekeeping. And there’s another called Explosive Math, which has students do mathematical calculations to plot the shot fall of an artillery shell.

Karl Kjarsgaard, curator of the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton, Alta., said he’s disappointed with how little students are learning in school about Canada’s contribution to the Second World War.

“Why should children come to our museum and say, ‘Canada was in World War II?’ I am concerned that Canadians are not being told of the excellence of gentlemen like these guys that did their best to give us our freedom.”

Canada’s involvement in the Second World War is taught in schools, but it often focuses on international conflicts and root causes as opposed to specific battles and exploits.

In British Columbia, for example, the provincial education ministry says social studies for Grade 10 covers the history of Canada and the world from 1914 to present day and requires all students learn about “international conflicts and co-operation,” with the world wars a suggested topic.

Jackie Jansen van Doorn, executive director of The Military Museums Foundation, said stories from a source are key to educating the younger generation.

“Having someone who’s actually been through a war and tell their first-hand experience is something that really makes memories for students that come through our doors,” she said.

“The education component this is just huge, and having the loss of these veterans impacts on how the next generation remembers things.”

Cook vividly remembered the first time he was in a firefight.

“The instructor would say, ‘You don’t shoot until you see the whites of their eyes.’ This Focke-Wulf (German fighter plane) was coming in on the tail and I was sitting there waiting until he got closer, and all of a sudden he fired and hit the tail fin,” Cook said.

“I was so bloody scared, I didn’t know which way to turn. After that, I thought to hell with the hero worship. When a fighter came in and he was 400 or 500 yards away, I would fire a blast off to let him know, ‘I see you,’ and they would usually peel off.”

Jackson said he doesn’t remember a lot of the missions, but he does recall facing his own mortality.

“When we were flying, I honestly did not think we’d make it. Because, you know, I thought if it happened, it’s going to happen, and I just hope it happens quick,” he said with a laugh.

“I didn’t want to go down in a flame or something.”

Jackson said he has shared some of his experiences with young people who have come to visit, but he also understands why some aren’t aware of what happened in the past. They may not have had family members who served.

“Anyone who has had a family member affected, they probably do.”

Luxray
Luxray
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiskey Fri 10 Nov 2023, 5:18 pm

'It reminds you of the things you’ve experienced': Veteran reflects on what Remembrance Day means

Laura Brown . Published Nov. 10, 2023

It’s an anniversary, recognizing the end of the First World War. It’s also, historically, been a chance for communities to gather and think about how much they lost.

But Remembrance Day is not a celebration, especially for those who intimately know the people we’re all remembering, says veteran Brian Macdonald.

“There is a certain amount of stress that comes with Remembrance Day, you know, because, it reminds you of the things you've experienced,” he said.

“It reminds you of the things that your friends have experienced. I spend Remembrance Day surrounded by friends that are veterans, and a lot of them have a real hard emotional time at Remembrance Day because it is so, so personal to them.”

MacDonald’s deployments include Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan. He spends a lot of his time now with fellow veterans – from Second World War, to modern day conflicts.

“I've been lucky to know some Second World War veterans. A lot of people do. But it's their parents and their grandparents and sometimes their great grandparents. So it's a distant connection. And we're about to lose that entirely because that generation is passing. And so really, it's a new generation of veterans that are that are focused on Remembrance Day,” he said.

Robert Huish, an associate professor within Dalhousie University’s International Development department, said the origins of Remembrance Day date back over 100 years ago.

It was started by the communities who lost so many of their own – not the federal government.

“These were communities that had generations, a generation wiped out, small communities Atlantic Canada, Ontario, even into western Canada, whose younger population didn't come back,” he said.

And that tradition has remained steadfast.

But there is a difference between the treatment of today’s veterans, and those last generation, Huish said.

“Modern day war veterans haven't been getting the same level of respect, and there's a lot more challenges that they've been facing. And that sort of public enthusiasm and government support hasn't been there in the same level that it was towards the end of World War Two,” Huish said.

Macdonald agrees, saying he’s been deeply concerned about one particular issue.

“There's a tremendous amount of veterans that are now without homes and that's a real concern. And that number seems to be growing. It's really disturbing,” he said.

He says, for those who’ve served, they remember every day, not just on Nov.11.

As of March 31, the Canadian War Service veteran population – which includes Second World War and Korean War Veterans – is estimated to be 9,297 nationwide.

The total number of veterans, including the Canadian Armed Forces, in the Maritimes as of March 31:

. Prince Edward Island: 3,581
. Nova Scotia, 32,620
. New Brunswick: 19,950

Whiskey
Whiskey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackal Fri 10 Nov 2023, 8:27 pm

Canadians think more needs to be done to remember sacrifice of veterans: poll

Nov 10, 2023

Veterans Affairs Minister Ginette Petitpas Taylor and president of Historica Canada Anthony Wilson Smith weigh in on an Ipsos poll that found 85 per cent believe Canadians should do more to honour veterans.

Jackal
Jackal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingway Sat 11 Nov 2023, 4:51 pm

Kingway
Kingway

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down