Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minister’s Message

Go down

Minister’s Message Empty Minister’s Message

Post by Spider Thu 13 Feb 2020, 7:46 am

Minister’s Message

Minister’s Message MVA-photo

As the Minister of Veterans Affairs, I am honoured to present the Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Departmental Plan for the 2019–20 fiscal year. The Departmental Plan provides information on the work of the Department and our plans and priorities for 2019–20. The report describes what we plan to achieve and how it will benefit Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members, Veterans, Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), and the families that we serve.

A key priority for 2019–20 continues to be ensuring the well-being of Veterans and their families is placed at the centre of everything we do. Our last several Budgets provided increased financial security for Veterans and their families, when and where they need it. Investments include increased attention to mental wellness, financial support for caregivers and delivering an Education and Training Benefit that provides support to Veterans in achieving their education and future post-military career goals.

I believe it is the responsibility of each of us to remember those who have served and continue to serve this country. Assuming this responsibility means we will make accessing our services and programs as easy as possible. We will continue to improve our programs and services by listening to what our Veterans tell us. For example, they told us they wanted a return to a lifelong pension, and on April 1, 2019, we will provide exactly that, through Pension for Life for ill or injured Veterans.

It is important to keep in mind that Pension for Life is but one part of the benefits and supports in place to help Veterans and their families achieve well-being. For example, The Prime Minister gave me a clear mandate to reduce complexity and strengthen partnerships between Veterans Affairs and National Defence. Our goal is to ‘close the seam’ and ensure a smooth and simpler transition for the CAF members to access VAC programs and services.

We will ensure all releasing members of the CAF, as well as Veterans and their families, have the knowledge and ability to access the range of services available to guide them through their transition from military to post service life. We will work alongside our colleagues at CAF to develop comprehensive tools and guides which include:

• A joint transition website that provides a single point of access on all programs to support transition during and post-service at a member’s fingertips;

• My Transition Guide, a ready-to-use reference for members and families to access information on support and services available throughout the transition process; and

• My Transition Services app, now available for download on the Apple App Store and Google Play.

The commemoration of those who served our great country is equally important and needs to be carried out with the greatest sensitivity and respect. In 2019, we will mark key military milestones such as the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the Battle of Normandy and the 75th anniversary of the Italian Campaign. By recognizing and honouring the extraordinary service and sacrifice witnessed 75 years ago, we will keep the memory of Canada’s Second World War experience alive for generations to come.

There is still much we will do. Additional priorities include advancing our Homelessness Strategy, establishing a team to process RCMP disability benefit applications and working with colleagues at CAF to launch the final implementation stage of the Veteran Service Card. The Department will serve Veterans and their families with the care, compassion and respect they deserve and will work on the continued delivery of results to achieve the goals outlined in this plan. I look forward to a successful year in 2019–20.

Sincerely,

The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, PC, MP
Minister of Veterans Affairs and
Associate Minister of National Defence

Arrow Minister’s Message

Arrow Departmental Plan 2019–2020

Spider
Spider
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down