Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma

4 posters

Go down

Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma Empty Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma

Post by Trooper Sat 02 Dec 2017, 6:24 pm

After nightmares and numbness, 'that lick on my face was like two years of therapy'

CBC News --- Posted: Dec 02, 2017

Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma Stephane-marcotte-and-compassion-dog-sarge
Stephane Marcotte said Sarge helps to 'ground' him when the dog senses he is under stress.

Sometimes, Stephane Marcotte has learned, the best medicine is a dog.

Marcotte left the Canadian military with an operational stress injury after a 28-year career that included "many bad experiences."

As he skirts the details of the traumatic events he saw and the nightmares and insomnia that followed, his companion Sarge, a large yellow labrador, watches him closely for signs of distress.

"What he's actually doing right now, he's grounding me," Marcotte said. "He's going to jump on me and make sure I'm down to earth."

Sarge will be on hand with Marcotte at a fundraiser called Pet Pictures with Santa Dec. 2 and 3 in Saanich in Greater Victoria.

The event will raise money for Vancouver Island Compassion Dogs, a group based in Qualicum Beach that trains canines to help people with disabilities, including post-traumatic stress disorder.

After a nightmare-inducing experience on board a submarine, Marcotte tried treatment with medications but quit, because he hated feeling numb and unresponsive.

He said he was "not doing too good" when he attended an event for servicemen in 2015 that included a booth promoting Vancouver Island Compassion Dogs.

Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma 22729144_1676062589091842_8262681505868072473_n

"A lady with a brown lab was there," he said. "The lady said hi to me and the dog just came and licked my face, and I started to cry."

"It was then that I said, 'that's what I need'," Marcotte said. "That lick on my face was like two years of therapy."

It prompted him to begin the process of getting his own service dog.

Marcotte said Sarge has turned his life around.

"Sometimes when I have a flashback or a nightmare he will just jump on the bed and he'll just poke me," he said. "Make sure I'm awake. If I'm not then he will jump and just lick me."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-island-compassion-dogs-military-ptsd-therapy-1.4429123
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

https://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma Empty Re: Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma

Post by prawnstar Sun 03 Dec 2017, 1:43 pm

This is the same program that I got my service dog Mia from. Great organization dedicated to helping veterans with OSI's.

prawnstar

Back to top Go down

Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma Empty Re: Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma

Post by Alpha Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:00 am

Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma VICD_Logo-01

Serving those
who served.
OUR SERVICE DOG TRAINING PROGRAM
PROVIDES VETERANS WITH RENEWED
PURPOSE, CONFIDENCE AND
UNCONDITIONAL SUPPORT.

Alpha
Alpha
Advocate Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:07 am

Delta-based B.C. and Alberta Guide Dogs Society and Vancouver Island Compassion Dogs merging to service to more veterans

GRACE KENNEDY / Aug. 17, 2018

Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma 13165208_web1_copy_180823-NDR-PTSDDogs_1-640x427@2x

Alpha
Alpha
Advocate Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrison Thu 23 Aug 2018, 5:16 pm

Dogs offer support to PTSD sufferers
Ian Jacques / Delta Optimist
AUGUST 23, 2018

Compassion with a wet nose: 'Sarge' helps veteran heal from trauma Patti-and-tiaa

Garrison
Garrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down