Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping

3 posters

Go down

Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping Empty Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping

Post by Wolfman Mon 12 Feb 2018, 8:43 pm

Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping Hill-times-logo

GLOBAL

Studies on transition from
military to civilian life hurting,
not helping current, former
members of Armed Forces

By GARY WALBOURNE        FEB. 12, 2018

Whoever gets the job of pushing the boulder up the mountain after my tenure ends will be at parliamentary committees for many years to come, with the same, message I will be delivering yet again later this week.

There have been numerous occasions during my tenure as Canada’s National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Ombudsman when I felt like Sisyphus: that character in Greek mythology who was forced to push a boulder up a mountain only to have it repeatedly roll back down and hit him.

In the Canadian military, there is no boulder more stubborn to move than the process known as transition. Often referred to as, “transition to civilian life”—transition is, in theory, a smooth and respectful exit from the military for ill and injured members.

The reality is that transition is neither smooth nor respectful.

Why?

The answer, I fear, boils down to a bureaucracy that fails to consider new ways of doing things and has to be dragged kicking and screaming towards change.

We don’t need more studies on
transition

The House of Commons Veterans Affairs Committee has launched another study on transition. I have been asked to appear before them later this week.

I hope this is the last time I will appear before their committee, or any other, to discuss transition.

I’m tired of talking about the same points over and over again.

I know the number of times I have appeared before the Commons and Senate committees and spoken about transition. I also know that during the past five years (2012-2017) those committees, cumulatively, have made or reiterated over a hundred recommendations to make the system work as it should.

Since 2007, both House of Commons committees on Veterans Affairs and National Defence have made 121 and 69 recommendations, respectively. All this in addition to the recommendations made by the veterans ombudsman and my office. Most have been accepted—however, many remain to be implemented.

Similar recommendations have also been made by other government departments.

For example, in 2012 the auditor general of Canada weighed in on transition—two years before I became ombudsman. He noted how unnecessarily complex the process was and urged the Department of National Defence/Canadian Armed Forces (DND/CAF) and Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) to come up with a simple, user-friendly solution.

In 2010, VAC conducted a major study on transition in concert with Statistics Canada. A related study with Statistics Canada was also done in 2012. The release of the results of another Statistics Canada survey of 400 Canadian Armed Forces members, veterans, and their families on the subject of “Transition and Well-Being” is anticipated this month.

If that wasn’t enough, the federal government committed to “reinventing transition” early last year in Canada’s Defence Policy: Strong, Secure, Engaged.

My office and the Veterans Ombudsman’s Office have repeatedly offered evidence-based solutions to these issues.

When will policy become reality?

As I told the Commons Veterans Affairs Committee barely three months ago, I provided a comprehensive, evidence-based report to the minister of national defence when he called for submissions to inform the defence policy. I was heartened to see some of my recommendations included in the final policy.

Specifically, my recommendation to retain ill and injured members until all benefits and services are in place was accepted. I have been told itis now official government policy, although I have not seen anything to substantiate that assertion.

But we have yet to see the policy become reality—my office continues to receive urgent calls from transitioning members who are being released before their benefits and services are in place.

What solution is being offered?

Another study.

In October last year, researchers from DND/CAF and VAC advertised for ill and injured members to take part in a survey to: “better understand the needs of ill or injured members and their families during the transition to civilian life.” As I contemplate that egregious waste of time and money, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

As I have said many times, the system is broken but fixable. We have the information needed to fix it, but that won’t happen until policy becomes reality and the bureaucratic obstacles are removed.

If that doesn’t happen, I guarantee one thing: whoever gets the job of pushing the boulder up the mountain after my tenure ends will be at parliamentary committees for many years to come, with the same, message I will be delivering yet again later this week.

Gary Walbourne is the National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces Ombudsman. His term is scheduled to end spring 2019.

The Hill Times

https://www.hilltimes.com/2018/02/12/studies-transition-military-civilian-life-hurting-not-helping-current-former-members-armed-forces/133831

Wolfman
Wolfman
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping Empty Re: Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping

Post by Trooper Wed 14 Feb 2018, 6:56 am

'The system is broken':

Watchdog rips into endless
grind of studies on veterans issues

'We know what needs to be done,' says Gary Walbourne. 'We just need to do it.'

By Murray Brewster, CBC News
Posted: Feb 14, 2018

Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping Trevor-sanderson
Trevor Sanderson was camping this week beneath the walkway connecting the East and West Memorial Buildings on Wellington Street in Ottawa, ahead of Thursday's protest for better services for veterans. (Marc-André Cossette/CBC)

There's an old joke in Ottawa about crisis management.

One bureaucrat asks another: How do you make bad news go away?

The answer: Order a study.

Over the past few years, both the House of Commons defence and veterans committees have between them conducted 14 different studies on how to improve services, benefits and the lives of ex-soldiers, sailors and aircrew.

Collectively, the all-party MPs committees have made a jaw-dropping 190 recommendations for improvements to those systems and services at both National Defence and Veterans Affairs Canada.

That total does not include reams of separate recommendations from the military ombudsman and the veterans ombudsman, who have built their own virtual cottage industry out of drafting reports.

The question preoccupying the veterans committee these days is: How can the federal government give soldiers a smoother transition from uniforms to civilian jobs?

Gary Walbourne, the Canadian Forces ombudsman, almost seemed to wonder aloud why he'd been called to testify before MPs on Tuesday — and why the committee is still asking that question.

"We do not need another study into transition," he said. "We know what needs to be done. We just need to do it."

His exasperation was, at times, evident — and seemed to be shared by MPs both sides of the political aisle.

Shared angst

"No one will disagree with your essential point that we keep having reviews and nothing gets done," Liberal backbencher Bob Bratina said.

Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping Gary-walbourne
Canadian Forces ombudsman Gary Walbourne at a Senate veterans affairs committee
hearing in Ottawa on May 4. (Sean Kilpatrick/Canadian Press)

Conservative MP Cathay Wagantall said Tuesday that one of the first questions she'd asked upon joining the committee was: Why are we studying this again?

"I share your angst in regard to the fact so many studies have been done," she told Walbourne.

Asked at a recent town hall appearance why his government is still fighting veterans challenging Ottawa's pension policy in court, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that the veterans are "asking for more than we are able to give right now" — a reply that probably generated more heat than light.

But the chief source of frustration for many veterans lies in the bureaucracy, not the courts — in the seemingly endless grind of reviews and examinations of what seem to be common-sense ideas which too often end up going nowhere.

Failed system

That hazy sense that nothing ever changes — or at least that nothing ever changes fast enough — is what's driving the ex-soldiers now camped out in protest in the parliamentary precinct in Ottawa.

Trevor Sanderson and Dick Groot plan to stay until Thursday, when a larger veterans protest is expected to arrive.

Sanderson and Groot say they feel disrespected by Trudeau, but the root of their frustration is what they see as the federal government's inability to deal with their benefit claims.

"When I did go to the system, everything went crazy," Groot told CBC News earlier this week. "It failed utterly."

Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping Military-depression-abuse-20160127
Canadian soldiers patrol southwest of Kandahar, Afghanistan, Monday, June 7, 2010.

One the problems ex-soldiers like Groot face is the fact that Veterans Affairs Canada must weigh in with its own separate medical opinion on injuries that have been diagnosed by military doctors and attributed to their time in uniform.

Walbourne has recommended more than once that the military medical opinion be the first and last word in such cases — something defence and veterans officials have neither ruled in nor ruled out.

"I do not have a clear, concise response as to why it cannot be implemented," he told the committee.

"I keep hearing legislation would have to change. I don't think so. I think we have an opportunity there that we don't have to do that, but if we do, then OK, let's do it."

Enormous backlog

The Canadian Press reported last fall that the number of veterans waiting to find out if they qualify for disability benefits has topped 29,000 — a 50 per cent increase since March of last year.

Testifying last week before the same committee Walbourne spoke to on Tuesday, a senior veterans official was only able to offer vague assurances that claims would be processed within the mandated 16-week response window.

The official, Elizabeth Douglas, said the problem did not fall within her authority.

"However, again, we do recognize that there have been delays with the service standards, and there is work under way to ensure that is corrected," she said.

Walbourne said he's been talking about issues related to transition for almost eight years — first as the deputy veterans ombudsman, now as the military ombudsman.

"It is my humble opinion that asking the government why accepted recommendations have not been implemented will bring timelier, more concrete results than doing an additional study," he said.

"The current system is broken … I ask that we stop defending positions on the subject of transition that are indefensible."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veteran-ombudsman-studies-1.4534124

Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

https://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping Empty Re: Studies on transition from military to civilian life hurting, not helping

Post by vet1 Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:40 am

Transition to civi street..," boils down to a bureaucracy" , he says. Partially right. I have seen people working in the 'transition' machine that should not be working with PEOPLE at all.
Especially, when they deal with ill and injured soldiers. I have seen this 'transition system' nasty as well for regular soldiers who decided to release after the initial engagement. There are some very, not nice people working with people. That cannot be legislated.

vet1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:49 pm

CTV Power Play

Feb 14, 2018

The View from the Hill panel discuss a legal framework for Indigenous people and the Canadian Forces watchdog calling for action

Canadian Forces watchdog discussion starts at 04:05

Wolfman
Wolfman
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down