Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy

+8
Zapper
Rekert
vet1
Cooper
Jumper
Masefield
Apollo
Ravenson
12 posters

Go down

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy Empty NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy

Post by Ravenson Sat 19 May 2018, 8:14 am

She wants to be Mississauga Centre’s MPP, but if she wins don’t ask this NDP candidate to wear a poppy on Remembrance Day.

Joe Warmington
May 18, 2018

She wants to be Mississauga Centre’s MPP, but if she wins don’t ask this NDP candidate to wear a poppy on Remembrance Day.

“I just wear my peace button on my jacket as always and wait for the collective brainwashing to blow over,” said Laura Kaminker in a 2014 blog post.

“When our masters give the signal, everyone can take off the fake poppy — made with prison labour — and create a bit more landfill. And another annual ritual of war glorification comes to a close.”

The people who those poppies represent died so that this librarian can take such a view.

Views are something Kaminker has plenty of.

For example, Laura doesn’t like when the Maple Leafs, Blue Jays or Argos honour troops at games with a standing ovation and a team sweater handed to them by an esteemed member of the alumni.

“Why is war glorified at a baseball game or a hockey game? Why is military worship associated with sporting events? Why should we accept this as normal and natural?” she wrote.

She added, “Is there an assumption that the people who attend sporting events are especially receptive to military propaganda?” She refers to veterans as “heroes” in quotation marks and asks is “every ‘hero’ honoured, every flag waved, every resounding exhortation about the troops ‘protecting our way of life,’ is a conscious act, and a political one.”

Laura also is one of those who questioning if in fact 911 was an Al-Qaeda attack?

“Enough about September 11…for the US. For the world. Enough already,” she blogged.

Originally an American who came north in 2003 out of protest of her home country’s political stance on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Kaminker wrote the commemoration of that day that killed almost 3,000 people including 24 Canadians “makes me want to shout: Go away! Go the [f—] away! All of you fixating on this one event, the whole world expected to stand in hushed silence because a bad thing happened to Americans.”

She also explains “Marxism 2011 program notes” from a conference she described as a “weekend of inspiration, education, and revolution.”

I have reached out to Laura to talk about this but she has yet to return voice mails, e-mails and Twitter requests. I do hope to connect to learn if earlier statements square her views today?

To be fair, most of these comments go back to 2012, the same time as Tanya Granic Allen’s words about women wearing burkas and on same-sex marriage — words that got her turfed from the Progressive Conservative nomination for this same Mississauga Centre riding.

The problem with this election is there has been so much gotcha stuff. It’s endless. It’s relentless. It’s pointless.

For example, Markham Liberal MPP hopeful Amanda Yeung Collucci’s 2012 Facebook post — “911, was it really a terrorist attack or another conspiracy for cover up? As soon as it happened back in 2001, I thought: ‘how can the US Defense be so weak? I thought the US had LET it happen so they can declare war” — has her on the hot seat.

I say let it go. Who cares? As long as no is threatened or in danger, it’s not important today.

Personally, I don’t think any of these candidates, if democratically nominated, should be disqualified for what they wrote or said years ago — especially when they are just expressing how they felt at that moment in a country with free speech.

That said, the electorate should be able to see what their positions were so they can make an informed decision if this is someone they want representing them?

For example if the NDP forms the next Ontario government by getting out how Laura Kaminker felt in 2012, no one will be able say they didn’t know she was at that time against wearing a poppy, supporting our troops at sporting events or someone who attended Marxist conferences.

If she’s elected, all of that will have been put out on the table for voters to decide.

jwarmington@postmedia.com

Ravenson
Ravenson

Back to top Go down

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy Empty Re: NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy

Post by Apollo Mon 21 May 2018, 7:33 pm

NDP candidate sparks outrage with poppy remark

Joe Warmington
Published:
May 21, 2018

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy Ndp-e1526939740221

Apollo
Apollo
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy Empty Re: NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy

Post by Apollo Tue 22 May 2018, 7:41 pm

Poppy doesn't glorify war, local Legion president says

Antonella Artuso
Published:
May 22, 2018

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy Fordpick-019

Apollo
Apollo
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Masefield Tue 22 May 2018, 8:38 pm

One candidate won’t wear a poppy while the other is fully committed to our veterans.

Published:
May 22, 2018

PCs plan on exempting Legion branches from municipal property taxes

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy Ont_elxn_horwath_20180521_64267562-e1527028347546

Masefield
Masefield
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jumper Wed 23 May 2018, 6:13 am

Anti-poppy candidate should be turfed

Wed., May 23, 2018

Mississauga NDP candidate Laura Kaminker should be ashamed of herself for insulting all Canadian war veterans, especially those of the First and Second World Wars who saved Canada’s freedom and democracy.

To class the sacred poppy as nothing but landfill is something unthinkable to me. It’s because of our brave war veterans that she is able to make this unsavoury, cowardly statement.

I hope NDP Leader Andrea Horwath demonstrates the decency and respect she has for veterans by dismissing Ms. Kaminker as a candidate.

Ron Whitehorne, Almonte, Ont.

It is interesting that NDP Leader Andrea Horwath is defending Mississauga Centre candidate Laura Kaminker’s opposition to wearing poppies on Remembrance Day but not those of us like former PC candidate Tanya Granic Allen who disagree with abortion and same-sex marriage.

John Clubine, Etobicoke

Jumper
Jumper

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooper Wed 23 May 2018, 9:54 am

Cooper
Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post by vet1 Wed 23 May 2018, 1:50 pm

That must be the dumbest candidate I have ever heard off. Unless, she is appealing to that group of people who get 10mil in compensations.

vet1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekert Thu 24 May 2018, 7:00 am

Scott Smith wears poppy to school

Joe Warmington
May 23, 2018

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy Poppy2-copy-e1527121266297

Rekert
Rekert

Back to top Go down

Post by Zapper Thu 24 May 2018, 8:51 pm

Zapper
Zapper

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 Fri 25 May 2018, 12:38 pm

its crazy to think how many people will follow her BS. Is this the new way things will go later in life that people like her will one day want to get rid of 11 NOV as well. One can only hope that the public will not stand for this kind of disgraceful act and make sure she never gets voted in.

bosn181

Back to top Go down

Post by Scorpion Fri 25 May 2018, 3:13 pm

From Hitler memes to 9/11 truthers, Ontario NDP candidate controversies grow as party enters spotlight

Brian Platt
May 25, 2018

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy Andreaedited

The poppy problem

Mississauga Centre NDP candidate Laura Kaminker caused a ruckus over a 2014 Facebook post where she declares her opposition to wearing the red poppy on Remembrance Day.

“I just wear my peace button on my jacket as always and wait for the collective brainwashing to blow over,” her post said. “When our masters give the signal, everyone can take off the fake poppy — made with prison labour — and create a bit more landfill. And another annual ritual of war glorification comes to a close.”

The opposition parties howled in protest that it was an insult to Canadian veterans, but NDP leader Andrea Horwath defended her candidate’s right to hold the view.

“Those are certainly not values I share, but freedom of speech is a principle that we all, I think, value,” Horwath said.

Scorpion
Scorpion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger Mon 28 May 2018, 2:00 pm

Refusing to wear poppy unacceptable

Barrie Advance / May 28, 2018

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy SimcoeWebNewLogo-Letter___Super_Portrait

Ranger
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Zapper Wed 30 May 2018, 8:30 pm

NDP land in another poppy scandal

Joe Warmington
Published:
May 30, 2018

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy Johnstone__jan_-_huron-bruce_-_ondp_64134304-1-e1527721275639

Zapper
Zapper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolverine Fri 08 Jun 2018, 9:48 am

‘People were ready for a change’: PC Natalia Kusendova victorious in Mississauga Centre

By Laura Sebben
June 8, 2018

With just over 25 per cent of Mississauga Centre’s votes, Kusendova’s runner up was NDP candidate Laura Kaminker, a lifelong grassroots social justice activist and librarian. Kaminker found herself in hot water mere months before the election, after posts she made online seemingly bashed Canadian veterans, calling the traditional November poppy pin “another annual ritual of war glorification.”

NDP candidate says she won't wear a poppy Natalia%20Kusendova2_Super_Portrait

Wolverine
Wolverine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down