Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monument

+32
Monsfool
Spectrum
Mojave
Whiskey
Enforcer
XTYF--33
GeminiTeam
Vizzer
Covert
Replica
Proctor
Sandman
Stanleyz
Lucifer
Ironman
Tazzer
Zapper
Stealth
Jackal
Marshall
Cooper
Jackson
Apollo
Dalton
RevForce
Armoured
Seawolf
Alpha
Garrison
Spider
Powergunner
SniperGod
36 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Monument Empty Monument

Post by SniperGod Tue 18 Sep 2018, 7:35 pm

LAV III monument erected to honour Afghanistan veterans

By Paulina Hrebacka - Sept 18, 2018

Monument LAV%20III%20ceremony(2)_Super_Portrait

SniperGod
SniperGod
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Monument Empty Re: Monument

Post by Powergunner Mon 29 Oct 2018, 2:01 pm

Federal funds support monuments to fallen Canadian soldiers

Oct 29, 2018

Monument 261018_serre_cenotaph

Powergunner
Powergunner
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Spider Wed 31 Oct 2018, 9:10 am

Beach Memories: Monuments honour those who sacrificed for Canada’s freedom

October 31, 2018
Monument Gene-D-at-Memorial-1030-1024x683

Spider
Spider
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrison Thu 01 Nov 2018, 7:34 pm

Garrison
Garrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha Sun 04 Nov 2018, 6:19 pm

Alpha
Alpha
Advocate Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Seawolf Fri 09 Nov 2018, 8:54 pm

New monument in London commemorates Canadian soldiers

CBC News · Posted: Nov 09, 2018

Monument Lav-dedication-ceremony

Seawolf
Seawolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Armoured Sat 10 Nov 2018, 10:48 am

Monument honours CAF peacekeeping missions

BY ANGELICA HAGGERTNOVEMBER 10, 2018

Monument Image6-640x400

Armoured
Armoured

Back to top Go down

Post by RevForce Wed 28 Nov 2018, 1:22 pm

Belgian sculpture to honour Nova Scotia WW I veteran George Price

Nina Corfu · CBC News · Posted: Oct 03, 2016

Monument George-price

RevForce
RevForce

Back to top Go down

Post by Dalton Fri 01 Feb 2019, 12:09 pm

19th Century survey marker transformed into monument

By Lookout on Feb 01, 2019

Monument HolmesIMG4987-900x676
The monument for Lieutenant-Colonel Josiah Greenwood Holmes and his wife Elizabeth Holmes was placed in Ross Bay Cemetery on Nov. 10, 2018.

Peter Mallett, Staff Writer ~

A solid granite stone survey marker once cast aside by construction workers has been crafted into a monument honoring a pioneer Deputy Adjutant General of the Canadian Army Permanent Force, and former District Officer Commanding, stationed on the Pacific Coast where he was responsible for the defence works and School of Artillery training of the local Militia forces, originating in 1888.

The monument for Lieutenant-Colonel Josiah Greenwood Holmes and his wife Elizabeth Holmes was placed in Ross Bay Cemetery on Nov. 10, 2018, following remembrance efforts by his descendants. The granite survey marker was originally installed marking the site of Work Point Barracks in the late 1880s. But it was left behind by work crews after a demolition project of the “Work Point Barracks Officers Mess and Quarters” in 2006.

Local historian and veteran Signalman (Retired) Jack Bates, who operates the Organization for Preservation of Canadian Military Heritage (OPCMH), facilitated the project. He says the idea for the monument itself came from Esquimalt residents Scott Lee and his wife Carol, who is the great-granddaughter of Lt. Col. J.G. Holmes. The Lee family and Bates were onsite when contractors removed the survey stone and carted it away in a flatbed truck in June of 2017.

“This process is helping myself and other family members rediscover our military heritage and someone who played such an important role in the history of Victoria and Canada,” said Carol Lee.

But before they could move forward with converting the survey marker to a monument, Bates says the project first needed to meet approval from the Department of National Defence (DND) and Ross Bay Cemetery. The Lee family also paid for the monument with assistance from Veterans Affairs Canada’s (VAC) non-profit charity, the Last Post Fund.

“Scott really helped push the idea forward to evolve,” said Bates. “To see a conclusion and recognition of a military pioneer and for this monument to finish its journey is very gratifying for me as a military historian.”

Lt. Col. J. G. Holmes was born May 28, 1845, in St. Catharines (Upper Canada). A graduate of Royal Military College, he worked as an adjutant (administrator to a senior officer) of A Battery in Ontario from 1872 until his promotion to the Commander of the Victoria Garrison Artillery known as ‘C Battery’.

“C” Battery, located in Victoria in 1887, was established to shore up coastal defences and protect Victoria and Esquimalt harbours from possible attacks by foreign powers and also to oversee the formation and training of a militia force in the years following Confederation.

The new monument is located on the Holmes family plot at Ross Bay Cemetery and next to a new headstone for Lt. Col. J.G. Holmes and his wife, paid for by funding through Veterans Affairs Canada’s (VAC) non-profit Last Post Fund. Bates says there was no headstone ever found for Lt. Col. Holmes anywhere in Victoria, so this new headstone helps pay proper tribute to Holmes and his wife.

Dalton
Dalton

Back to top Go down

Post by Apollo Thu 07 Feb 2019, 6:46 pm

Orangeville’s Bravery Park project likely to be complete by the fall

February 7, 2019

By Brian Lockhart

The playground has already been installed and if all goes well, Bravery Park in Orangeville should be completed by the fall.

The Park is located on the grounds directly behind the Alder Street Recreation Centre. The project, which began with an idea in 2011, took hold in 2017 when the Bravery Park committee finally received a suitable site to create the park, which is designed to bring awareness to and honour Canadian Military members. Since the site was established, the work has progressed steadily.

“This is not a memorial site,” stressed Bravery Park committee member Shannon McGrady, who said the committee does not want the Park to be confused with or be in competition with the memorial cenotaph located at Alexandra Park behind the Town Hall. “A cenotaph is for Remembrance Day. It’s a sacred space to recognize fallen soldiers.

“Bravery Park is really about opening conversations about currently serving soldiers. The Park is to create awareness for our Canadian soldiers and the roles they play in both Canada and internationally. It is to create that conversation and awareness. So many of our soldiers come home from different tours and close friends don’t even know where they have been. They sacrifice so much. Canadian soldiers are in 25 different countries right now.”

Landscaping of the park will begin in the spring. “We have raised all the funds that we need for the features of the Park,” Ms. McGrady explained. “We have a statue, a memorial stone, a playground, and a storyboard which are interpretive plaques that accompany all of the features to give a background and provide information. The statue has been built and the memorial stone is going to be created soon.”

The base for the memorial stone and statue are currently being made by a local company. Once completed the statue and memorial stone can be installed.

The statue features a Canadian soldier in combat gear with two Afghani children who are giving him a butterfly to reflect the compassion the soldiers are known for.

The memorial stone will recognize all Canadian soldiers including the injured, those with PTSD, and those still serving.

With Canadian military bases spread across the country, the average person, unless they know someone serving, may not have a good understanding of what the military accomplishes.

“Unless you have a personal connection yourself, the average person doesn’t know a lot about our Forces,” Ms. McGrady said.

“Bravery Park is two-fold. It creates awareness to create conversation and inspire that dialogue. Teachers will bring students on class trips to learn out about our Forces. And it’s also to create a tangible space for our Canadian soldiers to know they are supported.”

The Park also brings awareness to lesser known facts like suicide – which has plagued former members of the military after returning from duty in a hostile environment.

“To include youth in the project, we had students at Robert F. Hall (Catholic Secondary School) do an art project. It was a competition to do a piece that will go on the playground. We now have a student who has won the competition and her art will be featured on one of the panels.”

The playground was completed with funding raised by the Amaranth Lions Club who ran a lottery over several years raising $35,000.

The committee also received a monument grant from Veterans Affairs that will pay for the statue which was created by local artist Donna Pascoe and cast in bronze.

There are several other similar parks around the country that have also been designed to honour all members of the military.

Once the park is completed, the committee plans to hold a ceremony to officially open it to the public.

Apollo
Apollo
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackson Fri 22 Mar 2019, 5:18 pm

Veteran "Near Tears" After LAV Vandalism

Published: Friday, 22 March 2019

Monument LAV_Vandalism
Graffiti placed directly next to the plaque on the LAV III memorial

The Airdrie LAV III monument that commemorates fallen Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan located next to the Nose Creek Valley Museum has been vandalized.

Graffiti showing some form of writing has been spray painted on the LAV, right beside the plaque detailing the monument.

President of Airdrie Branch # 288 of the Royal Canadian Legion Bill Drummond says that this act of vandalism is more than just a petty case of mischief.

"We're looking at graffiti spray painting on the north side of the light armoured vehicle. I don't understand what's going on with this. I can't say youth did this, because obviously, they don't know who it was. These cowardly people have no guts. They won't come up to us and stand up to us in our face and tell us what they're thinking, but they can do stupid stuff like this."

Drummond says the LAV was placed there in honour of the 156 soldiers who lost their lives in Afghanistan and thinks the graffiti is an act of disrespect.

"It's disrespectful to any servicemen, as far as I'm concerned. I'm too old to have been in Afghanistan, but I'm a serviceman and I find it diabolical. I think it's disgraceful that people would go to this extent."

The Government of Canada Criminal Code states that anyone who commits mischief on a memorial could be fined at least $1,000 for a first-time offence, imprisonment for no less than 14 days for a second-time offence, and imprisonment for no less than 30 days for a third-time offence.

Drummond says this level of disrespect struck him to his core.

"Being a serviceman myself, I find it almost brings tears to my eyes because people obviously have no respect for people who've died for our freedom and people who've died to make the country the way it is. I just do not understand the mentality of these idiotic people who do stuff like this."

Later today, a group is going to be on the site of the vandalism to clean up the blatant disrespect. Drummond plans to be in attendance.

Update:

A group of volunteers met at the memorial this afternoon. They were successful in cleaning the paint off the memorial.

Monument Update

Jackson
Jackson

Back to top Go down

Post by Garrison Mon 08 Apr 2019, 8:37 am

Jackson wrote:
Veteran "Near Tears" After LAV Vandalism

Published: Friday, 22 March 2019

Monument LAV_Vandalism
Graffiti placed directly next to the plaque on the LAV III memorial

The Airdrie LAV III monument that commemorates fallen Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan located next to the Nose Creek Valley Museum has been vandalized.

Graffiti showing some form of writing has been spray painted on the LAV, right beside the plaque detailing the monument.

President of Airdrie Branch # 288 of the Royal Canadian Legion Bill Drummond says that this act of vandalism is more than just a petty case of mischief.

"We're looking at graffiti spray painting on the north side of the light armoured vehicle. I don't understand what's going on with this. I can't say youth did this, because obviously, they don't know who it was. These cowardly people have no guts. They won't come up to us and stand up to us in our face and tell us what they're thinking, but they can do stupid stuff like this."

Drummond says the LAV was placed there in honour of the 156 soldiers who lost their lives in Afghanistan and thinks the graffiti is an act of disrespect.

"It's disrespectful to any servicemen, as far as I'm concerned. I'm too old to have been in Afghanistan, but I'm a serviceman and I find it diabolical. I think it's disgraceful that people would go to this extent."

The Government of Canada Criminal Code states that anyone who commits mischief on a memorial could be fined at least $1,000 for a first-time offence, imprisonment for no less than 14 days for a second-time offence, and imprisonment for no less than 30 days for a third-time offence.

Drummond says this level of disrespect struck him to his core.

"Being a serviceman myself, I find it almost brings tears to my eyes because people obviously have no respect for people who've died for our freedom and people who've died to make the country the way it is. I just do not understand the mentality of these idiotic people who do stuff like this."

Later today, a group is going to be on the site of the vandalism to clean up the blatant disrespect. Drummond plans to be in attendance.

Update:

A group of volunteers met at the memorial this afternoon. They were successful in cleaning the paint off the memorial.

Monument Update

Vandalized war memorial in Airdrie prompts call for stricter graffiti fines

RYAN RUMBOLT - April 7, 2019

Monument Lav-graffiti-1
The Light Armoured Vehicle (LAV) III Monument in Airdrie was vandalized sometime between during the night of March 21 or early morning hours of March 22, 2019. The act has prompted local politicians to push law makers in Ottawa to increase the fines and penalties for defacing war memorials.

Airdrie politicians are pushing lawmakers to increase penalties for defacing war memorials after a monument to Canadian Armed Forces members who served in Afghanistan was vandalized last month.

In 2016, the Royal Canadian Legion branch in Airdrie unveiled its Light Armoured Vehicle III Monument — a full-sized, demilitarized replica of the armoured transport and fighting vehicle heralded as the envy of coalition forces during the conflict in Afghanistan.

But last month, the memorial was the target of what Mayor Peter Brown described as “pathetic and disgusting” graffiti.

“I can’t imagine anybody desecrating, in particular, war memorials for those who provided us our freedoms … It’s definitely a living monument to both those who’ve served and lost their lives, and were fortunate enough to come home,” Brown said.

The incident led Blake Richards, MP for Banff-Airdrie, to put forward a petition in the House of Commons last week calling for heftier fines against those caught “disrespecting” the “heroism and sacrifice” of veterans through vandalism.

“At the end of the day, I think there does need to be some recognition that this is a different type of vandalism,” Richards said, calling the “cowardly” act a “desecration.”

Under the Criminal Code of Canada, anyone found to have vandalized a war memorial is subject to a minimum $1,000 fine for their first offence, at least 14 days jail time for a second offence and imprisonment for not less than 30 days for each subsequent offence.

In the petition, Richards said the current penalties for defacing a war memorial “lack the severity” to discourage would-be vandals from defacing memorials.

Mounties in Airdrie said the LAV III was vandalized overnight of March 21. They said an unknown number of suspects also spray-painted two signs and an electrical box at the Nose Creek Valley Museum where the LAV resides.

Angela Pitt, seeking re-election in the new Airdrie-East riding, said constituents were “shocked” and “saddened” by the vandalism. She said the graffiti is a reminder there is still more work to be done when it comes to “education and making sure that our younger generations are aware of what has been sacrificed for their freedoms.”

“Change the politics,” Pitt said. “Don’t hate the people that went (to Afghanistan) if that’s the issue, because it wasn’t necessarily their choice. They were just doing the right thing by the country which they serve.”

The petition only had about 100 signatures as of Sunday evening, but Brown said he’s been “overwhelmed with the support from the community” and is confident the issue will resonate with Canadians.

You can view and sign the petition online by visiting www.ourcommons.ca/en.

Mounties in Airdrie are asking anyone with information about the graffiti to contact the detachment by calling 403-945-7200. You can also contact Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.

RRumbolt@postmedia.com

On Twitter: @RCRumbolt

Garrison
Garrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooper Thu 20 Jun 2019, 5:03 pm

NCC gets update on LeBreton, signs off on new site for Afghanistan war monument

JON WILLING June 20, 2019

Monument Flats-w
View of the War Museum and Lebreton Flats area Tuesday (Sept. 18, 2018).

Cooper
Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpha Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:34 am

Monument 17389407_web1_190402-RDA-Canada-Afghanistan-Mission-PIC-1200x857

Monument to Canada’s war in Afghanistan gets a home after years of bickering

THE CANADIAN PRESS / Jun. 20, 2019

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/monument-to-canadas-war-in-afghanistan-gets-a-home-after-years-of-bickering/

Alpha
Alpha
Advocate Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mojave Fri 05 Jul 2019, 5:42 pm

'It's heartbreaking': Veterans Monument in Yellowknife damaged

CBC News · Posted: Jul 05, 2019

Monument Lloyd-lush

Mojave
Mojave

Back to top Go down