Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CPPD at age 65

2 posters

Go down

CPPD at age 65 Empty CPPD at age 65

Post by prawnstar Tue 04 Dec 2018, 2:49 pm

Does anyone know what happens at age 65? I know it gets reduced but I can't find by how much. I'm starting to realize that turning 65 will not be good financially. 90%to 70% what a bunch of crap.

prawnstar

Back to top Go down

CPPD at age 65 Empty Re: CPPD at age 65

Post by Rockarm Tue 04 Dec 2018, 3:28 pm

The way I understand it to be is if your not receiving a cf pension come 65 your CPPD will convert to the regular CPP.

If your collecting a cf pension, and CPPD before age 65 your bridge amount from your pension should already have been ceased.

What is the bridge benefit?

It is a monthly amount payable to Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) annuitants in addition to the normal monthly benefit payable under the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act (CFSA). This additional component exists to ensure a stable retirement income is paid from the time the annuity or annual allowance commences and continues until the annuitant reaches age 65, dies or becomes entitled to a disability pension under the Canada Pension Plan (CPP)/Quebec Pension Plan (QPP).

What happens to the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act pension when the annuitant turns 65?

The bridge benefit ceases being paid at the end of the month following the month of the annuitant's 65th birthday.

Once I reach age 65, do I need to inform someone at the Government of Canada Pension Centre to stop my bridge benefit payments?

No. The system will automatically know when an annuitant reaches age 65. However, in the unlikely event that the bridge benefit does not cease, annuitants are encouraged to contact the Government of Canada Pension Centre as soon as possible to avoid having to pay back pension benefits.

What happens if I start receiving Canada Pension Plan disability benefits? Do I need to let someone know?

If you start receiving a Canada Pension Plan or Quebec Pension Plan (CPP or QPP) disability benefit, your bridge benefit entitlement ceases. You should advise the Government of Canada Pension Centre as soon as possible and provide them with a copy of the CPP form "1808 Notice of Entitlement" or QPP "Notice of Acceptance". These documents are included with your first CPP/QPP disability pension cheque. This minimizes the risk that your bridge benefit will not stop as quickly as the law requires, creating an overpayment of pension, which must be recovered.

Will cessation of the bridge benefit affect the indexing of the pension payable under the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act to a retired Canadian Armed Forces member?

The bridge benefit portion of a retired member's benefits is indexed in the same way and at the same time as the rest of the member's pension. Once the bridge benefit stops, so does the portion of the monthly payment that reflected the indexation of the original bridge benefit amount. The indexation of the remaining portion of the benefit is not affected in any way.

To answer the question of how much your CPPD gets reduced at age 65 I'm going to say that your bridge amount has already ceased because of collecting CPPD so the amount will likely balance itself out. Also your cf pension will be affected once the bridge amount ceases.

If you are receiving a CPP disability benefit when you turn 65, your disability benefit will automatically be converted to a retirement pension. ... Your retirement pension will be less than your disability benefit. However, you may also apply for a pension and benefits under the Old Age Security program.

If you were not receiving CPPD before 65 your annuity from your cf pension will be affected/reduced when you start to receive your CPP because your bridge benefit will cease.
Rockarm
Rockarm
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Wed 05 Dec 2018, 12:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little confused with everything that changes at 65. Yes my CF annuity will not change as the bridging portion has been stopped. Not sure about the rest. I'm not really familiar with new terminology so here is what I have. I get ELB, PIA, PIA supplement and VIP. I understand that the PIA and supplement do not get reduced? Is the 2% per year of ELB at 65 still exist? My old brain has a hard time understanding the ever changing lingo. I guess they figure if we keep changing the names, old becomes new with less $$$. I'm worried about financial security with all this shyte.

prawnstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down