Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indigenous veterans

+33
Colter
Thunder
Stayner
Proctor
Rocko
Saulman
Callvery
Ironman
Accer
Sandman
Stealth
Seawolf
Firefox
Lucifer
Covert
Vmaxocalz
Starman
Silversun
Marshall
Wolfman
Navigator
Replica
Edgefore
Hammercore
Falcon
Charlie
Maverick
kodiak
Lonestar
SniperGod
RevForce
Riverway
Glideon
37 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Indigenous veterans - Page 4 Empty Re: Indigenous veterans

Post by Falcon Mon 08 Nov 2021, 4:43 pm

The history and legacy of Indigenous Veterans Day

Published Monday, November 8, 2021

Falcon
Falcon
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Saulman Mon 08 Nov 2021, 9:26 pm

Saulman
Saulman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocko Wed 10 Nov 2021, 5:09 pm

Rocko
Rocko

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocko Wed 10 Nov 2021, 5:18 pm

Treatment of Indigenous veterans

WATCH: CTV’s Jeff Rogstad speaks to Robert Innes, associate professor at McMaster University about the unfair treatment Indigenous veterans received when they returned to Canada after the Second World War.

Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2021

Rocko
Rocko

Back to top Go down

Post by Proctor Tue 08 Nov 2022, 11:47 am

'Heroism and dedication': Manitoba marks Indigenous Veterans Day

Published Nov. 8, 2022

Indigenous veterans - Page 4 Honouring-indigenous-veterans-1-4676935-1636378649306

Proctor
Proctor
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Stayner Sat 26 Aug 2023, 4:39 pm

N.B. filmmakers premiere documentary on experiences of Indigenous veterans of 20th century wars

Vanessa Moreau · CBC News · Posted: Aug 26, 2023

Indigenous veterans - Page 4 Kawacatoose-saskatchewan-ceremony

Stayner
Stayner

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Thu 31 Aug 2023, 11:16 am

Indigenous veterans - Page 4 2741858880 Veterans Affairs Canada Facebook Aug 31, 2023

Indigenous Veterans are benefitting from Veteran and Family Well-being Fund projects that prioritize community building, and increased access to social support.

With the help of this fund, local and national groups are working to improve services and communications for Indigenous Veterans, developed culturally relevant programming, and conducted research on what supports are required to meet their needs.

Here is how the Assembly of First Nations (a 2021-22 VFWF recipient) is helping Veterans: https://bit.ly/3r8Pblq

Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Thunder
Thunder

Back to top Go down

Post by Colter Sun 05 Nov 2023, 7:01 am

Kahnawake veterans honour fallen community members ahead of Rememberance Day

Stephane Giroux . Published Nov. 5, 2023

Colter
Colter
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Scout Tue 07 Nov 2023, 11:23 am

Indigenous soldiers determined to carry on family legacies

Jamin Mike . Published Nov. 7, 2023

Indigenous Peoples have been part of Canada's military history dating back to the War of 1812, when it's estimated more than 10,000 First Nations people fought. More than 7,000 Indigenous people later served in the First and Second World Wars and the Korean War. Many continue to serve today.

Wednesday is National Aboriginal Veterans Day, which was first observed in Winnipeg in 1994.

The Canadian Press spoke with three Indigenous soldiers about why they enlisted:

Wendy Jocko, 63, from Pikwakanagan First Nation in Ontario

Jocko hails from generations of Canadian soldiers. The first was Constant Pinesi, an influential grand chief of the Algonquins, who fought with the British during the War of 1812.

“It has been said that if it wasn't for Indigenous warriors, Canada might not be Canada, because they were quite skilful in their tactics,” says Jocko.

Four of her uncles served in the First World War, but only two came home. Her father and his six brothers fought in the Second World War.

Jocko calls herself a “war baby.” While in Europe, her father met her mother, a Scottish soldier.

She says she wanted to join the military since she was four and did so when she was 19.

Being a woman at the time wasn't advantageous, she says. “There was a bit of prejudice happening there.”

“The hardship I experienced as a child put me in a good place for life in the field, in the military.”

She was a supply technician for 23 years and served in NATO peacekeeping missions in Bosnia in 1993 and 1998. The devastation and human misery were sad to witness, she says.

Jocko rose to sergeant and retired in 2002. In 2020, she became chief of Pikwakanagan.

She encouraged her son, James McMullin, to join the military as well. He later left the military and died last month at the age of 38.

Jocko says she has chosen to have him laid to rest on National Aboriginal Veterans Day at Pikwanagan.

Chuck Issacs, 59, Metis from St. Albert, Alta.

Isaacs says his maternal grandfather served as an engineer during the Second World War. He didn't speak much about the war but had a room at home full of guns.

“From five-years old, when we would visit my grandparents, we would go outside. Me and my two brothers would be given a box of ammunition and direction on what to do.”

Isaacs paternal grandfather was an armoured officer in the Second World War and also didn't talk about his time in battle.

“As I grew up, I realized that many of the people I was surrounded by were either veterans of the Second World War or veterans of Korea.”

Issacs says he saw the financial stability military officers had, which drew him into the military.

“There were other Indigenous Peoples there with me, not that we acknowledged that or talked about it. But there were a lot more people with a like sense of humour that I had grown up with.”

It was like being introduced to a bunch of brothers and sisters, he says.

In 1992, Issacs was deployed as a combat engineer to the former Yugoslavia. He established friendships with locals and retrieved intelligence information. He also “cleared mines and ordinates and tried to make the country safe.”

Issacs left the military in 2001 and ran a promotional products company.

He now helps young Indigenous people wanting to get involved in the military and is the president of the Aboriginal Veterans Society of Alberta.

For the last four years, he's been recruiting for the Bold Eagle program, which combines Indigenous culture and teachings with military training.

Pte. Carter Eyahpaise, 21, from Beardy's and Okemasis' Cree Nation, Sask.

Eyahpaise says he's proud to be a Willow Cree soldier raised at Beardy's and Okemasis' Cree Nation near Prince Albert, Sask.

He recently graduated from the Bold Eagle program in Alberta and loved it so much that he decided to join the North Saskatchewan Regiment of the Forces near his home reserve.

Eyahpaise says he was inspired by his great-grandfather Stanley Eyahpaise of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada in Winnipeg. He was killed in France during the Second World War.

“I wanted to be great like he was. He was part of Juno Beach in the second wave,” says the younger Eyahpaise.

Wearing a uniform was a big dream growing up, he adds.

“And I was always into video games like ”Call of Duty,“ ”Medal of Honor,“ and all of that stuff.”

Eyahpaise says his family is proud of him for enlisting, but it worries his mother.

He says he wants to work his way up the ranks to become a captain someday.

“I really wanted to be a part of something.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 7, 2023.

Scout
Scout

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoneforce Tue 07 Nov 2023, 5:12 pm

Honoring Indigenous veterans with traditional art

Nov 07, 2023

Joyce Hunter is a traditional artisan from Weenusk First Nation who is making beaded poppies for Indigenous Veterans Day. The CBC's Marc Doucette met up with her to learn more about what the day means to her and her people.

Zoneforce
Zoneforce
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolverine Wed 08 Nov 2023, 11:55 am

The importance of Indigenous Veterans Day

Veteran Bill Shead discusses the importance of Indigenous Veterans Day, and gives details on a service at the Neeginan Centre.

Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2023

Wolverine
Wolverine

Back to top Go down

Post by Slider Wed 08 Nov 2023, 4:49 pm

Slider
Slider
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Slider Wed 08 Nov 2023, 5:25 pm