Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Art Anderson

Go down

Art Anderson Empty Art Anderson

Post by Lux4795 Mon 12 Jul 2021, 4:42 pm

WWII air force vet, Art Anderson, dies at 102

Published Monday, July 12, 2021

Art Anderson Image
WWII vet, Art Anderson dies at 102

WINDSOR, ONT. -- A second world war air force veteran who devoted almost four decades to the sales of poppies locally has passed away

Art Anderson died on Friday at the age of 102.

According to his obituary, Arthur was a flight navigator during WWII, becoming a P.O.W. with his crewmates after their plane was shot down.

“We were just doing our job,” said Anderson in a 2016 interview with CTV Windsor. “We never felt we were heros.”

After the war, he entered the newspaper business where he worked for 26 years in both the Windsor and Detroit markets.

Anderson held several community roles during his retirement including Chairman of the Windsor Poppy Fund and was still active distributing poppies at the age of 99.

“When I see the poppies that people wear, it makes me stop and it makes me proud,” he added.

"To say that Art was an amazing man is an understatement. He encompassed so many values -- strength of character, discipline, humility, and loyalty," says veterans advocate, Andrea Grimes. "A true legacy to duty and service, who had the privilege to serve, as all Veterans who gave up a piece of individuality to become a part of something larger than themselves.

If desired, memorial donations made to First Lutheran Church or to the Windsor Poppy Fund would be appreciated by the family.

Visitation (by appointment) will take place at the Anderson Funeral Home & Cremation Centre, 895 Ouellette Avenue on Monday from 5 p.m. until the W.V.M.S.C. service at 7:30 p.m.

Visitation will continue at First Lutheran Church, 160 Giles Blvd. West on Tuesday, July 13, 2021 from 12 noon until the funeral service at 1 p.m. Interment to follow at Victoria Memorial Gardens.

Lux4795
Lux4795

Back to top Go down