Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There is a hero in my house.....

3 posters

Go down

There is a hero in my house..... Empty There is a hero in my house.....

Post by Dameon Mon 11 Dec 2017, 11:20 pm

But I've never met him. For 8 years I have been toting this zip lock bag around from house to house. In it there is a piece of fabric wrapped around a memory. It's where I placed my medals, my last epaulet, name tag, special coins, dog tags, a Canada flag shoulder patch, my cap badge and a poppy. It is the only memorabilia I kept from my 21 years of service. I had always wanted to make a nice shadow box for them. Mount them up, and display them in my home. We'll, after all this time, I finally got around to it. It's gorgeous. Nice clear coated red oak. But I don't know if I can leave it up. See, the problem is that when I look at it I see something that represents the life of a hero. But I also see the forgotten memory of a man that no one will ever know about. They will never know his sacrifices. They will never know his pain. And although he had a part in their lives, they will never know what it was, or even that it happened. I feel sad for that forgotten soul while realizing at the same time it is my own. My emotional connection to that lost life is almost more than I can bear. I want to find pride in that little box and it's contents, but all it represents to me is pain and loss.

My wife offered to take it down, but I said no. For as painful as it is to me, I couldn't bear to see his life tossed in a box somewhere in storage.

Dameon

Back to top Go down

There is a hero in my house..... Empty Re: There is a hero in my house.....

Post by JAFO Tue 12 Dec 2017, 12:11 am

You are right to leave it up. It will grow on you and the pride in the box will blend in with the sacrifices.

The loss, pain and sacrifice will never disappear but it will no longer be in the front....it will take a back seat to the pride that will come back....and it will come back.
JAFO
JAFO

Back to top Go down

Post by Dameon Tue 12 Dec 2017, 9:03 am

Thanks Jafo, I hope your right.

Dameon

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Fri 23 Feb 2018, 5:48 am

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/student-resource-officer-resigns-parkland-shooting_us_5a8f46a2e4b01e9e56b9d8f9

Reading this makes me wonder how many of our brave men and women would put themselves in harms way, now knowing we are not worth much to a wealthy politician.

Risk life and limb for what? Chump change and life long mental torcher at the hands of DND, VAC and now the GOC.....
oh, PFL!  
P.s
Luckily for Canada, we stand on guard for each other (now).
And in all of our SON's command. (My children's school hasn't  changed up their National Anthem, BZ)

Democracy and photo boy, this isn't what Canada is about.....
He's just not ready (the budget will balance itself)!

Help your veterans!
Stop parading around Mutt and Jeff!
Vets are not buying the BS.
Better head back to the drawing board.
Canada's veterans are now achieving communication superiority amongst each other; through social media.
The loop is getting smaller and smaller and we will hold those whom betrayed the veteran's community accountable, by exposing the GAPS and ongoing selling of the PFL.

We/I do not want a failed GOC, but a GOC that is accountable and truthful, but right now, "it looks more like the insides of a garbage truck."

Last edited by Dannypaj on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 9:06 am; edited 3 times in total
Dannypaj
Dannypaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj Fri 23 Feb 2018, 6:05 am

Dameon wrote:But I've never met him. For 8 years I have been toting this zip lock bag around from house to house. In it there is a piece of fabric wrapped around a memory. It's where I placed my medals, my last epaulet, name tag, special coins, dog tags, a Canada flag shoulder patch, my cap badge and a poppy. It is the only memorabilia I kept from my 21 years of service. I had always wanted to make a nice shadow box for them. Mount them up, and display them in my home. We'll, after all this time, I finally got around to it. It's gorgeous. Nice clear coated red oak. But I don't know if I can leave it up. See, the problem is that when I look at it I see something that represents the life of a hero. But I also see the forgotten memory of a man that no one will ever know about. They will never know his sacrifices. They will never know his pain. And although he had a part in their lives, they will never know what it was, or even that it happened. I feel sad for that forgotten soul while realizing at the same time it is my own. My emotional connection to that lost life is almost more than I can bear. I want to find pride in that little box and it's contents, but all it represents to me is pain and loss.

My wife offered to take it down, but I said no. For as painful as it is to me, I couldn't bear to see his life tossed in a box somewhere in storage.

And if you run in the face of danger?
READ ABOVE POST!

Either way....
Damned if you do, Dammed if you don't
Dannypaj
Dannypaj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down