Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trudeau short on leadership again

2 posters

Go down

Trudeau short on leadership again Empty Trudeau short on leadership again

Post by Accer Thu 08 Feb 2018, 3:07 pm

By Josh Aldrich, Camrose Canadian

Thursday, February 8, 2018

Trudeau short on leadership again 1298007887673_ORIGINAL

There are things as a political leader you just do not say, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau found that out last week.

In perhaps the biggest example, not just the most recent, of the PM being pushed into power before he was really ready for the responsibility, he blamed the poverty of those who risked everything on the orders of the highest office in Canada on the veterans themselves.

By now you have likely heard or seen Trudeau's comments last Thursday at a town hall meeting at MacEwan University in Edmonton. He was asked by a veteran about promises Trudeau and his party made in the last election regarding pension and supports for disabled soldiers.

"Why are we still fighting certain veterans groups in court? Because they're asking for more than we are able to give right now," said Trudeau.

The veteran he was answering had reportedly lost a leg to an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan. In that war alone, there were 158 Canadians who lost their lives while more than 2,000 were also wounded in battle. That does not even take into consideration the scores who have struggled to reintegrate into society since then or suffer from post traumatic stress disorder. For them the sacrifices are even more difficult to calculate. One window into that is the widely reported number of homeless veterans in Canada hovering at about 770 this past Remembrance Day.

We have to remember, our disabled veterans go beyond Afghanistan. There have been many peace keeping missions and other major conflicts like the Korean War and the Second World War with veterans who fought in those still alive.

As far as public speaking blunders by a Canadian politician, it has to rank up there with former Parti Quebequois leader Jacques Parizeau blaming the lost 1995 Quebec referendum on money and the ethnic vote. That speech all but killed Parizeau's political career.

To me, this feels worse, especially coming from someone who has led such a privileged and entitled life as Trudeau while he buries the country in debt, and has spent without caution on pet projects, like $200,000 to design the cover for the budget document or $8 million on a temporary outdoor arena on Parliament Hill.

The Tories are no angels on this subject matter either, although they were never quite so publicly belligerent about their view of veterans. There is a reason veterans widely pooled their support behind the Liberals in the 2015 election. There was the promise that they would reinstate lifetime pensions for disabled veterans. What they did reinstitute was a shallow shell of the former program scrapped in 2006 by the Conservatives in favour of a lump-sum payout with career training and other supports.

That level of betrayal is a big reason a group of Canadian veterans took their lawsuit against the Canadian government to the Supreme Court of Canada at the end of January.

Trudeau's lack of leadership should have stopped being a surprise a long time ago. I will not pick the low hanging fruit of his umming and ahing through any spoken moment where he does not have a prepared statement in front of him. Or his penchant for selfies, as I have never met a mayor, MP or MLA that wouldn't do a handstand in a photo-op if asked. Conservative Party leader Andrew Scheer is also doing his best to catch up his social media profile with Trudeau's.

But what continues to erode any hope of actual leadership from the PM's office are things like his ethics violations scandal, the fact some of his best friends are dictators of nations with shameful human rights records, and he has shown little to no ability to actually relate to anyone over 25 years old. He has flip-flopped repeatedly on pipelines – it all seemingly depends on which part of the country he is speaking in – and has reneged completely on major platform promises like the ones he made to the veterans, to actively investigate the missing and murdered Indigenous women file, and to keep annual deficits to $10 billion a year before eventually balancing the budget.

Remember all of his talk about electoral reform? This past week he also said he would now only pursue it if pushed by other parties and that proportional representation in fact "would be harmful to Canada."

He is pushing through the legalization of cannabis, but then he is also putting much of the responsibility of enforcement and implementation on the provinces and municipalities.

A leader is someone who takes responsibility for their decisions and actions, they do not cower, make excuses and toss those left in their wake on the burning pile.

The question for Trudeau is when will he actually learn from these lessons he is seemingly given on a weekly basis?

http://www.camrosecanadian.com/2018/02/08/trudeau-short-on-leadership-again
Accer
Accer
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Trudeau short on leadership again Empty Re: Trudeau short on leadership again

Post by Trooper Thu 08 Feb 2018, 7:59 pm

Right in the centre - Justin should be ashamed of himself

Published on Thursday, February 8, 2018

Ken Waddell

Neepawa Banner & Press

I am certainly no fan of our present prime minister Justin Trudeau and for a number of reasons. However, no matter what my opinion of Trudeau’s style and policies may be, nothing he has ever said, done or not done comes close to his callous answer to a wounded Canadian veteran. In a town hall meeting, a Canadian wounded war veteran who lost one leg and part of his other leg asked the PM a question. He basically said that he signed up knowing he might be wounded or that he might be killed. What he didn’t sign up for was to be mistreated by his own government. He asked why the government was fighting veterans’ request for compensation.

Trudeau’s answer was one of the most crass and ignorant answers I have ever heard from a politician. Now understand I have been listening to politicians for nearly 60 years but this statement takes the prize as the most ignorant I have ever heard. Trudeau said the reason they are fighting some veterans groups is because the vets are asking for more than the government can afford to give them at this time.

Wow! That is unbelievable but it came straight from the PM’s own mouth. Trudeau is the guy who paid $10 million to a terrorist and is planning to pay others large settlements. This is a prime minster that fiddles and diddles with funds from rich friends and the Trudeau foundation. This is the PM who pays millions to Bombardier and other corporations. This is the PM who says we should bring back ISIS terrorists into Canada and rehab them so they will be nice to us when they come home. His crass answer is almost unfathomable. Maybe Trudeau is speaking to some kind of liberal-minded core vote that doesn’t like the military when he put down this unfortunate veteran. Don’t know, but his answer made no sense and totally lacked empathy.

That we have vets, in pain and suffering losses that no ordinary person could bear, is a shame on our country and a bigger shame on our government. No suffering vet should be denied help. I come from a long line of veterans, my father, my grandfather, all my uncles and my oldest brother. None were physically wounded. Only my brother suffered obvious PTSD symptoms. They got a bit of pension and after their service carried on with their lives. Many of our modern day veterans have been wounded and suffer from PTSD effects. They should not be denied help. What the PM has said should cause all Canadians to be very angry by the neglect of vets on one hand and the disdainful spending in shameful ways that seem to be common with Trudeau.

I doubt that the vets will get either help or an apology but they should.

Time for our PM to smarten up. Justin should be ashamed of himself.

http://www.mywestman.ca/opinion/7550-right-in-the-centre-justin-should-be-ashamed-of-himself
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

https://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down