Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12 years is worthy of a military service medal

3 posters

Go down

12 years is worthy of a military service medal Empty 12 years is worthy of a military service medal

Post by Wolfman Thu 15 Feb 2018, 5:53 pm

12 years is worthy of a military service medal Guelph_logo

OPINION Guelph Mercury Feb 15, 2018

Both the current Liberal government and previously the Conservative government have balked, no, outright refused, to award Canada's Veterans a "volunteer medal," for those who served in Canada's military for up to 12 years, and this issue has recently started heating up again, when an e-petition has again been collecting thousands upon thousands of signatures.

And, just as bad, if not worse, a special Committee of the Dominion Command of the Royal Canadian Legion has nixed a democratic vote by it's members urging the Dominion Command's President to support the issuance of a "Volunteer medal" with the government.

Folks who worked at Tim Hortons inside the compound in Kandahar, Afghanistan, are awarded a medal, but not Canada's Veterans. Shame on the government!

Volunteer medals were awarded to Canada's military for volunteering in the Second World War and the Korean War. This practice has stopped.

A "Canada Military Decoration," or "CD," is awarded to Canada's Military after 12 years of loyal service, and a bar on the ribbon for every 10 additional years. This is more or less a "good conduct medal." Other medals are awarded for service outside of the country.

Those who volunteered and were in Canada's military for up to 12 years but never went overseas have no medal to show for their 'volunteerism.' Other Commonwealth countries do issue volunteer medals.

I wonder what these Veterans feel like, when on Remembrance Day, they stand there without a medal to show for their volunteerism beside an individual who worked for Tim Hortons inside the compound in Afghanistan proudly sporting an "Afghanistan medal?"

Jacques De Winter

Rockwood

https://www.guelphmercury.com/opinion-story/8137532-12-years-is-worthy-of-a-military-service-medal/
Wolfman
Wolfman
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

12 years is worthy of a military service medal Empty Re: 12 years is worthy of a military service medal

Post by Nemo Sat 17 Feb 2018, 12:48 am

I don't think civvies should get the same.medals military do. Sorry...but Tim Horton workers don't have to be fit like mil pers nor do they undergo the same training military does. I know a couple of civvies who have the same medals mil pers have for places like Afghanistan. Mil pers would never be allowed to deploy in the condition these people are.

Nemo

Back to top Go down

12 years is worthy of a military service medal Empty Re: 12 years is worthy of a military service medal

Post by Trooper Sat 17 Feb 2018, 10:07 am

Nemo wrote:I don't think civvies should get the same.medals military do. Sorry...but Tim Horton workers don't have to be fit like mil pers nor do they undergo the same training military does. I know a couple of civvies who have the same medals mil pers  have for places like Afghanistan. Mil pers would never be allowed to deploy in the condition these people are.

12 years is worthy of a military service medal Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSzo5kbNjchcqkivNU61G3A5GjyzQdV98XXDVXvOBAsCgEDoIn2Q
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

https://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo Sat 17 Feb 2018, 10:24 am

And I would also like to see the CD award revamped. Always kind of pissdd me off that I had to do 12 years full time to get it but reserves get it by putting in a significantly reduced amount of time.

Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down