Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Art helps former soldier overcome horrors of Yugoslav wars

Go down

Art helps former soldier overcome horrors of Yugoslav wars Empty Art helps former soldier overcome horrors of Yugoslav wars

Post by Ravenson Mon 12 Mar 2018, 2:20 pm

Robert Bradley's exhibition V is for Veteran showcases 'painful' realities of war
CBC News Posted: Mar 12, 2018 4:00 AM ET Last Updated: Mar 12, 2018 11:28 AM ET

Art helps former soldier overcome horrors of Yugoslav wars Robert-bradley-oil-painting
Veteran Robert Bradley's favourite oil painting is of a village wher all the buildings are damaged by shrapnel or bullets. It shows the level of destruction people had to live through during the wars in former Yugoslavia in the 1990s, Bradley said. (Robert Bradley)

In October 1998, Robert Bradley held a dying man in Bosnia with one hand and a radio in the other, begging a military operations centre to airlift him to a hospital.

No help came because the dying man was a civilian. With no other option, Bradley drove him to the nearest hospital, 40 minutes away, where he eventually died.

To cope with the painful remembrance almost 20 years later, the former soldier has entombed the memory inside a sculpture, now one of 14 artworks on display at the Fritzi Gallery in Ottawa.

"The top half of the sculpture, that is me. I have no mouth, so I cannot speak, I'm holding a radio [in] my left hand and I'm holding my face on the right with my eyes closed," he told CBC Radio's All in a Day​.

"The whole process has been very hard [and] emotional."

Painting away the pain
Bradley, 51, pursued art therapy after he was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder in May 2012. After 28 years of military service, he's a now a student at the Ottawa School of Art.

'It was a great distraction from my reality, when I paint and sculpt.'
- Robert Bradley, veteran

His exhibition, called V is for Veteran, showcases his experience as a soldier and the realities of war through sculptures, paintings and prints.

"It was a great distraction from my reality, when I paint and sculpt," Bradley said. "I kind of focus on what I'm doing. I'm not stressed about anything else; I'm just in a really nice place and producing something that expresses what I feel."

Art helps former soldier overcome horrors of Yugoslav wars Robert-bradley-painting
Bradley pursued art therapy to cope with the painful memories of war. He is now an art student at the Ottawa School of Art. This painting is one of 14 artworks displayed at the Fritzi Gallery in Ottawa. (Robert Bradley)

Bradley was sent on several missions around the world, and his most painful memories are of the wars in former Yugoslavia during the 1990s. Each of his sculptures at the Fritzi Gallery provide a snapshot of that period in his life.

Next to many of the art pieces, Bradley, who grew up in Newfoundland, has included journal excerpts detailing the memories that inspired them. Many of the descriptions are of destruction and darkness.

Memories of war
Bradley's sculptures incorporate the realities of war in a physical sense, too. Several encase pieces of jagged shrapnel he collected on beaches in Germany where he was once based.

"I use real shrapnel to show the reality of war through its jaggedly sharp steel intended to violently tear its targets apart," he wrote next to one of his marble sculptures. "From past to recent conflicts, it's the shrapnel projectile that has maintained its presence."

Art helps former soldier overcome horrors of Yugoslav wars Robert-bradley-sculpture
This sculpture is another one Bradley's artworks currently on display. (Robert Bradley)

Bradley said he wanted to do something different for the exhibition, rather than create "just another sculpture of a soldier."

His favourite painting is of a village depicting a crisp blue sky and subtle odes to war — broken lights and holes inside the walls of buildings and homes.

"It shows the level of destruction and what people had to live in in their daily lives," Bradley said.

"There was not a house that was not touched by shrapnel or bullets, and the beauty of the town was destroyed. But there is also a beauty and a rawness in what was remaining as well."

V is for Veteran runs at the Fritzi Gallery until April 22.

Art helps former soldier overcome horrors of Yugoslav wars Robert-bradley
Bradley's favourite sculpture is called 'Untitled.' Made using translucent white alabaster and shrapnel, the sculpture represents one of his most painful memories of trying to rescue a local citizen in Bosnia. (Robert Bradley )

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/veteran-art-therapy-ptsd-1.4571503
Ravenson
Ravenson

Back to top Go down