Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Service Dogs

+49
Forcell
Firefox
Mercury
Colter
Rekert
Monsfool
Apollo
Powergunner
Lux4795
Jeremiah
Spider
RanMerison
Reckersam
Rocko
Starman
Dragonforce
Ravenson
Stargunner
Stealth
Covert
RunningLight
Zoneforce
Rockarm
Gridlock
Lucifer
SniperGod
Terrarium
Scorpion
Zapper
Caliber
Phrampton
Stanleyz
Slider
Xrayxservice
kodiak
Lonestar
Seawolf
Thunder
Ironman
Hammercore
Tazzer
RevForce
Cypher
Navigator
Silveray
Cooper
Maxstar
Jumper
Enforcer
53 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Service Dogs Empty Service Dogs

Post by Enforcer Wed 13 Jun 2018, 2:47 pm

Service dog users law comes into effect June 27

The rights of service dog users to live, shop, commute and access the same places and services as other Nova Scotians will be protected when legislation comes into effect on June 27.

By: HalifaxToday Staff
June 13, 2018

Service Dogs Service-dog-2-communications-ns

Enforcer
Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Service Dogs Empty Re: Service Dogs

Post by Enforcer Wed 13 Jun 2018, 2:55 pm

Enforcer
Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jumper Tue 18 Sep 2018, 9:15 pm

Veterans denied service dogs despite gov’t report showing ‘significant’ reduction in PTSD

By Brian Hill and Mercedes Stephenson Global News
September 18, 2018

Seamus O’Regan, the minister of veteran affairs, could not comment on the report when questioned by Global News, saying he hadn’t read it yet.

“I’m going to go read it now,” O’Regan said Tuesday on Parliament Hill. “As soon as I’ve read it, we will come back as quickly as possible,” he said.

Jumper
Jumper

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxstar Wed 19 Sep 2018, 5:22 pm

PM Justin Trudeau won’t say when veterans can expect full-funding for service dogs

September 19 2018

Maxstar
Maxstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cooper Wed 19 Sep 2018, 6:47 pm

Letter: Veterans deserve better treatment

Sep. 19, 2018

Service Dogs 13614977_web1_letters-editor

I am appalled to hear about the way we treat our veterans.

Today on the news shows another disservice to these heroes, by denying funding for service dogs. The Federal government shells out millions of dollars in foreign aid, immigration and many other causes, including costly WW1 memorial services and monuments. Agreed, these matters require attention and honouring the dead is important. But not at the expense of living veterans.

Our veterans have defended and served our great country with loss of life, limbs and physiological strength and suicides. These people should take priority over anything else! Over the past few years all I’ve seen is a disgraceful attitude towards our military.

When Julian Fantino was in charge of the Veteran’s Affairs, all he did was argue with these people. Handing back some $1.1 billion of unused money. He had no right to do this, but unfortunately this situation has not been corrected. Veteran’s offices were closed all over the country, I believe some have re-opened? The way we have treated our service personnel is disgraceful! Without question, they should be given top priority. I suggest the Federal government talk to them and pay attention to their plight. All of Canada owe these people a great debt. Not leaving them begging for some services they require for basic living; some are homeless, destitute, scrounging in food banks. I know lots of other needs to other people require acknowledgement, but it is up to the government to understand Canadian Veteran Affairs far better than it does. We need to show these veterans how much we appreciate what they have done and are still doing on our behalf. I trust that you all, like me will be writing and making contact with the Federal government on behalf of our treasured veterans.

Paul Collins

Langford

Cooper
Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Silveray Fri 21 Sep 2018, 2:43 pm

Roy Green: Dogs are born to be our best friends, so let them be just that

September 21, 2018

Silveray
Silveray

Back to top Go down

Service Dogs Empty Service Dogs

Post by Navigator Sun 23 Sep 2018, 4:41 pm

PTSD service dog kicked out of Corner Brook mall made honorary member by local legion

Veteran Mike Rude and service dog Spark were asked to leave Valley Mall last November by security

Geoff Bartlett · CBC News · Posted: Jan 28, 2018

Service Dogs Mike-rude-and-ptsd-service-dog-spark

The Royal Canadian Legion in Corner Brook just welcomed a four-legged member as a way to educate people on post-traumatic stress disorder service dogs.

The legion welcomed Spark, a service dog for military veteran Mike Rude, as an honorary member last weekend in a special ceremony.

The two made headlines in November when they were kicked out of the Valley Mall in Corner Brook after security guards questioned Rude — who suffers from PTSD — about Spark's validity as a service dog.

That story got the attention of Greg Schroh of the Corner Brook legion, who thought the incident spoke to the larger issue of people being less welcoming of service dogs for sufferers of PTSD compared with people who faced other ailments.

"I was actually infuriated over the situation and I told Mike at one point in time that if I was there, I would have totally lost it," Schroh told CBC's Corner Brook Morning Show.

"I just kept thinking of what he was going through. I know Spark was always welcome at the legion, but I thought it was time to make a precedent out of this."

Rude said when Schroh came to him asking if he would be OK with Spark becoming a member, he immediately agreed.

He's also hopeful that Spark's membership will educate people that PTSD service dogs are just as legitimate as any other kind of service animal.

"I can't explain how much it means to me and I would almost say it's the biggest single act of kindness that I've had," Rude said.

"It's more of a symbolic gesture doing this. It really tells me and my dog that this is like home. I'm welcome here and will never be kicked out or trod upon, that I truly do belong here with my dog."

Legion members in Corner Brook are ecstatic about Spark's membership, Schroh said, and they all recognize the key role the dog plays in calming Rude down and helping him when he's anxious or dealing with the effects of PTSD.

Rude said Spark helps him in a variety of ways, from keeping him active and giving him a reason to get up and out the door every day, to being close when he needs support during a challenging moment.

"The biggest thing is that I'm never alone anymore. She'll always be there with me. She'll listen to me rant and rave sometimes and she'll come up next to me when I'm upset," he said.

While giving Spark an honorary membership is mostly symbolic — she doesn't get a special commemorative food bowl or anything of that sort — Schroh said the dog will always be welcomed and pampered when she's with her friends at the legion.

"She'll get some good treats, I guess." he laughed
"But to see Mike smile and to see him relax — that's the biggest perk right there."

With files from Corner Brook Morning Show

Navigator
Navigator
Advocate Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cypher Wed 17 Oct 2018, 7:26 pm

GoFundMe launched for Trenton military service dog’s surgery

October 17, 2018

Service Dogs Herc

Cypher
Cypher

Back to top Go down

Post by RevForce Wed 07 Nov 2018, 8:26 pm

Service dog helps Port Alberni veteran deal with PTSD symptoms

SUSIE QUINN / Nov. 7, 2018

Service Dogs 14227494_web1_Remem-ShaunStandley-07nov18-640x512@2x

RevForce
RevForce

Back to top Go down

Post by Seawolf Fri 09 Nov 2018, 9:04 pm

Psychiatric service dog 'saved my life,' veteran says

CTV Vancouver
Published Friday, November 9, 2018

Service Dogs Image

Seawolf
Seawolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tazzer Sat 10 Nov 2018, 7:00 pm

Charity calls on government to help fund training of PTSD service dogs for veterans

CTVNews.ca Staff

Published Saturday, November 10, 2018

Tazzer
Tazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammercore Fri 23 Nov 2018, 8:58 pm

Hammercore
Hammercore
News Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironman Tue 27 Nov 2018, 6:38 pm

Dog breeder assisting those with PTSD

POSTMEDIA NEWS November 27, 2018

Service Dogs 1127-news-ptsd-dog-cdn

Ironman
Ironman

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Mon 11 Feb 2019, 4:33 pm

February 11, 2019

Former N.B. deputy chief coroner launches PTSD service dog mentoring program

By Shelley Steeves
Senior Correspondent Global News

Service Dogs Cap
Members of the Canine Assistance Program in Fredericton.

New Brunswick’s former deputy chief coroner has a new calling in life.

Brian Brown is helping people suffering from PTSD train their own pets to become service dogs through a program he developed called the Canine Assistance Program.

“I knew that a service dog was the thing that helped me. I had been a prisoner in my own home for a couple of years and when I found River, we were matched together, and I was able to go out and do things that I hadn’t before,” he said.

Brown says he had been suffering from debilitating symptoms of PTSD since 2015, when he left his job on medical leave. Seeing how his service dog changed his life, he set out to help others who might be suffering in silence.

Though his mentoring program, Brown is helping comrades who also suffer from PTSD train their own pets to become service dogs. Many of the people in his program are retired veterans suffering from PTSD, who had been waiting for years to get a dog through a formal organization.

“The wait list is three or four years long. In the meantime, we are losing members and civilians due to wait lists,” he said.

In Canada, the law allows for people to self-train their own service dogs. But Brown says it takes a dog with a certain kind of temperament to qualify.

“We might have dogs that are not well suited and so we wanted to ensure that we had some guidance,” he said.

That is why Brown is acting as a mentor and is being guided by the teachings of a master trainer from Nova Scotia.

WATCH: Alberta man takes his dog on cross Canada journey to raise PTSD awareness

He hopes to one day becomes a master trainer himself and that a national set of standards and a national certification process will be developed for people training their own pets.

Allan Marsh is a retired army veteran who also suffers from PTSD. He believes that his dog, Hank, has just the right temperament for the job.

“I had an anxiety attack and he was just all over me, picking up on every one of my indications,” Marsh said.

Brown says the dogs are being trained to use affection as a distraction.

“So they smell the anxiety that we emit when we are anxious.” said Brown.

“It is hard to be angry and frustrated when you’ve got a dog licking your face and they want hugs and kisses.”

Since New Brunswick doesn’t require service dog certification, Brown says the roughly 20 dogs in his group will eventually be certified in Nova Scotia where it became law about a year ago.

WATCH: Canadian veteran explains the benefits of a service dog

Brown points out that this group is not just about dog training. Ongoing support for people suffering from PTSD is key to the program’s success.

“The real magic of the program is the peer support,” he said.

Thunder
Thunder

Back to top Go down

Post by Seawolf Sun 17 Feb 2019, 8:57 am

Service Dog Pilot Study Results

Service Dogs Service-dogs

For more information on the Service Dog Pilot Study, visit: https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/help/faq/service-dog-pilot-study
Seawolf
Seawolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next