Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SDA Effect on Veteran's Affairs Processes

2 posters

Go down

SDA Effect on Veteran's Affairs Processes Empty SDA Effect on Veteran's Affairs Processes

Post by Dameon Sat 14 Oct 2017, 11:39 am

I have read all of the documentation. But I hear rumors from fellow vets about individuals getting special treatment because their injury happened in an Special Duty Area (SDA).

One particular individual had a back injury in Afghanistan. He received a 100% disability award and is deem DEC, with all the trimmings, and yet he is fully functional after rehabilitation. In fact, he is far more physically capable than I am.

In another instance, a friend told me that two people with the same disability, will be treated very differently by VAC if only one of them was injured in a SDA.

I know that the health coverage is very different. SDA injured vets qualifying for Group B coverage with the VIP service. But has anyone heard any other rumors about preferential treatment.

Dameon

Back to top Go down

SDA Effect on Veteran's Affairs Processes Empty Re: SDA Effect on Veteran's Affairs Processes

Post by Nemo Sat 14 Oct 2017, 9:03 pm

I was covered under SDA but I only had class A coverage and no VIP service until recently when someone called me from VAC.

But yes, our system is not right. One is DEC. They renamed it but it is supposed to help those people who lost their service income because they can't work again. Well, there is lots of us that will never work again but don't meet the parameters to get DEC. So in my opinion, DEC is just to make the government look good cause it does not apply to many but the average joe public does not know that.

Nemo

Back to top Go down