Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pension for Life plan to help veterans

Go down

Pension for Life plan to help veterans Empty Pension for Life plan to help veterans

Post by Trooper Thu 15 Mar 2018, 10:05 am

Pension for Life plan to help veterans Eyolfson-+web
By: Doug Eyolfson
Posted: 03/12/2018

Pension for Life plan to help veterans E-col-eyolfson-march14
MP Doug Eyolfson introduces Parliamentary Secretary Sherry Romanado at the Winnipeg Military Family Resource Centre on Jan. 24.

During the month of February, I visited schools in Charleswood-St. James-Assiniboia-Headingley to read to students for I Love to Read month.

After reading, the students would often ask me questions about what I do in Ottawa. One of my duties the students had a lot of questions about was my role on the Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs.

I’m proud of the work my colleagues and I on the Veterans Affairs committee have done. We’re currently studying the barriers veterans face when transitioning from military to civilian life and in December, we wrapped up a study that compares veteran’s services in other jurisdictions.

Charleswood-St. James-Assiniboia-Headingley is home to 17 Wing and a large military and veteran community. The work I do on the committee is important to me, because I know how significant our sacred obligation to our brave men and women is and the impact it can have in our community and for our loves ones. I hold it to myself to make sure we get it right.

For example, in January, I joined my colleague, Parliamentary Secretary Sherry Romanado, as she announced increased support for military families at the Winnipeg Military Family Resource Centre.

Through the Strong, Secure Engaged defence policy, $6 million per year in new funding will be allocated to modernize the Military Family Services Program and provide additional support to military families across Canada and right here in our community.

The Winnipeg Military Family Resource Centre received $145,000 to expand and enhance the important services and work they are providing to our community.

Since my first day on the Veterans Affairs committee, I have advocated for the resources our veterans need to transition to civilian life, including reopening nine Veterans Affairs offices across Canada, including one here in Manitoba.

Canada owes an enormous debt of gratitude to the women and men who have served in uniform and it is our government’s responsibility to make sure that they are taken care of. That is why I was pleased the government unveiled the Pension for Life, a program designed to reduce the complexity of support programs available to veterans and their families. It proposes a broader range of benefits, including financial stability for Canada’s veterans, with a particular focus on supports for veterans with the most severe disabilities.

Our Pension for Life plan includes tax-free financial compensation, with the choice of monthly payments for life, to recognize pain and suffering caused by a service-related disability and income replacement for veterans who are experiencing barriers returning to work after military service at 90 per cent of their pre-release salary. In some circumstances, veterans may be eligible for an additional one per cent annual career progression factor.

If you have any questions or require assistance from my office on any federal matter, please contact us at 204-984-6432 or at doug.eyolfson@parl.gc.ca

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our-communities/metro/forum/Pension-for-Life-plan-to-help-veterans-476606643.html
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

https://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down