Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Actions speak louder than words when it comes to caring for veterans

3 posters

Go down

Actions speak louder than words when it comes to caring for veterans Empty Actions speak louder than words when it comes to caring for veterans

Post by Spectrum Sun 25 Mar 2018, 9:28 pm

Veteran minister defends governments efforts to support Canadian vets.

Mar. 25, 2018

Dear Editor,

Actions speak louder than words for veterans.

Over the past few weeks, Conservative Members of Parliament have said quite a bit about respecting and supporting Canada’s veterans.

It’s a wonderful gesture but it’s disingenuous and hypocritical to most Canadians.

Actions speak louder than words. And the words from MP Phil McColeman

[Langley City’s MP didn’t support veterans, Tory MP says, https://www.langleyadvance.com/opinion/letter-langley-citys-mp-didnt-support-veterans-tory-mp-says/ March 9 online letters, Langley Advance] show that he forgets it was his government that failed to support and respect Canada’s veterans when they were in power.

The previous government closed nine veterans affairs service offices across the country.

They also fired more than 1,200 staff whose sole purpose was to support veterans.

Mr. McColeman can offer all the empty platitudes he would like but history is not on his side.

So when we formed government in 2015, we did more than talk, we acted: We re-opened the nine veterans affairs offices, opened a new one in Surrey, and set up a mobile office for Northern Canada.

We hired more than 460 new staff – with plans to hire more – which helps get services and supports back to veterans.

And we’ve done much more. Our government has invested $10 billion of new money directly into services and supports for veterans and their families.

Most recently, we announced pension for life.

Pension For life offers financial support for ill and injured veterans of up to $2,650 a month, tax-free and for life.

It also means that injured veterans can receive 90 per cent of their pre-release salary on top of that if they’re unable to work.

As well, we’ve introduced the education and training benefit, which provides veterans up to $80,000 in support for post-secondary education. And if university or college is not their choice, funding is available for career and personal development courses.

We’ve also enhanced our career transition services.

These services will help veterans find meaningful work following their military career with career counselling, job search assistance, interview skills, resume writing, and much more.

But a veteran wouldn’t be who they are without the support of their family.

That’s why we’ve expanded access to military family resource centres to medically released veterans and their families. These centres provide a range of support including parenting workshops, child care, personal growth and development programming, as well as employment and educational assistance.

We’ve also introduced a caregiver recognition benefit that provides $1,000 a month, tax-free, to caregivers of ill and injured veterans to better recognize their vital role.

And to any veteran who may find themselves in urgent and unique situations, we’ve introduced the veteran emergency fund. This new fund provides financial assistance to veterans and their families quickly and efficiently in their time of need.

Saying something is easy.

Anyone can do that.

But the Conservatives found it too hard to actually show support and respect when they had the chance.

We will continue to do more for veterans.

Our actions speak louder than their words.

Seamus O’Regan,

Minister of Veterans Affairs

https://www.aldergrovestar.com/opinion/letter-actions-speak-louder-than-words-when-it-comes-to-caring-for-veterans/

Spectrum
Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Actions speak louder than words when it comes to caring for veterans Empty Re: Actions speak louder than words when it comes to caring for veterans

Post by bosn181 Mon 26 Mar 2018, 2:14 pm

It's hard for me to put into the proper words but i will give it a try. I got out in 2008 everything was all messed up broken system as well myself was broken. I was one of the lucky ones a good case manager who took care of me and i was covered. From when i got out to how things are now i can say i seen good change. Now on the other hand i seen how they use us for photo ops and say all kinds of things we want to hear but still they don't live up to what they say. The system wait times are out of control and to many being left behind or just give up trying. We still have a long way to go and i truly hope that in my life time they get the system fixed to one vet one standard. As for seamus i sorry he from nfld most of us there would give you the shirt off our backs while he would love to take it from you.

bosn181

Back to top Go down

Actions speak louder than words when it comes to caring for veterans Empty Re: Actions speak louder than words when it comes to caring for veterans

Post by Trooper Mon 26 Mar 2018, 7:00 pm

The Minister sure has the will to respond to those advocating against he's government. That's OK though because each time he opens he's mouth he shows how gullible he is in what the bureaucrats have shoved he's way.

In the last Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs more than once he was cornered where he could not answer the question asked to him, in some cases he was all over the map going off topic.

There's no doubt that the Liberals have done more for Veterans than the previous Conservatives did in it's 10 years in power. But that doesn't mean the Liberals are that much better than it's predecessor.

The Liberals have showed just how smart the bureaucrats really are. After all the bureaucrats are running the show, and you need to get up pretty early if you want to go up against the bureaucrats, this couple with the fact that they are allotted full control, and Veterans not having a protective system to protect us puts Veterans in the rear. We get, what is given, period.

The more I hear the Minister speak, the more it becomes obvious that the bureaucrats have him right where they want him. That's normally the case with appointed Ministers of Veterans Affairs, it's almost as if they are hand picked for just that reason.

One major problem I'm seeing is putting non medical Veterans under the same umbrella as injured Veterans. How much funds that they announce goes to the disabled Veteran?

There's many problems with the system as been discussed in the past. To some the system is not all that bad, to others it's just not acceptable.

As it stands now the system is geared towards getting the injured back to work, and off pensions. An insurance style system if you will.

This is a reality we all have to start accepting because it does not look like we will be going back to the one Veteran one Standard system put in place pre 2006.

What we are witnessing today is really hard to believe, we are seeing the Conservatives versus the Liberals regarding the Veterans file. This is enough to make anyone sick. That's what happens when Veterans are left un - protected. Let me make this crystal clear, both the Conservatives, and Liberals are the exact same when it comes to the Veterans file, both have no intention of listening to Veterans, acting on what Veterans are asking for, and most of all neither has the respect for Veterans they let on to have. It is a disgrace!

In the Minister mind he is on the right track on what he say's, and what actions he signs off on. There's only one problem with this mindset, He is only listening, and acting on one side.
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

https://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down