Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breach of Privacy

3 posters

Go down

Breach of Privacy Empty Breach of Privacy

Post by maniac1962 Fri 31 Aug 2018, 11:57 am

Hi all, I am new here and a veteran of 28 years. My wife is a 20 yr veteran and was just informed by VAC that they sent all her documentation for DEC assessment to the wrong people (yup that's medical documentation included). They claim they contacted the recipients and they agreed to delete the information

They claim a letter will be sent to her describing the details but I think it will lack exactly that citing privacy for those people.

Her concern is who got it and why they were chosen to receive it. Why?, based on the sensitivity of the information was it not hand carried (couriered) or encrypted in the way the government states Protected and Restricted information is to handled.

What do we do now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maniac

maniac1962

Back to top Go down

Breach of Privacy Empty Re: Breach of Privacy

Post by Forcell Fri 31 Aug 2018, 12:38 pm

Who were the recipients?

Was is sent to a different department within VAC?
Forcell
Forcell
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Forcell Fri 31 Aug 2018, 12:55 pm

According to VAC a material breach has the highest risk impact:

". A material privacy breach has the highest risk impact and is defined as one involving sensitive personal information and could reasonably be expected to cause serious injury or harm to the individual and/or involves a large number of affected individuals."

Here are individuals you can contact;

Bureau of Pensions Advocates 1-877-228-2250

Veterans Ombudsman Guy Parent 1-877-330-4343

If you are a client of Veterans Affairs Canada and you feel you have been treated unfairly, or you would like information about how to solve a problem, the Office of the Veterans Ombudsman is here to help.

Click on the link below for instructions on how to submit your complaint:

And of course if you want to sue you can obtain a civilian lawyer.
Forcell
Forcell
CF Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by maniac1962 Fri 31 Aug 2018, 1:08 pm

Think I will be using the PCO version of that since they are the authourity on privacy. Neither VAC Ombudsman nor PBA handles that, their words. According to them VAC Privacy Coordinator (I assume is part of the ministry office), which I believe is the one that called her in the first place.

Last edited by maniac1962 on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional comment)

maniac1962

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper Fri 31 Aug 2018, 6:29 pm

maniac1962 wrote:Hi all, I am new here and a veteran of 28 years.  My wife is a 20 yr veteran and was just informed by VAC that they sent all her documentation for DEC assessment to the wrong people (yup that's medical documentation included).  They claim they contacted the recipients and they agreed to delete the information

They claim a letter will be sent to her describing the details but I think it will lack exactly that citing privacy for those people.

Her concern is who got it and why they were chosen to receive it.  Why?,  based on the sensitivity of the information was it not hand carried (couriered) or encrypted in the way the government states Protected and Restricted information is to handled.

What do we do now?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maniac

Wait until you hear the details because it might just be a case where it was sent to the wrong department within the departments. With the DEC assessment they would need most if not all of the Med info. Unless you get an outside dept looking into this your going to have to take their word on the details. It's not a one person step in reporting this privacy. There is a privacy system that is put in place within VAC, so more then one individual would know of this particular issue, so chances are what is reported in the details would be accurate.

Either way it is up to the individual who has been affected by this issue to either let it go, or follow up with further action.
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

https://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down