Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance

+3
prawnstar
Trooper
Newf
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance Empty Exceptional Incapacity Allowance

Post by Newf Mon 15 Jan 2018, 11:06 am

Folks, a lady called me from VAC this morning to advise she is the new case worker assigned to my file. She introduced herself and advise me that she had reviewed my file to become familuar with my issues/VAC benefits.

In speaking with her, she stated that I could now apply for the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance and additional housekeeping benefits. Being the stubborn person that I am, I told her I do not need any help right now with housekeeping because my wife/kids do most of the housework and I can still do many chores around the house. I explained to her I am still working full time but in a workplace accommedation position. She suggested I think about the application for EIA and advise her if I would like to meet with her to make the application.

Does anyone know what is involved with this EIA application? What sort of questions and evaluation will be done by her for the EIA? I really don't think I qualify as I am still working full time and I am suspicious of this process. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Newf
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance Empty Re: Exceptional Incapacity Allowance

Post by Trooper Mon 15 Jan 2018, 12:35 pm

Newf wrote:Folks, a lady called me from VAC this morning to advise she is the new case worker  assigned to my file.  She  introduced herself and advise me that she had reviewed my file to become familuar with my issues/VAC benefits.

In speaking with her, she stated that I could now apply for the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance and additional housekeeping benefits.  Being the stubborn person that I am, I told her I do not need any help right now with housekeeping because my wife/kids do most of the housework and I can still do many chores around the house.    I explained to her I am still working full time but in a workplace accommedation position.   She suggested I think about the application for EIA and advise her if I would like to meet with her to make the application.

Does anyone know what is involved with this EIA application?  What sort of questions and evaluation will be done by her for the EIA?   I really don't think I qualify as I am still working full time and I am suspicious of this process.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
Newf

Newf,

One thing with the pension act employment is not a factor with the disability pension, and in some cases with the allowances.

You need to be 98% or above disabled to qualify for an application for the EIA.

There's 5 grades to the EIA, if your working you may qualify for grade 5 or even grade 4. If your approved for this at a lower level once you stop work, and things progress with any of your conditions you can apply for a higher grade. This is all tax free, and once approved for any grade it's pretty much for life with no further assessments. If you volunteer to ask for a decrease if your conditions improves, they will lower or cancel it.

As far as the process goes it's straight forward, your cm will visit, they will have forms that they will fill while asking you questions. I will give you a link at the bottom of this post, check out: 7.06 - The Determination of Grade Levels Under Section 72

Regarding additional benefits for housekeeping, apply for that also because it will lesson the load for your wife. This housekeeping benefit is for your family.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-07-2006
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

https://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar Mon 15 Jan 2018, 1:40 pm

Newf if your CM is telling you should apply for VIP and EIA go for it. It took me two years of my CM encouraging me to do the same. I wish I would have taken her advice sooner.

prawnstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Mon 15 Jan 2018, 3:10 pm

Thanks guys, I will take your advice.
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Mon 07 May 2018, 10:06 pm

Made the decision today and submitted my one page EIA application on the myvac website.  I was given opportunity to submit supporting documents for this application.   Does anyone know what documents I may need to submit if any?

Newf

Last edited by Newf on Mon 07 May 2018, 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper Tue 08 May 2018, 5:46 am

Newf wrote:Made the decision today and submitted my one page EIA application on the myvac website.  I was given opportunity to submit supporting documents for this application.   Does anyone know what documents I may need to submit if any?

Newf

Your CM should look after your application process.

Unless it changed from previous years the application process was done through a CM.

I would contact your CM and ask for support in your application.
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Tue 08 May 2018, 6:27 am

Perfect. Thanks Trooper
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Fri 11 May 2018, 7:19 pm

CM called me today and we setup a meeting at his office in two weeks time. I am not required to bring any documents with me. He indicated we would complete some type of assessment to determine my needs first followed by the EIA application. I was told this would take about two hours at the local VAC office.

Feeling a little nervous and anxious about this meeting. It’s gonna be a long couple of weeks.
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper Fri 11 May 2018, 7:35 pm

The way it use to work the CM would fill out paperwork while asking the client questions. The questions are from the paperwork he has, like for instance on a scale from 1 to 10 where would you fit in difficulty in walking up stairs, 1 being no problem, 5 being somewhat of a problem, and 10 being cannot climb stairs. Questions like these are what is asked, then from the answers he or she can determine the qualifying, and the level.

From that visit everything should be in place from that one visit. Your CM should be able to recommend, and send out the application from there.

That said, things may have changed with the EIA process. Some physical assessment may be in the works as well it's hard to say for sure.

My advice would be to walk in slowly, and sit slowly, and get up slowly. All as if your tired. Be polite, and let the CM do all the talking.

Good luck
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper Fri 11 May 2018, 7:45 pm

Some things to consider for the EIA;

EIA Determining Factors:

a. left the member in a helpless condition;

b. left him in continuing pain and discomfort;

c. resulted in loss of enjoyment of life;

d. shortened his life expectancy.

Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Fri 11 May 2018, 9:12 pm

Thanks again Trooper for this info.  Good to know what I will be facing. Most appreciated.
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Mon 28 May 2018, 6:32 pm

Well, I attended the VAC office and met with my case manager. We went through the form for EIA question by question. Some of the questions were difficult to answer but after two hours we got through it.

Trooper, you were correct in the nature of the interview so I was able to prepare myself for this interview.

I was told by my case manager the form would be submitted online in three or four days. An adjudication will take place sometime in the next couple of months. I should exp3ct a decision in August of 2018.

The value of this website in sharing information amoung all our brothers and sisters is awesome. It certainly helps in dealing with the stressses of VAC.

Newf
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper Mon 28 May 2018, 7:08 pm

Newf wrote:Well, I attended the VAC office and met with my case manager.   We went through the form for EIA question by question.   Some of the questions were difficult to answer but after two hours we got through it.  

Trooper, you were correct in the nature of the interview so I was able to prepare myself for this interview.

I was told by my case manager  the form would be submitted online in three or four days.   An adjudication will take place sometime in the next couple of months.  I should exp3ct a decision in August of 2018.

The value of this website in sharing information amoung all our brothers and sisters is awesome.   It certainly helps in dealing with the stressses of VAC.  

Newf

Good stuff Newf,

A wise and caring CM once told me when answering questions involved in the aspects of obtaining benefits from VAC is to always answer the questions based on your worse day or days. In other words they don't expect you to be in a bad state 24/7 to qualify for any benefit, that is not what is required, just because you may look or fell OK on the day of the assessment does not mean you don't qualify for what your being assessed for. Always answer using your worse time period of ailment or condition for what you are seeking.
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Thu 19 Jul 2018, 9:34 am

Quick Update
Well, good news from VAC. I just checked my vac account a few days ago. I have been approved for EIA. I just wanted to say thanks to those on this website who encouraged me to apply and who provided advice on this process by posting info or private messaging me. This process was very fast from the time of my application to a decision...about eight weeks in total.

Thanks again,
Newf
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Thu 19 Jul 2018, 10:47 am

Newf good to hear that and good to see it did not take long for you to get approved.

You must be on the pension act.

If you haven't already applied for or receiving the Attendance Allowance you may want to look into it.

Attendance Allowance Entitlement: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/benefits-determined/table-of-disabilities/ch-05-2006
Victor
Victor
Advocate Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next