Canadian Veterans Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance

+3
prawnstar
Trooper
Newf
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance - Page 2 Empty Re: Exceptional Incapacity Allowance

Post by Trooper Thu 19 Jul 2018, 6:51 pm

That's good news Newf, the EIA is normally approved at the lower level or mid level the first approval. Level 1 for 2018 is set at $1,478.29 Monthly. The EIA is for life unless the Veteran comes forward requesting it be downgraded or stopped. If your not approved for the top 2018 rate of $1,478.29 and down the road apply for an upgrade, they will not lower your already approved rate if the upgrade is not approved. So your safe to apply down the road.

I would echo Victor's post on the Attendance Allowance if you don't already have it. The benefit is paid to the Veteran and the Veteran chooses how they use the funds. In other words you don't have to provide receipts or provide any individuals who are providing assistance. Here is the 2018 rates for the Attendance Allowance:

Grade

1 $1,847.82

2 $1,663.12

3 $1,108.73

4 $739.21

5 $295.75
Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

https://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance - Page 2 Empty Re: Exceptional Incapacity Allowance

Post by Newf Thu 19 Jul 2018, 9:36 pm

I am very happy and thankful to be receiving this allowance even though it’s the lower rate. Hopefully my conditions does not worsen.

I have applied for the ATtendance Allowance at the same time as my EIA application. I met with the nurse about three weeks ago and went through the same questions and answers about my conditions/life. The nurse told me she is recommending the allowance based on the assessment but I was advised the VAC makes determination. Hope to hear on this allowance soon.

Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper Fri 20 Jul 2018, 7:26 am

Years ago it was the CM who would make the recommendation to VAC reference the allowances built into the pension act. Also no nurse was required all was done through your CM. It was not uncommon to have all allowances assessed all at the same time with one CM visit.

Regarding your application for the Attendance Allowance if the nurse is saying or recommending the allowance based on the assessment, chances are you will be approved.

The EIA & AA are good benefits to have even at a lower rate because combined with your disability pension will give you the financial security you need. Also you can apply for a rate increase down the road if your condition/conditions worsen.

Trooper
Trooper
Administrator

https://cvdbsf.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Fri 20 Jul 2018, 9:40 am

I think it would make a great deal of sense to have the CM assess all allowances.   With respect to my situation, I spent nearly two hours explaining my situation to my CM and then a short time later another two hours rehashing the same information to a Nurse. I certainly think  the monies spent by the GOC could be better managed on these assessment processes.

That’s great news and I am hoping to be approved.  I am very surprised at how fast these decisions are made.  This takes a lot of stress away especially for our older vets.

Again, I am thankful we have this forum to share our experiences and to support each other.
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Wed 10 Apr 2019, 2:35 pm

Reassessment of EIA
----------------------------
I was awarded a Grade 5 EIA last year while trying to get back to work.  Unfortunately after four weeks, my medical conditions became worse, I went off sick again and now I can no longer work.  I have made the decision to take a medical discharge.

Should I be applying for a reassessment of my EIA to see if I meet criteria for Grade 4?  

Is it possible to loose my grade 5 EIA as a result of a reassessment?

Thoughts or suggestions?

Newf

Last edited by Newf on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Wed 10 Apr 2019, 3:35 pm

Newf wrote:Reassessment of EIA
----------------------------
I was awarded a Grade 5 EIA last year.   I attempted to return to work part time then gradually going back to full time hours in the Fall of 2018.  Unfortunately after four weeks, my medical conditions became worse, I went off sick again and now I can no longer work.  I have made the decision to take a medical discharge.

Should I be applying for a reassessment of my EIA to see if I meet criteria for Grade 4?  

Is it possible to loose my grade 5 EIA as a result of a reassessment?

Thoughts or suggestions?

Newf

The only way you will lose or have your EIA downgraded is if you submit by writing to VAC requesting your condition has improved, and you no longer wish to receive the EIA.

The main reason behind submitting a request for upgrading you EIA is that your condition has worsen.

What I would do is submit this request in MY VAC ACCOUNT. Don't request a level of upgrade. Just submit you are at level 5 EIA, and your condition has worsen beyond the level of 5. I would just start there as they will likely contact your cm for a reassessment. You may or may not have to see your doctor to write this new info of worsening illness. So my advice would be to submit this request in MY VAC ACCOUNT, and leave it at that until they contact you with directions.  

I would be doing this asap.
Oliver
Oliver
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf Thu 11 Apr 2019, 6:40 am

Thanks Oliver.
Newf
Newf
RCMP Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey79 Mon 27 May 2019, 8:29 pm

I applied for EIA last month and Attendance Allowance 3 weeks ago, just seen on My VAC that I was approved Grade 4 AA, less than 3 weeks after applying pretty fast. My question is does anybody know or think I’ll get EIA or are EIA and AA have anything to do with each other? Thanks for any replies, this site has a wealth of advice and knowledge.

Mikey79

Back to top Go down

Post by Slider Mon 27 May 2019, 9:05 pm

Mikey79 wrote:I applied for EIA last month and Attendance Allowance 3 weeks ago, just seen on My VAC that I was approved Grade 4 AA, less than 3 weeks after applying pretty fast. My question is does anybody know or think I’ll get EIA or are EIA and AA have anything to do with each other? Thanks for any replies, this site has a wealth of advice  and knowledge.

Both the AA & EIA are pension act benefits. The AA is for the need of assistance or supervision with daily living. The EIA is for those with an exceptional incapacity that is a result of, in whole or in part, the condition(s) for which you are receiving a disability benefit.
Without knowing the facts within the application for the EIA one cannot say for sure of the outcome. It depends on what is in the application. You should have a good idea of the outcome based on what was presented in your application. One thing about these pension act allowances is that they are acted on in a short period of time, so you will likely know soon enough.
Slider
Slider
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikey79 Mon 27 May 2019, 9:13 pm

Thank you for your quick reply, the nurse that came to my house did the EIA questions and the AA right after, that’s why I was wondering if they had anything to do with each other.

Mikey79

Back to top Go down

Post by Oliver Sat 14 Mar 2020, 10:01 am

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance

Details Here: Exceptional Incapacity Allowance - Page 2 439216585 EIA

Oliver
Oliver
Benefits Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2